Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 1:48am

Style: 10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hughes/Almeida choke

I was trying to track down some information on the choke Matt Hughes used against Ricardo Almeida. I know that Matt (and others) have said it's basically an old wrestling move but I wasn't able to find much in the way of actual instruction or detail.

It looked a bit like an arm triangle/facelock done from the front but I'm not quite sure how to apply it correctly and I'm not big on the "just grab and squeeze like hell" philosophy.

Anybody have any suggestions as far as video or info goes?

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 6:09am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iainkelt View Post
    I'm not big on the "just grab and squeeze like hell" philosophy.
    Then perhaps Matt Hughes moves aren't for you.

But seriously it is a variation on a front headlock.
    YouTube- ‪Front Headlock - Pull Down (from the feet to the mat)‬‎
    Last edited by WhiteShark; 8/10/2010 6:16am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 11:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Then perhaps Matt Hughes moves aren't for you.
    Touche!

I've tried to develop my game around techniques that don't require you to be stronger than everyone else in order for them to work. But I'm also always interested in learning new techniques and since I don't have a background in amateur wrestling (my weak high school didn't have a team and wouldn't start one) I'm trying to learn some of the basics where and when I can.

So basically it looks like this is a front headlock with the arm in, where he then drives forward and collapses his neck onto the blade of his forearm...unless I'm missing something which is entirely possible.

Thanks for the video, much appreciated.

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 2:27pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is an element of torquing your body to tighten the choke as well. If you examine Hughes's position when applying it, he has one should dipped and one tilted high, and is driving off of his feet to push his whole bodyweight and leg strength into the choke.

1) He first used the front headlock control to pull Almeida forward off of his base (knees and hands), ending in a sort of tripod position.

2) Controlling with the arm on Almeida's neck (I think he was grabbing Almeida's arm) and keeping his tripod-ed weight on RA through his shoulder and head to prevent him from scrambling out, releases the other grip in order to push the Almeida's elbow deeper.

3) Locks up the gable grip with the elbow now locked in deep, sinks his head to Almeida's level or even slightly lower so their ears are practically level (just like in a side choke/arm triangle from the top). Tries to bring his elbows together for additional squeezing power and control. Makes sure to keep driving so Almeida can't get back to his knees or try to spin.

4) Lifts his hips up a bit. Turns his shoulder nearest Almeida down in order to make sure that all of his weight is going into that shoulder and not the one not involved in the choke. This also further clamps in on the strangle similarly to turning your hips a bit in a leg triangle choke (something a lot of people don't do for some reason).

5) Drive off of his toes so his legs and bodyweight are all being driven into the strangle which he's made tighter with every step.

Also known as: yet another reason to not let someone put you belly-down on the mat.

Google Dave Schultz if you want to see it in action at the freestyle Olympics.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 5:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome, thanks for the breakdown. I'm off to work the Google Machine for some Schultz action.