Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/11/2010 7:50pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Does this look like a good Goju Ryu dojo?

http://www.southwestlondonkarate.co.uk/index.php

I wouldn't mind getting a few different opinions. The website is informative and tells you the clubs lineage, focus, training methods, etc.

Thank you

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2010 8:03pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I looked through the whole website, then looked around for some videos of them training and couldn't find any.

Honestly, I'm torn on it. While being connected with both Morio Higaonna and Anichi Miyagi is pretty goddamn impressive, there was a small mention of "ground fighting" and "FIGHT NIGHT" in big bold letters in varying places.

Do you know someone who trains there or train there yourself?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2010 8:06pm

Style: Uechi Ryu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Disclaimer - I practice Uechiryu, not Goju, but I'd offer the following:

- They couldn't be any more up front about who they are and what they do. Full lineage, bio, discussion of what they do and don't do. +1

- Appears to be a very traditional school - the hojoundo equipment is out and out old school with chiishi and everything. +1 (but only if that's what you want)

- They make it clear you will not spar to begin with, and there is a little bit of the 'too deadly to use' language in the FAQ. Again, from my limited experience this is as much an indication that they are 'traditional' as anything, but honestly at least they're saying so up front and you can decide if it's for you.

If it's not hard to get to, contact them and go see a class. I'd say try to see a beginner class, but also go watch on their 'every second Thurs is fight night' so you can see where it's all going to take you.

My 2c. Hope it helps.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/11/2010 8:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gutterfighting/Shorin-Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would definitely go down and check them out if I were you. The lineage is impressive as Craig has already stated. Any school that actively uses Hojo Undo in their training can't be too bad. Seriously though, the only footage I've found are the links located on the site of Marchant and 2 others running a self defense routine. Not a big selling point for me. Since they seem to be proud of their fight nights I would check that out. Is it pillowhands nonsense or do they do something along the lines of Bogu Kumite or even if you're extremely lucky some full contact.

Keep us posted, I love to see the traditional and classical forms flourish.

- Shogun

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2010 9:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun Assassin View Post
    I would definitely go down and check them out if I were you. The lineage is impressive as Craig has already stated.
    If you were paying any attention to anything I said you would have dropped a line after I ran all over to get you an answer on LI dojos.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/11/2010 9:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gutterfighting/Shorin-Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Jenkins View Post
    If you were paying any attention to anything I said you would have dropped a line after I ran all over to get you an answer on LI dojos.
    Craig - I e-mailed you yesterday. Check your spam box maybe. I put Uechi-Ryu in the subject line.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2010 10:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DNR - try again or post your email - I checked, what I posted was right, and no spam. I just dont want to post the guys email and name in the thread - no url to offer.

Kregna - seriously no reason to not have a look if you are looking for traditional karate. Really depends on your goals (usually the first question I ask when people ask this sort of thing). I don't know if you are new in or have some background in one thing or another, which might help with a reco. Let us know.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2010 10:59pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know that lineage too well (other than C. Miyagi and Hiagona obviously) as I came from Motoo Yamakura and Gogen Yamaguchi, but I would say its worth at least a look.

I wouldn't be too put off by non-traditional events at a traditional school. My old GoJu school did aikido and judo for a few years and we also had get-together nights to just basically put on 5oz gloves and scrap...although we didn't announce it.

I'd visit that dojo if I was traveling through the area.

Best of luck

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2010 11:23pm

Style: Judo & BJJ hacker

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a nidan in Goju Ryu, but not with IOGKF. I've spent a lot of classes punching air at my first 2 dojos and ended up having a nasty surprise when I switched to a dojo that trained with the heavy bags and real contact. There is mention pad work though, so I'll add a vote for "check it out".

Perhaps the place where I train is less traditional, and less focussed on kata, but I'm not a fan of the self defense demos. It's just not my cup of tea. But you can't tell much from a web site and a 2 minute video of a demo.

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 5:06am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, thanks for the FAST replies!

To answer some of your questions...

I've been studying Jujutsu for about a year now, but we didn't train realistically (so I'm definitely going to be looking for that in my next school).

Yep, I'm after a traditional school that has realistic defence drills, kata - where the combat applications are shown, etiquette, etc.

Is ground work something to be bothered by, though? I've been led to believe by experienced martial artists (30+ years), that Karate does include it (perhaps in kata).

Some great answers, everyone. Thank you. I'll definitely be checking it out in a week or so (right now I'm staying at my dad's far away), and will let you all know what I find! In the mean time I might drop them an email... :biggrin:
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast