Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 2:46pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Indeed. Learn to fall, learn to fall, learn to fall. Judo is inherently more dynamic than BJJ and there really is a greater risk of injury.

For what it's worth, it's also easier and faster to get decent at BJJ than at Judo. Groundwork is just easier to learn all around.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 2:48pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jipi87 View Post
    Not that I have any problem with MMA guys(I love watchings fights and all), it's just that some of them are major douchebags
    I sense a certain amount of dissonance. The two assertions in that sentence do not jive very smoothly.

Of course there are MMA douchebags. There are also heaps of ninjutsu douchebags, karate douchebags, and so on. In the context of martial arts, the least humble people I’ve encountered were in so-called traditional martial arts. People who practice combat sports have their egos tempered by reality on a regular basis, and in my experience don’t seem to feel a need to prop themselves up: If they are good, other people will know it by experiencing it. People who do not engage in resistant sparring run the risk of having their egos severely inflated by the adulation of their lower-ranking minions, and seem sometimes to artificially elevate themselves over the plebeian mudansha masses with rank distinction, advanced technique, and sundry mysteries precisely because there’s no opportunity to put it to the test.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 2:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Budo Taijutsu(Bujinkan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all your answers,

First of all, I didn't mean any disrespect to MMA people. They are comitted to the sport and the elite aren't the douchebag people I mentionned earlier. I train a couple of time over a MMA club and it just didn't suit me very well(I don't do weigh lifting and such other things although I do push-ups, Chin-ups, sit ups, etc.).

Also, I'm really flexible considering my weight-height( I can do splits on both direction, can touch floor with my nose with both legs fully extended, those kind of things), so I would like a MA that doesn't really encourage gaining muscle mass(I consider I'm already big enough at 6'00 195 lbs).

Does being that flexible helps in Judo/BJJ

My Ukemi level is pretty good since our dojo can't afford many mats so we learned to fall on hard floor. And yeah there's really nothing more dangerous than a white belt haha.

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 2:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now that's flexible. You sound like you'd be a natural guard player in BJJ. And dangerous quickly. Flexibility is a massive advantage in BJJ, much more so than in Judo.

Don't confuse muscle mass and strength. One can be strong (and gain strength) without gaining too much mass. Weight training helps both sports but probably helps Judo more. Everyone should weight train -- old, young, athlete, non-athlete.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 3:00pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, all sports that benefit from being strong will encourage being strong. I'm a little guy, very flexible, and working on getting stronger because it benefits my jiujitsu. Putting on muscle mass is not something to be looked on with scorn. You'll be healthier if you are muscular as opposed to being chubby. Being strong makes a lot of life easier and is something that everyone should strive for.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 3:04pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree about the strength part. It is important to be in good shape(I do cardio and muscle exercices to keep a good level of fitness, I just don't go to the gym). The fitter, the merrier. But I think my upper body would suffer from muscle gain because of lack of flexibility in my shoulders(my lower body is really flexible, not so much for the upper part).

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 3:08pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have disproportionately large shoulders and still have very good upper body flexibility which has, in fact, been improved by proper weight lifting. Moving my arms through their full range of motion with weights has only served to make me MORE flexible while at the same time making me stronger at even the extremes of my range of motion.

You have some misconceptions about how weight lifting affects your body. You should get those cleared up. Go read "Starting Strength" immediately.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 3:12pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll go check it out

... So from what I red(I just looked a little), gaining mass is really more about nutrition than lifting weights and the like.
    Last edited by Jipi87; 8/09/2010 3:23pm at .

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 3:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is the correct answer! It's also about the set-rep scheme you use. For example, lightweight olympic lifters are strong as **** but they're not really jacked when you see them in person. They're also extremely flexible. Flexibility and muscle mass really have very little to do with one another, by the way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 3:36pm

Style: Judo, Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jipi87 View Post
    I look upon the BJJ dojo and problem is, they only offer 1 BJJ class every week(which seems quite low). They train also MMA. Not that I have any problem with MMA guys(I love watchings fights and all), it's just that some of them are major douchebags, not humble any bit, and I just don't fit very well with those kind of people(Not that I'm fat or anything or not in shape, just not on the same way of thinking)
    I would recommend you meet them before assuming that. I've recently started training MMA, and they're all great guys. They're very different from the chest-thumping fans you see so often. Hell, most of them came from JJJ, so they don't even mock all the Asian martial arts stuff.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast