Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 11:32am

Style: ShinKyokushin/Shitoryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    It's not really a sport, more like an activity.

Yea, just like basketball.

Pulling mount since '09

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 11:56am

Style: jits da variedade brasile

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aznraven View Post
    I can't, that is what these tournaments are called, sports karate tournaments, it is not a term I came up with.

Let throw names at everything, no face-punch bullshit, no striking-bullshit, human-cockfighting bullshit.

This is a legitimate sport, just as TKDers try to kick each other to score points, or kendoist try to land a first hit.
    Right, this is no more or less of a sport than say... calvinball. /sarcasm My point isn't that this isn't a sport, it is. My point is that you're using an overly broad term to refer to this freeze tag BS that means more than just it. "Sport karate", if taking the term at face value, includes everything we've mentioned, from kyokushin style to this nonsense. Hence my objection.

Also, my mind is utterly blown, now that I noticed that you practice kyokushin, yet are giving some level of credit to this horsecrap. :tard:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 12:01pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whacker View Post
    Also, my mind is utterly blown, now that I noticed that you practice kyokushin, yet are giving some level of credit to this horsecrap. :tard:
    It's the abs. They're so chiseled that it boggles the mind and discombobulates the senses.

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 12:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aznraven View Post
    Yea, just like basketball.

I was thinking soccer, there would have to be less hard contact in Basketball.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 12:16pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whacker View Post
    Right, this is no more or less of a sport than say... calvinball. /sarcasm
    Right, because there are no governing organisations, no standard rulesets, no… Wait, you know what? Even though you were attempting scornful sarcasm, which I would generally support, that’s a dumb analogy.

My point isn't that this isn't a sport, it is. My point is that you're using an overly broad term to refer to this freeze tag BS that means more than just it. "Sport karate", if taking the term at face value, includes everything we've mentioned, from kyokushin style to this nonsense. Hence my objection.
    Well, it’s the common term. It’s what the “sports karate” people call it, and it’s what most people call it; and kyokushin, when it comes to that, is in my experience typically not referred to as “sports karate” but rather as knockdown karate.

You may not like the sport (I don’t either), but this is a stupid argument.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 1:47pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having governing orgs and standard rules doesn't make anything a sport (unless you think contract bridge is a sport, talk about stupid arguments). You are also launching an argument over whether a reference to Calvinball is an appropriate analogy. That may rank as the dumbest thing I've seen on BS yet. Please stop posting.

And if calvinball did exist it's complete lack of standard rules would enable it to transend all sports and save tigers from extinction due to increased demand.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 1:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having governing orgs and standard rules doesn't make anything a sport (unless you think contract bridge is a sport, talk about stupid arguments).
    Of course! I totally failed to see how tippy-tappy karate is no more physical than bridge. This explains why this guy trains in a similar manner to professional bridge players.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 1:54pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli View Post
    Eat a dick gramps.
    That's what I call your pacifier, as much crying as you have been doing lately

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 2:08pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    Of course! I totally failed to see how tippy-tappy karate is no more physical than bridge. This explains why this guy trains in a similar manner to professional bridge players.
    I didn't say anything about the physicality of bridge, I merely stated that having a governing org and standard rules does not make it a sport. I know it's difficult but try to keep up.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 2:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't say anything about the physicality of bridge, I merely stated that having a governing org and standard rules does not make it a sport. I know it's difficult but try to keep up.
    So “sports karate” is a physical activity, with governing organisations, standard rulesets, and international competition, where high-level competition requires precision, speed, and explosiveness of motion, but…not a sport?

Personally, I think that “physical activity with inter-club competition under well-established and widespread rulesets” is a pretty good definition for the term “sport”.

Granted, WKF-style point-fighting sport karate is not a sport that I am interested in either as a participant or a spectator, but that makes it no less a sport.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast