Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 1:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Zen Do Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok the stuff im doing is semi alive. The pad work imvolves moving as such. The only things that is different yest is sparring.

Mybe i should do a contact session once a week at another club and learn the moves at this one?

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 1:09pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bench press helped me for increasing pushups. Just the standard 12,8,6 reps.

Listen to Pointy shiny bum.

Here is some random freestyle karate blackbelts sparring.
    See if you can work out why I have posted this
    YouTube- Freestyle karate sparring blackbelt grading 2

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 1:10pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why not “learn the moves” at the club that actually does sparring, if you want to learn that skill?

One of the problems with a club that does not do sparring is that there’s no guarantee that anyone does them quite right, because there’s no immediate feedback to doing it wrong. In a club where people spar, there’s no room to build bad habits, so everyone will do things right (or at least closer to it). If the other people in your current club don’t spar, how do you know that you are being taught to do things the right way? You already know that you aren’t training to do them the right way.

I am personally a big believer in immediate feedback. They say that when you train an animal, like disciplining a dog, you have to punish their mistakes immediately because if you wait more than a few moments they won’t learn the association between mistake and punishment. I find that something pretty damn similar applies to training myself. I mean, I may intellectually know e.g. that being to slow or passive in BJJ stymies my progress, but there’s no substitute for rolling no-gi and noticing that every time I am passive or lazy, I get demolished immediately.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 1:12pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ye i know what you mean the zen do for me is all about flexability and fitness then my goal was to move to more of a contact club or move to muay thai depends how confident i fell after i have reached my goals.

Can anyone tell me once i have fnished general kickboxing how different it will be to learning muay time, is it similar?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 1:18pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Benchpress hmmm doesnt that build you chest up to much? Freestyle karate is zen do kickboxing as a contact looks good gread vid.

Thanks for all the feedback dunno if it wil help me with my press ups but might healp me learn to fight properly :).

Maybe i should try muay thai.

Alex

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 1:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am going to say sorta.
    If you find the right school they will take their time in training you. moving from punch like this slowly to punch this pad and then eventually light sparring moving into contact.

The style itself will be almost completly different foot work punching kicking and grappling which I dont think you have done.
    I personally feel it is a better system. Just more inteligently thought out.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 1:22pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If i were to do freestyle karate lets say is there much condition worked involved in that?

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 1:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by alexmw106 View Post
    Benchpress hmmm doesnt that build you chest up to much? Freestyle karate is zen do kickboxing as a contact looks good gread vid.

Thanks for all the feedback dunno if it wil help me with my press ups but might healp me learn to fight properly :).

Maybe i should try muay thai.

Alex
    I assume you mean you will lose speed if you lift weights? not really true unless you get really big which takes years of focused body building training to do.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 1:24pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can anyone tell me once i have fnished general kickboxing how different it will be to learning muay time, is it similar?
    Plain vanilla kickboxing is a combat sport pretty closely related to Muay Thai (which is arguably a particular kind of kickboxing particularly known for its clinchwork, elbows, and knees).

What you have done is not ordinary kickboxing, though, but cardio kickboxing—no-contact kickboxing without kicking or boxing anybody.

I emphasise this difference because if you walk into a Muay Thai gym and tell them you’ve done kickboxing for X years they might assume you have significant sparring experience and throw you in the deep end of the pool (or they might think you’re an arrogant poser when it turns out you have no such experience). Best be frank about the fact that you’re starting from square 1!

For the record, the very small amount of light, MT-flavoured kickboxing I have done involved the hardest, most painful conditioning and cardio I have ever suffered. Good stuff.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 1:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If i were to do freestyle karate lets say is there much condition worked involved in that?
    If you want to be good at any physical activity there is conditioning.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast