however this content is too large and is hosted on my server so
    I had to add a link to the content instead**

Hey All,

I filmed these videos 2 1/2 years ago when I was a brown
    belt but everything still applies. It is over 45 Min of dealing with
    and breaking gi grips.

There are many different scenarios covered. From standing, in the
    guard, having guard, etc..

If you utilize these concept it will definitely help you.

I'm going to be adding so much more about gripping and grip
    fighting that I've added to my game since then. From more grip
    breaking, getting your grips, and grip fighting from all positions.

This is a great topic because guess what I'm focusing on right now
    in my training? That's right GRIPPING AND GRIP FIGHTING.

My goal right now is to have solid gripping systems for everything.

Hopefully you enjoy the videos and they help you out. I'll have
    much more to share and in detail over at the Grapplers Guide very
    soon!

Here's the video (Over 45 Min of Grip Fighting): http://tinyurl.com/breakinggrips

Thanks for reading and watching,
    Jason Scully

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/06/2010 12:19am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really? 45 minutes? Damn.

Posted On:
    8/06/2010 11:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you.

Posted On:
    8/06/2010 11:53am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since we're on the topic of grips, what are other recommended grip-specific resources? I've only really seen grips discussed in detail in Judo tachi waza. It's nice to see some materials on ne waza.

The standing material in the original video above is very basic, however.

Neil Adams' "Grips" book from the Judo masterclass set is good and I've been studying that. Any reviews of Rhadi Ferguson and Jimmy Pedro's gripping DVD? Other materials?

And here's an old BS thread on Judo gripping. Judo Gripping - Overall Strategy - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Posted On:
    8/06/2010 12:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=Res Judicata;2422307]
    Neil Adams' "Grips" book from the Judo masterclass set is good and I've been studying that. Any reviews of Rhadi Ferguson and Jimmy Pedro's gripping DVD? Other materials?/QUOTE]
    I think Adam's book is good for beginners, but is quickly outgrown.

I haven't seen any of Ferguson's or Pedro's material, but Inoue's, Koga's and Jeon's dvds from fighting films all contain their grip fighting approaches. As you would probably expect from his style Jeon's is the most comprehensive and shows some really useful methods of evading dominating grips and also what I like to call 'negative grip fighting', forcing your opponent to incur penalties and generally negating their Judo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2010 3:08pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the comments. I filmed this video over 2 1/2 years ago and now I have a lot more things that I do and right now my main training goal is gripping, gripping, gripping. Maybe I'll have a chance to share more in the future.

[quote=judoka_uk;2422316]
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    Neil Adams' "Grips" book from the Judo masterclass set is good and I've been studying that. Any reviews of Rhadi Ferguson and Jimmy Pedro's gripping DVD? Other materials?/QUOTE]
    I think Adam's book is good for beginners, but is quickly outgrown.

I haven't seen any of Ferguson's or Pedro's material, but Inoue's, Koga's and Jeon's dvds from fighting films all contain their grip fighting approaches. As you would probably expect from his style Jeon's is the most comprehensive and shows some really useful methods of evading dominating grips and also what I like to call 'negative grip fighting', forcing your opponent to incur penalties and generally negating their Judo.

Posted On:
    8/06/2010 5:32pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasculs View Post
    Thanks for the comments. I filmed this video over 2 1/2 years ago and now I have a lot more things that I do and right now my main training goal is gripping, gripping, gripping. Maybe I'll have a chance to share more in the future.
    I actually have some technical comments on the standing gripping video.

You take an, from a Judo perspective, unusual grip on the gi for the lapel grip break.

In Judo this is the normal method for gripping the sleeve material:

You then place your other hand on top and initiate the grip break:

Also the tilting of the head backwards and pushing the chest out is bad practice especially when standing with your feet level. You should be standing like the Judoka in the white gi in the picture above, with your strongest side forward and if anything your chin down and a slight lean forward. Leaning back and doing the grip break leaves you very vulnerable to ashiwaza especially against someone with a strong girp. You then break the grip down and away from the body like in your video.

The same side sleeve grip - push and pull break from 5:55 you demonstrate is unlikely to be effective against strong grippers. It also badly exposes your back and leaves you very vulnerable to someone throwing the 'Russian arm' and taking an over the back grip. A much better method is the elbow show. The arm on which uke has a sleeve grip turn it so the point of the elbow is pointing directly at uke's face almost like an elbow strike, with your forearm touching your bicep. This has the effect of tightening the gi fabric around the forearm and tricep making maintaining the grip on the gi much harder. Then snatch your elbow backwards and downwards towards your own hip, on the sleeve side. Keep your forearm tucked tight into your bicep as you do this to ensure that the gi fabric stays tight around the forearm and tricep. This is a much more effective and powerful method of breaking the sleeve grip and doesn't run the risk of exposing your back.

The method of breaking the sleeve grip by crossing your own knee over your body is also very risky it makes your very vulnerable to throws and to having your back taken. As is your curl hand and sweep method many beginners try this in randori and against someone with decent grip strength it is largely ineffective. Using the 'elbow show' method outlined above is a much better alternative.

As regards the over the shoulder grip. Your first priority should not be freeing the sleeve but getting your hand on their lapel on the same side as they’re gripping you to create some space as they will be trying to draw you in close. If you waste time on the sleeve you will be pulled in and get thrown.

Use your grip on the lapel to create some space:

Then drop the shoulder inwards and down then roll it backwards and out whilst giving a sharp pulse action with the arm gripping the lapel:

The advantage of this method of defeating a domineering high grip or over the back grip is that you keep the minimum of your body facing your opponent as you're largely side on. This reduces their attacking options for throws and guard pulling. Also there is a much reduced danger of being thrown during the grip breaking process which is a very real possibility with the method you showed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2010 1:36pm

Style: Lifting heavy stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a quick question, one thats probally not worth being in the advanced technique forum , but as were discussing gripping...

last night when doing some newaza i got caught in the other guys closed guard. I was trying to pass when they gripped onto both of my sleeves with both of his hands, his right hand on my left sleeve and his left hand on my right sleeve and i couldnt break their grip. How can i break their grip if both of my sleeves are caught like this? I couldnt break their grip using my head because they forced my hands down by my sides.

Thanks in advance

Posted On:
    8/11/2010 6:26pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by adskibullus View Post
    I have a quick question, one thats probally not worth being in the advanced technique forum , but as were discussing gripping...

last night when doing some newaza i got caught in the other guys closed guard. I was trying to pass when they gripped onto both of my sleeves with both of his hands, his right hand on my left sleeve and his left hand on my right sleeve and i couldnt break their grip. How can i break their grip if both of my sleeves are caught like this? I couldnt break their grip using my head because they forced my hands down by my sides.

Thanks in advance
    First off I should say I have never received training in grip breaking on the ground or in a guard situation. However I have developed one method for this situation.

Obviously the first thing to do is ensure that they don't gain control of both of your sleeves as this is a disadvantageous situation for you.

My method is to take one of my hands and grip uke's belt or the top of their trousers then, with whichever side of your body is the same as the hand you haven't gripped uke with, you lift up your knee into the 'kyoshi' position

I then bring the my arm around the top of my knee and use the knee to create tension in the sleeve and give me some leveage to break the grip on my sleeve, which I do by jerking sharply backwards and downwards with my arm.

Posted On:
    8/17/2010 11:17am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thank you very much...by the way, its really hard to find any gripping videos on theinternet...know any other link that could be useful?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast