Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2010 6:36pm

Style: TKD & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Need some help from you FMA guys

A friend of mine wants to join an FMA school, but is apparently not very google savvy. Anyway I found this place near us http://www.doceparesusa.com/home.html I'm not really familiar with any FMA, but I want to be sure I'm not sending him to a Mcdojo. I looked at the site and it's not claiming anything outrageous, so I think it's fine. However, I'd like to see if you guys see anything that sets off a red flag.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2010 7:34pm

Style: Sticks & Jits & Fritz

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The stickfighting side of things looks good, it's competitive stickfighting with training for tournaments. Depends on wether they emphasize the stickfighting or forms competitions.

When I did doce pares there was Wekaf sparring every weekend.

The MMA side of things wouldn't be up to the standard of other gyms as there was only mention of a weekend class.

There was mention of a free trial lesson, you should go together and at least check it out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2010 7:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's probably a good idea and who knows I might find something I like there if I go with.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2010 9:01pm

Style: PTK, MT, & Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tell him to go there. The PIMA academy is considered by many to be one of the best Doce Pares Multi Style schools outside of the PI. Yes there will be great stick fighting and unfortunately it will be under WEKAF rules (i'm not a fan). However, your buddy can seek out more contact in terms of sparring or fighting at a variety of locations if that is his desire. In addition, some of the absolute best and most practical knife work I have seen was in the DP - Multi Style system. If the school was anywhere near me, I would be camped outside their door until they took me on as a student.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 8:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This would be another really, really good option in that area depending on where your buddy lives.
    princeton martial artsl - Google Search

Rick Tucci is a great artist who is certified in Inosanto-LaCoste Kali, Doce Pares Eskrima, and Lameco Eskrima along with Silat, Muay Thai, JKD, etc. Great school and hard training up there. They also offer BJJ, MMA, etc. I had the fortune of training with one of Guro Rick's more advanced students for a class and I was very impressed with his skill and his demeanor. If he is closer to the city, your buddy will be spoiled for great FMA, if he is a little further south, this would be an awesome option as well. If l lived close to the Doce Pares school, I would go there. If I was in between these two, it would be a tough choice to make.

I honestly don't think your friend can go wrong either way. Again, if he is closer to the city, he will have even more options.
    Last edited by jwinch2; 8/12/2010 8:42am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2010 8:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We both live in Jersey City where the PIMA is located, but he lives basically right around the corner from it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2010 1:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Griff View Post
    We both live in Jersey City where the PIMA is located, but he lives basically right around the corner from it.
    In that case, it is a no brainer as far as I am concerned. I would tell him to go there without reservation. If hard sparring is something he is into, it may or may not be an option there. Likely it will, but probably under WEKAF rules which have their pluses and minuses. I have been to FMA schools where both were the case. In the one where it was not, a few students got together in a park on a regular basis to bang sticks or training blades, in the other, we did it as a regular part of class. I learned a ton at both places...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2010 10:58am

Style: JKD/Kali/Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have trained with Dong Cuesta . He's a good man who knows his stuff , he was the coach for the US team in 1991 fighting in the Phillipines

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 12:12pm

Style: Suntukaran

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I heard Dong Cuesta isn't actively teaching anymore.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2010 8:56am

Style: Suntukaran

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just found out that PIMA Academy and/or Dong Cuesta is well and actively teaching.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast