Our Sponsors:

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 2:00pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, there are exceptions, but it stands to reason that a lot more BJJ guys find it safer to sweep and maintain top control than throw up triangles and such from the bottom.
    That's really what it comes down to. Screwing up a sub from the bottom can leave you in a REALLY bad place.

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 6:33pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it's funny because Tony has been -training MMA- to -FIGHT in MMA- talking about Why -boxing is better-. wtf?

well, major credit to James Tony for basically being the only Pure Boxer to enter the ring and fight a MMA fighter. Now we need to find a way to get Floyd Mayweather to fight Deigo Sanchez or something...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 8:20pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    Are they? I feel like it's been a really long time since we've seen BJ actually sub someone from guard. He's more of a sweep-to-mount-to-back guy as I remember, but maybe I'm mistaken.
    kintanon pointed out that he can't find evidence of BJ getting a sub from his back since blue belt. that does not mean he hasn't done so since then, but it does appear that he has a very particular game plan.

however, i'm certain that his guard subs would be above purple belt level. i'd say he just prefers not to use them. and in this case, where it would have come in handy, they probably weren't good enough to catch edgar.

though he didn't make a sub attempt at all, did he?

also, BJ is supposed to have some of the best takedown defense in MMA. yet if this was the only fight you'd ever seen BJ in, you'd think it was a weakness on his part.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 1:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought Edgar's endurance was excellent then I saw these.

YouTube- TFW Bodyweight Challenge Champion Frankie Edgar

YouTube- TFW 3 Min Dips for Reps Freakshow!

Edit: Youtube embedding working?

Edit: Guess so.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 6:05pm

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    kintanon pointed out that he can't find evidence of BJ getting a sub from his back since blue belt. that does not mean he hasn't done so since then, but it does appear that he has a very particular game plan.

however, i'm certain that his guard subs would be above purple belt level. i'd say he just prefers not to use them. and in this case, where it would have come in handy, they probably weren't good enough to catch edgar.
    I remember that during the whole "grease-gate" thing, BJ's camp claimed that the greasing hurt his ability to sub GSP from his guard.

And on the other hand, GSP's BJJ coach or some other well-known gracie (can't remember who) said that BJ had never submitted anyone from his back in MMA. He was mostly known for getting the other guys back or the mount and then either GNP or choke.

Personally I think BJ finds it hard to keep focused for more than a few fights in a row, cause he was very good against Kenflo and Diego, but I guess he recieved some hype and forgot he had to keep working for it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 9:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the main thing for me is that i don't want people to get the impression that he doesn't know how to sub from his back or isn't technically capable of it. i'd also find it strange to think that someone of his level would not take the opportunity to sub when it was there for the taking. i put it down to either the high level of his opponents, or bad strategy on his behalf (which i would also find strange), or both.

this video shows him submitting people from the guard as a white belt:

YouTube- BJ Penn - Jiu Jitsu Prodigy

i'd say he's pretty good at it by now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2010 12:16pm

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ View Post
    And yes, I can't say enough about how bad Toney was. I expected him to get owned, but he did even worse than I anticipated. I think he was just looking for a payday, personally.I have zero respect for him, and I didn't realize until that night how truly dumb he really is.
    I just hope Dana doesn't make a regular thing outof these sidehow events, or else the slide towards a WWE atmosphere will only increase and the sport will lose credibility.There is no need to re establish the things we learned in the first 5 UFC events.
    Boxers need to stay in the Boxing ring and do their thing and likewise with MMA fighters.
    Tomey received half a million for being submitted in the first round. That is slightly over one third of the disclosed payroll of $1.428 million for UFC 118. That makes me want to :icon_puke

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/02/2010 4:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how much money did toney generate for the UFC?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2010 11:40am

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    how much money did toney generate for the UFC?
    That's a good question. I felt 118 was a strong card already, and would expect name recognition of BJ Penn and Randy, plus lightweight title defense would have fuelled PPV buys. Hard to say how many extra fans the UFC picked up from boxing, but that would definitely have translated extra revenue for the UFC even if the hype overshadowed the bout.

Posted On:
    9/03/2010 12:48pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsukyomi View Post
    well, major credit to James Tony for basically being the only Pure Boxer to enter the ring and fight a MMA fighter. Now we need to find a way to get Floyd Mayweather to fight Deigo Sanchez or something...
    Since we're giving credit, let's recognize Ricardo Mayorga for being the first to my recollection of a big name boxer attempting to enter mixed martial arts competition.

Too bad Don King sabotaged that at the last minute

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1570421/
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789