Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/06/2010 5:11pm

Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Any body use the TRX suspension training ?

i was working out in my gym the other day and I noticed this suspension type thing hanging by one of the machines, I asked one of the trainers what is it and how does it work.

First a little background on me before I continue, Im 52 I compete in WKF (point sparring) 45+ mens Black Belt Division Kata and Kumite . I always worked out with weights and actually got way too bulky up to 245 lbs with the weights as I was lifting way too heavy and getting way too big to succesfully compete in competitions. So I started to just use machines and alot more cardio I lost weight which was my goal. As you know point competition is more of a speed contest then a strength contest even though as a LEO I need strength for the street.

Fast forward back to this machine ,Its called a TRX and it supposedly works the core improves strength and flexibility and supposedly alot of professional athletes are using it.

I tried it out seems pretty good , what I like about it is unlike weights which usually work in one way up and down or similiar manner this you can move side to side up and down etc.

Anybody else have experience with TRX and what do you think of it. Just curious.

Thank You
    Move along citizen ,nothing to see here !!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2010 6:09pm

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have one. Works pretty well for bodyweight workouts. They function more or less like gymnast rings. Do a Google search for them. They're waaay too expensive for what they are though, so if you want a set at home, there's ways to rig a homemade version for much cheaper.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2010 9:26pm

Style: JUDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Noctem View Post
    I have one. Works pretty well for bodyweight workouts. They function more or less like gymnast rings. Do a Google search for them. They're waaay too expensive for what they are though, so if you want a set at home, there's ways to rig a homemade version for much cheaper.

Definitely too expensive but they are a very good work out, they really work on the core and all the synergistic muscles. Try putting your feet up on a Swiss Exercise ball and doing wide grip push ups.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    8/07/2010 10:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think comparing suspensions systems like TRX, Blast Straps, and the millions of others to free weights is a false analogy. They have different intended uses, and one is not build to replace the other. If you have access to both free weights and suspension training, it's foolish to only use one and not the other vs. using both in situations where they are the best choices for the intended goals. This is true of dumbbells, kettlebells, olympic gear, strongman equipment, powerlifting gear, etc etc. Basically, determine your goals first and use whatever equipment you have available to best accomplish them.

Mini-rant aside, it's a sound principle. Good for travel, assuming your travel has access to some sturdy horizontal poll.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 3:30pm

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I think comparing suspensions systems like TRX, Blast Straps, and the millions of others to free weights is a false analogy. They have different intended uses, and one is not build to replace the other. If you have access to both free weights and suspension training, it's foolish to only use one and not the other vs. using both in situations where they are the best choices for the intended goals. This is true of dumbbells, kettlebells, olympic gear, strongman equipment, powerlifting gear, etc etc. Basically, determine your goals first and use whatever equipment you have available to best accomplish them.

Mini-rant aside, it's a sound principle. Good for travel, assuming your travel has access to some sturdy horizontal poll.
    Word.

Also Emevas, a lot of these systems have door mounts included, where you loop a strap over the top of the door and close it, or secure the strap on the hinge side of the door. Usually there's some sort of block to keep the strap from slipping out. It works alright, but not as well as having an overhead bar/pipe/power cage to secure it.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 5:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Noctem View Post
    Word.

Also Emevas, a lot of these systems have door mounts included, where you loop a strap over the top of the door and close it, or secure the strap on the hinge side of the door. Usually there's some sort of block to keep the strap from slipping out. It works alright, but not as well as having an overhead bar/pipe/power cage to secure it.
    Yeah, my only experience is with blast straps, which don't have any sort of door mount. Good to know.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 9:45am

Style: Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here are two cheaper and better alternatives.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 11:56am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've used TRX at my gym quite a few times and find them great for improving core stability. If you get into using them regularly you will find loads of interesting exercises that will hit muscles you don't normally get to in a regular workout. The biggest benefit I noticed was overall improvements to core strength, pretty much everything you do using TRX engages the core - if you have any weeknesses in that area you will feel it big time. Worth giving a go in combination with regular weight training.

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 1:37pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a very big fan of suspension trainers for all sorts of stuff, but if nothing else they make inverted rows shoulder heaven.

A quick note on the Jungle Gym XT and similar straps (which are way cheaper than the TRX). I own and use my Jungle Gym XT frequently, but the fact that the straps are separate means I regularly struggle to get them dead even with one another. Certainly there are advantages to the disconnected straps, but it's something I didn't consider and I wish I had thought of before buying them.

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 3:29pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For my patella fracture rehab I used a system called "Red Cord" it looks a lot like the stuff posted here. Basically they would have me put the ankle of my injured knee in a sling and do planks from all angles. I hated it, but I know it was good for me.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast