Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 5:55am

Style: Uechi Ryu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kregna View Post
    Is ground work something to be bothered by, though? I've been led to believe by experienced martial artists (30+ years), that Karate does include it (perhaps in kata).
    I think you're more likely to find takedowns than actual groundwork within karate. Having said that, the school may have supplemented karate with something else.

Check with 2Groggy - he will know better for Goju

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 6:12am

Style: Muay Thai, Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like others said: the school is very traditional. Unlike the others, I see that as a negative point. Usually (at least in shito ryu and shotokan) traditional means lots of kata, lots of kihon and less jiyu kumite.

Training under a former World Champion, though I don't know which organisation, is impressive so that's a plus.

I'm neutral about the hojo undo training. Yes it's nice but a fitness gym would work better.

The video's they posted aren't bad but don't really give a lot of information either.

I think they deffinately have the technical parts down and it is probably a good school if you're looking for a traditional club with emphasis on kata and kihon istead of kumité. If that is what you're searching for than I don't think you can do wrong with that club.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 9:51am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train traditional style and we kumite pretty much every class, not to mention one-steps, and some pad drills. In my view traditional training usually goes through kata very slowly, some students spending a couple rank studying just one kata before learning the next. Anyway, don't dismiss too much without seeing it for yourself. But you do want to find a place where they have some good sparring (dojo sparring, sport sparring), as many dojo do fall into the category others have mentioned where they just don't spar much (could be lack of interest in the teacher, lack of good people to partner up with, etc).

You didn't do much "alive" training in jujitsu? I don't understand what you guys would have done in class?

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 10:01am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    I train traditional style and we kumite pretty much every class, not to mention one-steps, and some pad drills. In my view traditional training usually goes through kata very slowly, some students spending a couple rank studying just one kata before learning the next. Anyway, don't dismiss too much without seeing it for yourself. But you do want to find a place where they have some good sparring (dojo sparring, sport sparring), as many dojo do fall into the category others have mentioned where they just don't spar much (could be lack of interest in the teacher, lack of good people to partner up with, etc).

You didn't do much "alive" training in jujitsu? I don't understand what you guys would have done in class?
    Well I still want a class that spars and does realistic training, but I believe you can get a lot out of kata if you're shown its combat applications properly.

As for the jujutsu, the class was basically trained as judo with some crap striking. We practised randori with small joint manipulation, but when we did defence drills, we never did it with any resistance. The punches were doing very slowly (I know they have to be to start with, but this was the same for the higher ups in my class), etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 10:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's odd Krenga, where did you train jujitsu/judo at? My school combines the two...with a focus on judo mondays and focus on jujitsu weds. Both days we always do conditioning to begin (shrimping, core work, ukemi drills, etc), then we do at least a few techniques of the non-focused style, then both classes always finish class with several 5-minute randori sessions, usually starting from the standing clinch.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of kata..but don't want to get into it as there are one or two threads that are discussing that now...or at least in the last month. Bunkai is critically important aspect of kata and is the primary reason I started training martial styles outside of karate...to enhance "free" bunkai techniques where we could choose our own interpretations of the moves (kata with mawashiuke in it, kata saifa, tensho, seiunchin, suparinpei etc all have great examples of techniques that could be interpreted many ways).

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 11:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gutterfighting/Shorin-Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun Assassin View Post
    Craig - I e-mailed you yesterday. Check your spam box maybe. I put Uechi-Ryu in the subject line.
    Craig - Second e-mail sent.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 12:52pm

Style: Uechi Ryu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun Assassin View Post
    Craig - Second e-mail sent.
    I'll respond when I get home - can't pick it up from work. Can't explain why the first one didn't get through.

Sorry for the thread derail.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 10:31pm

Style: Judo & BJJ hacker

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kregna View Post
    Is ground work something to be bothered by, though? I've been led to believe by experienced martial artists (30+ years), that Karate does include it (perhaps in kata).
    In my experience,,, Takedowns = yes (but crappy compared to judo) and groundwork = no

But the site had videos related to judo history. So perhaps they supplement karate with judo throws and newaza (ground fighting).

As for double secret hidden ground techniques in katas - big nope. The "bunkai", or practical applications of kata are typically not taught in detail to beginners anyway. If you are interested in bunkai, I can recommend a good book, but for now, just get used to hitting things without hurting yourself or your training partners.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 10:48pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a big point I want to stress as well:

There are absolutely no ground fighting (grappling) "secret" techniques in karate kata (especially if it's in an Okinawan style).

None. This is a business tactic and misinformation. There is one move that I can think of from Saifa that could maybe be a defense against a single-leg, but I doubt it would ever work in an alive setting. (I haven't had the chance to try it out.)
    Last edited by helmutlvx; 8/12/2010 10:51pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2010 12:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2grog,
    What book are you recommending for bunkai?

My karate teacher, when I asked about ground fighting, basically said "I'd just be really violent and rip at their face and eyes and stuff." All good things, but I wasn't satisfied with that so looked for additional training in other arts. Granted, I was a high kyu level at this time...so, while this is debatable, its always good to get at least two feet in the door of once style before training in another so as not to be too confused. I'll leave what "two feet in the door" means up to the individual practitioner.

Takedowns in karate are pretty minimalistic, like 2grog said. I think we had one called "nage" in our one-steps...other than that just some basic reaps and sweeps, and I think that was just added on by other instructors to the curriculum.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast