Style
    BJJ, Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Long time lurker....

Yes. The creepy kind of lurking.
    For over two years. With no post to my name.

Anyway...

Allow myself to introduce…. myself. I train at Gracie Barra Thousand Oaks under Professor Fabio Leopoldo, Professor Raul Montolfo, & Professor Erik Klinger. I have been training there for about 5 months and yes, I am a white belt. I am a mean two striper knocking on the door of the honor of having the third bestoed upon me.
    Boxed some in the Marine Corp and loved it, circled back to it a decade later when I lived in Las Vegas, dropped it when I left LV and moved back to LA, CA.
    Anyway, I always have enjoyed all aspects of fighting. Long story short, I have an incredibly beautiful little daughter who I wanted to make sure that she was able to handle herself if need be. I figured that BJJ was the only art that focused on using leverage and knowledge rather than muscle as well as the only real art that focused on fighting from your back. I figured that a small petite girl would have trouble striking anybody and doing anything other than pissin an attacker off, so BJJ it was. So, at the age of 4 1/2 I signed her up hoping it would be the beginning of a long journey for her. It is. A year later she loves it (thanks to the incredible instructors she has) and I don't push it on her. She goes twice a week and it's a play time for her still. She goes there to play and winds up learning good fundamentals. In fact, she is up to her fourth strip on her second belt (yellow/white). Btw, I don't really expect her to use BJJ to thwart and attack in real life for years, but the earlier she starts learning... it can't hurt. So after watching her train for about 6 months or so, I decided I needed to jump in as well. So here I am.

I am drinking the BJJ cool aid. I love it. I train four to five days a week (it's nice to have the dojo a couple blocks away) for about an hour a day. When not in the dojo I am with my family or in the water surfing (I surf just about every morning as well, before work).

I love training, and at 41 I have never felt this flexible. I have dropped pounds and I can feel my body firming up again like I was in my early 30’s. I know that I’m lucky to have the quality instructors that I have, and I try to take advantage of their knowledge every day I train.

There is my post introducing myself. Now I hope that pesky message above saying I need to introduce myself in NewbieTown will go away and I can continue to lurk without the big reminder of my lack of post.

Nice to dip my toe in the kiddie pool here.

Style
    Kyokushin, MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey man Welcome to the land of the posters!

You seem like a good guy glad to hear that you and your daughter are enjoying your training.

Question: Do you feel that your surfing as helped with your Martial Arts or vise versa? A lot of my mates have taken up surfing recently and they've said to me that the two compliment each other quite well.

Any input?

Style
    BJJ, Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dargentus View Post
    Hey man Welcome to the land of the posters!

You seem like a good guy glad to hear that you and your daughter are enjoying your training.

Question: Do you feel that your surfing as helped with your Martial Arts or vise versa? A lot of my mates have taken up surfing recently and they've said to me that the two compliment each other quite well.

Any input?
    Great question Dargentus. Yes, without doubt my surfing has gotten much better since I have been training BJJ. I'm not sure if it's the fact that we do so much work on the abs & back (I guess people call that the "core workout") that my surfing has definetly improved. Late drops in's that I might not have pulled off before I find I am able to land now. My carves are much deeper and I throw more water when I hit the lip. Yeah... it's helped a lot. I'm stoked with how much it has.

Ireland... very cool. All of my mothers family still live over there. Around the Derry area. Last name Kerr (but I think that might be like "Smith" over there).

Thanks for the welcome Dargentus.