Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/07/2010 7:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

DDAngelo's Competition Thread

So I've done a few competitions but this is the first one I've managed to get on a decent camera, I'm just chilling in my hotel room with nothing better to do so I might as well upload them.

Match 1:
    YouTube- Dave Gi Match 8/7/10 Naga

I'm red, I start on the left. I got some good sweeps in but just could not stay on top of the guy, he even leapfrogs over my butterfly guard and nearly ties with me. :x

Match 2:
    YouTube- Dave Gi Match 2 (8/7/10 Naga)
    I'm green and start on the right. The guy takes me down with what looks on the video like a pretty lousy throw and I just can't sweep him. I think if I had better control over the hand he kept posting with it would have been a different match, but that didn't even occur to me at the time.

Criticism is very appreciated.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/07/2010 7:53pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only watched match #1; dude relax on your sweeps. You're muscling your technique too much as you come over.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/08/2010 5:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could you be a little more specific? My coach actually said something similar in that my opponent used my momentum once to fling me off of him but can you tell me what I can do differently? I didn't really feel like I was muscling him over.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/08/2010 6:35pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Imagine if you can trying to throw something solid. Easy to do. You can take a 40lbs solid bag and throw it over your shoulder no problem. Now take 30 pounds of sagging weight (say climbing rope) and try throwing it over your shoulder. Despite it weighing less it's going to be harder.

You're doing the same thing. You are trying to muscle your way into a top position when you need to relax into it and settle your base.