Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Style
    Bad
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

No money for formal training...

...but I've seen a lot.

So before I get started, this is going to be one of those "I'm going to do things myself" topics, so if you're just going to go with "You're stupid and gonna hurt yourself", please show yourself out.

With that said, I've got no money for formal training, but I've studied the hell out of martial arts. It's the one thing in life that I just understand right away. I live with a friend who also is broke/loves martial arts(yes, as a whole), and we've been talking about training. We tossed around "make our own style", etc. etc. and so we started hammering out exactly what we want to develop to better ourselves as fighters, which is the main goal. Not so much to be the best, but to just...be better. So, basically, here's what we've got so far:

Blocking: I've seen a ton of Wing Chun videos, and I think blocking(this is going to be a very obvious statement) is important, and a great thing to learn. Most people in street fights can't block very well. I'm not really gonna watch trapping videos and get the motions down so much as I'm going to have my friend throw punches at me, slow at first obviously, and I'll block. From there we'd work on bumping up the speed til we're doing it as fast as we can, and blocking well. Then we'd toss in counter attacks, etc.

Striking: Obviously there's a good way to punch. I feel my punches are pretty decent, as far as technique goes, so all I'd really need to work on is my accuracy, speed, and power(though I do work out often, my power isn't my first concern). I very highly doubt I'm punching wrong. I used to hold my fist wrong, but I've since correct that after spraining my thumb punching someone.

Movement: When I see a punch or kick coming from a mile away, I move. What I don't like is that I always move away. I never make an opportunity for myself when I dodge.

Conditioning: This is the grey area for me. As much as I'll see on the internet "do this to get tougher!!!!" etc. etc. I really don't know what would be the most beneficial. I, personally, could use a ton of cardio to get up my stamina(and drop some pudge), but past that I really don't know where to begin. I need to toughen up and increase my flexibilty in my legs. I don't plan on attempting very many kicks in a fight, I don't find a lot of them feasible. But my lack of flexibility disturbs me nonetheless, but again I have no idea what stretches to do, and I haven't attempted many because I don't want to hurt myself.

Any critiques or advice?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So before I get started, this is going to be one of those "You are a dellusional n00b and probably still in high school" topics, so if you're just going to go with "No I am not and how can you disrespect my awesomeness", please show yourself out.

Also, this has nothing to do in this part of the board.
    This is for actual technical discussion, not for training routines and general advice. Expect some sort of reprimand from the mods to start with.

As to your questions:

1. Beating yourself up in your backyard is not training. Watching youtube clips is not training. Training means learning from somebody better than you by practical application.
    Even though books and videos might tell you differently because the authors want you to buy their products or crave for your attention, there is no way to compensate formal training. Period.

2. If you can't afford a dojo or a gym, focus on conditioning. ONLY on conditioning.
    If you're broke, try saving money for a kettlebell and a good jumping rope. That's really all you need. Then, focus on getting the most out of those tools. - Which should take you a while.

3. You make typical dellusional n00b mistake by evaluating your skills by yourself. Ask yourself if you have ever been truly tested. By someone who knew what good skills are supposed to be. - No, I don't want to hear your stories. Just ask yourself. Because talking like you do, chances are you haven't.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Special K8914 View Post
    ...but I've seen a lot.

So before I get started, this is going to be one of those "I'm going to do things myself" topics, so if you're just going to go with "You're stupid and gonna hurt yourself", please show yourself out.

With that said, I've got no money for formal training, but I've studied the hell out of martial arts. It's the one thing in life that I just understand right away. I live with a friend who also is broke/loves martial arts(yes, as a whole), and we've been talking about training. We tossed around "make our own style", etc. etc. and so we started hammering out exactly what we want to develop to better ourselves as fighters, which is the main goal. Not so much to be the best, but to just...be better. So, basically, here's what we've got so far:

Blocking: I've seen a ton of Wing Chun videos, and I think blocking(this is going to be a very obvious statement) is important, and a great thing to learn. Most people in street fights can't block very well. I'm not really gonna watch trapping videos and get the motions down so much as I'm going to have my friend throw punches at me, slow at first obviously, and I'll block. From there we'd work on bumping up the speed til we're doing it as fast as we can, and blocking well. Then we'd toss in counter attacks, etc.

Striking: Obviously there's a good way to punch. I feel my punches are pretty decent, as far as technique goes, so all I'd really need to work on is my accuracy, speed, and power(though I do work out often, my power isn't my first concern). I very highly doubt I'm punching wrong. I used to hold my fist wrong, but I've since correct that after spraining my thumb punching someone.

Movement: When I see a punch or kick coming from a mile away, I move. What I don't like is that I always move away. I never make an opportunity for myself when I dodge.

Conditioning: This is the grey area for me. As much as I'll see on the internet "do this to get tougher!!!!" etc. etc. I really don't know what would be the most beneficial. I, personally, could use a ton of cardio to get up my stamina(and drop some pudge), but past that I really don't know where to begin. I need to toughen up and increase my flexibilty in my legs. I don't plan on attempting very many kicks in a fight, I don't find a lot of them feasible. But my lack of flexibility disturbs me nonetheless, but again I have no idea what stretches to do, and I haven't attempted many because I don't want to hurt myself.

Any critiques or advice?
    disclaimer- i wrote this before it got put in the newbie forum so im allowed to call the OP a dumbass.

so anyway dumbass, how old are you? this is a very relevant question so be honest.

second, how many -fights- have you been in. i mean real, full on, stitches and **** fights, not shoving matches in high school.

third, get fit. if you have no way of training formally the BEST thing you can do is be a strong fit motherfucka, and that will take you through more scrapes than being a fat guy who learned to punch from watching youtube.

Style
    Kenkojuku Karate, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Instead of devoting time to learning bad habits you'll have to undo later, devote your time to making money to afford decent training. If you still have time to practice, work on your strength & cardio instead. It doesn't cost you anything to do divebombers and windsprints and by the time you're able to begin real training you'll be a beast instead of the newbie who needs to take a break so he doesn't puke all over the mats.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just put this in newbietown. It looks like most of these guys already went off on you so I'll restrain myself:

You can always find somebody with experience to help you so stop the bullshit.

Style
    Rehab(Back Surgery)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you really really want to train go check out the free classes at every gym you can. Show your actual interest and dedication. Talk to the people in said gyms and schools. There WILL be groups meeting outside of classes and people who get together to work on things on off days.

If you want to bang or roll people with experience will help as fresh blood and new faces tend to help if they have hit a plateau or if things have become dull.

As a warning tho, I would drop what seems to be or what is coming off as a massive know it all ego before you step on the mat or attempt to seek help.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    You can always find somebody with experience to help you so stop the bullshit.
    Exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo and/or boxing can be as cheap as $30/month, and are extremely easy to find in your local area.

There's no excuise for anything else if you have a tight budget.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Style
    Rehab(Back Surgery)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sri Hanuman View Post
    Judo and/or boxing can be as cheap as $30/month, and are extremely easy to find in your local area.

There's no excuise for anything else if you have a tight budget.
    Actually back in Kentucky Judo was hard to find in my neck of the wood but I did stumble on a nice little boxing group I trained with for a number of months before I moved.

So if one of the two is not available or too pricey the other will certainly be cheap and available.

A good old fashioned lesson on ass kicking is rarely all that pricey. It's the kata and fancy rashguards that add up.
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Bad
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well all of my "huge ego" and assumptions came from fighting my friend, who's had tons of training from his dad his whole life.

But basically what you're all telling me is if I don't have someone who's way better than me to train with I shouldn't train at all? What if I'm better than the friend I live with? I shouldn't train with him?

Style
    Rehab(Back Surgery)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get serious instruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Special K8914 View Post
    Well all of my "huge ego" and assumptions came from fighting my friend, who's had tons of training from his dad his whole life.

But basically what you're all telling me is if I don't have someone who's way better than me to train with I shouldn't train at all? What if I'm better than the friend I live with? I shouldn't train with him?
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last