Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 5:49pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sneaky! It sounds tough switching to the sleeve mid-hop, though.

My uchi mata is almost entirely hikite driven initially so there's no way I could do that -- I pull around in semi circle. Unfortunately, I fight almost totally left handed due to a bad left ankle. Even though I'm right handed, I just can't balance on my left well enough to do anything but a few two-footed throws right sided. Still, I get a good pull from my strong side.

I'm ultimately striving for something like Saito's uchi mata, although I'll never get there:

YouTube- Uchi Mata par Hitochi Saito Judo

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 6:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    Sneaky! It sounds tough switching to the sleeve mid-hop, though.

My uchi mata is almost entirely hikite driven initially so there's no way I could do that -- I pull around in semi circle. Unfortunately, I fight almost totally left handed due to a bad left ankle. Even though I'm right handed, I just can't balance on my left well enough to do anything but a few two-footed throws right sided. Still, I get a good pull from my strong side.

I'm ultimately striving for something like Saito's uchi mata, although I'll never get there:

YouTube- Uchi Mata par Hitochi Saito Judo
    Its not as difficult as you'd think, although you have to practice it. I always do it on the left though, so...

If you're fighting a right hander, with a double lapel, then they will have their left hand on your right sleeve making it not to difficult to catch the outside of their left elbow as you start the throw.

If you're fighting a left hander, with double lapel, then their left hand will be on your right lapel again making the left elbow again not to difficult to get hold of.

Another trick is to hold double lapel, but hold lower on the side that would normally be your sleeve side. So if I'm holding double lapel but throwing left uchimata, my right hand is holding much lower down the lapel than my left. This actually gives quite a lot of control, not as much as the sleeve but much more than you'd imagine. However, it makes it very very difficult to then catch the sleeve of a left handed opponent. It is easy to catch the sleeve of a right handed opponent, but still hard.

I once did two pure Judo left uchimata, like Saito, off a left grip in one session. Pretty much best moment of my life, walked into the next session thinking I was the boss and could barely throw a tantrum let alone a left uchimata. C'est la Judo.

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 8:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Ken ken :icon_wink

One of the big tricks to Ken Ken uchi mata is a very strong sleeve action and to hop uke round in ever decreasing circles.
    Lol, I always thought it was slang derived from cancan like the dancers, you know...because you're up on one leg hopping around! Where does "ken ken" come from?

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 6:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    Lol, I always thought it was slang derived from cancan like the dancers, you know...because you're up on one leg hopping around! Where does "ken ken" come from?
    I believe it means 'hop hop' lol.

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 9:06am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    I believe it means 'hop hop' lol.
    It does. It's got another -- disparaging -- name: "urinating dog leg" uchi mata. I forget the Japanese term.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345