Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2010 8:40pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like the UG is harassing him so better get screen shots of things while they are up. He has already deleted his Facebook account.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    8/11/2010 9:43pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlJock View Post
    Looks like the UG is harassing him so better get screen shots of things while they are up. He has already deleted his Facebook account.
    That's a shame. I was hoping he would jump on this thread and give his side on things.

Posted On:
    8/11/2010 10:18pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you guys kick ass! great work!

Posted On:
    8/11/2010 10:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saved his resume, that is in .pdf format. His myspace is still active just as nauseating as his resume.

This guy has started a wildfire. JJF, bulshido, and MMAunderground all have topics on this guy. Maybe there is more, but I think reading 3 different threads is a bit much.

I hate to say it, but this guy brought it on himself. Anyone making the claims that he's made should be called on it.. even if it's from 1,000's of crazy internet users.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 8:55am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Renzo's Black Belt list is pretty damn short. He really couldn't have picked a worse lineage to lie about. I'll be asking my coach tonight (Paul Creighton a Renzo BB) if he has ever heard of the guy.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 9:53am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Renzo's Black Belt list is pretty damn short. He really couldn't have picked a worse lineage to lie about. I'll be asking my coach tonight (Paul Creighton a Renzo BB) if he has ever heard of the guy.
    I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be "who?"

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 10:43pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I talked to Paul tonight he was definitely there training during the time this guy claims to have received his BB. Not only has he never heard of him Renzo's gym wasn't in NJ at that time. Also, 2000 would have made him one of Renzo's first BB around the same time as Ricardo Almeida. There is no way this guy received his BB from Renzo at that time or any other.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    8/13/2010 1:05am

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Checking NAGA results on nationallyranked.com, there are a few David Martinez's but none who took any championships in the years that he claims ('01 - '07).

Here are results from 2002: http://www.nationallyranked.com/inde...iewSeason=2002

No 'Martinez' anywhere in any of those events. Similar sampling from 2003 and 2006 nobody by that name placing.

Side note: there are only listings from 2002 and on.

Grappler's Quest has results scattered everywhere (they really need to centralize it), but anybody who placed as often as David says in his resume would have been noted and VERY well known in the BJJ community. VERY WELL KNOWN. He isn't on the Grappler's Quest radar anywhere.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2010 7:44am

Style: BJJ ultra-noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just received word from Hammer Kickboxing, that they do not think what he has on his resume is representative of what he did while employed there :).

I'm seeking permission to repost the email to this forum, but in short Martinez taught No Gi and a little stand up. The fight team endeavour was never successful (despite his myspace spamming seemed to indicate). There were concerns about students leaving due to Martinez. Martinez was let go in March '09. His level of ability was not considered BB.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2010 6:58pm

Style: BJJ ultra-noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He has given permission this morning but due to having to work for a living I'm only getting time to post it now, here is my email to Mike Whelpley of Hammer Kickboxing:

Quote Originally Posted by Email from TheDingo to Hammer Kickboxing
    > Hello Mike Whelpley,

I am a forum member of bullshido.net which is currently investigating David Martinez's black belt claims in BJJ. I was hoping to confirm with you the tenure of his employment as stated on his resume:

2008 to present Hammer Kickboxing Sycamore, IL
    I run the Strength & Conditioning program. I also taught wrestling (folk, freestyle, Greco), boxing, Muay Thai Kickboxing, Brazilian Jiu-Jistu, Japanese Jiu-Jitsu, American Freestyle Jiu Jitsu, Russian Sambo, Judo, MMA, and Krav Maga. I am the head coach for the fight team.

In addition your opinions on his abilities and background as a Martial Artist, would be greatly appreciated.

The link to the online discussion is http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=99167 If you are still in contact with him, you can direct him to the above link as it is only fair if he could address any concerns in person.

I would also be appreciated if you do reply, that if there is anything I can post publically on the forum or if if you wish confidentially to be maintained, I will only share information with a forum moderator.

[name removed]

P.S. I do no represent Bullshido.net, I am solely a member of the online community looking to discover the truth.

The reply:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Whelpley, Hammer Kickboxing
    No I am not in contact with him. He taught at my school from i think Oct
    2008 to March 2009 then let him go. He did not do all of that at my
    school, he did No Gi Jits and a little stand-up. He never did get a fight
    team going. I couldn't find any of the claims he made either. He would
    name drop people that I knew, I asked them about him and none of them knew
    who he was. 70% of the time in his class there was nothing going on but
    talking. I had lost soo many students because of this guy. Found out he
    was bringing some of his friends in to train on days he knew I wouldn't be
    there and was keeping all the money from them. His teachings were no
    where near BB level.