Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    MMA, Taekwondo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Just started MMA but dont want TKD instructor to find out

Just started MMA and it's what i have always wanted to do. But my Taekwon-do instructor thinks that we should not cross-train. I'm only 16 but feel as if i need a new challenge as i'm not competing in Taekwon-do anymore but want to keep training. It annoys me however that he would allow some of his "golden" pupils to do so. I have not told my instructor about this and am not sure what to do. What do you guy's think?

Style
    In transition
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't worry about your instructor.

You are the one training for your own reasons (Since you're 16, I'm going to assume that your parents pay for gym fees. But if you are paying for it, it's your money and you have every right to do whatever you damn well please.)

What gym are you training at? There may be other Bullies in the area, in case you want to meet up/train/have a deathmatch/etc.

Style
    Shotokan & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a free country, you can train wherever you want. If he were to find out you were training MMA and throw you out, he's not someone I'd want to train with anyway. Has he ever explained his rationale for letting some people cross train, but not others?

Style
    MMA, Taekwondo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks guys thats helped alot i train in a little place called carluke ( near glasgow) with Scotia tkd www.scotiatkd.com and my MMA is with Team Volcano in Newmains (slightly nearer Glasgow). Yeah its my parents paying for the Taekwon-dobut i think ill pay the MMA as its only £5 a class twice a week and im starting work soon so its not too bad. My instructor has his favoured pupils (those who trained with him for ever) im new(ish) to him came as red belt and back for 3 years and now i have my blackbelt. It just annoys me as i dont do anything wrong and help him out ALOT and even Captained the Junior Scotland team for him recently through inuries. But he nevered seemed really greatful to me. Ive always wanted to do MMA and its easier for me now due to the location of the Volcano gym. I dont think i will compete anymore in TKD as im not benefiting and want a fresh challenge.

Style
    BJJ, judo, rapier
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have no obligation to tell him. Unless you’ve promised to tell him or are under some ancient TKD oath, it’s none of his damned business what you do when you’re not in his gym.

On the other hand, keeping secrets is uncomfortable, so my preference would to let him know: Be open and honest. If he’s OK with it, no problem. If he isn’t OK with it, then leave and to hell with him.

Or just leave. When I started training BJJ, I knew that my karate instructors would be Very Unhappy about it if they knew (my direct instructor would probably have frowned slightly and shrugged it off; but some of the higher-ups…). I then realised that I didn’t particularly want to hang around people who thought they had a right to decide whether or not I could do BJJ, so I left—well, this was one of the reasons.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Style
    MMA, Taekwondo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It would be hard for me to just leave though due to friends, memories, women ;), i dont want to keep it a secret but dont want him to lose it and disown me. I know his past and things he has done, but i still know the way he would react.

Style
    BJJ, judo, rapier
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmillar16 View Post
    It would be hard for me to just leave though due to friends, memories, women ;)
    Memories remain whether you stay there or not. Friends or women who would disown you because you quit TKD are not friends or women worth keeping around.

I’m not trying to say that you definitely should leave, but those are some pretty poor reasons to stay.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Style
    MMA, Taekwondo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the women was a joke ha. I feel that if i leave i would be letting someone down i have really close to me and their really proud of what ive done. But for me i think ive done all i can do now. I always dreamt of always being in TKD but now ive started MMA thats all changed.

Style
    In transition
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know it can be difficult to make such a decision at your age.

But it'll be better for your character if you don't give in to the will of someone who clearly places his own desires over those of his students.

Style
    MMA, Taekwondo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ill just stick it out for the next few months and see what happens. If nothing changes ill talk to the ones close to me about leaving and see what they think i just dont want to let this one person down as so many others have in the past and recently

Page 1 of 3 123 Last