Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2010 9:12pm

Style: Judo, Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it's MMA/BJJ/Kickboxing vs TKD/Karate/Chun/Aikido, I'm afraid you're likely gonna have to go off campus to get any decent training.

Karate guys generally think what they do is fine, until they train something real. i did shotokan for seven years, didn't know what I was missing until I took up Muay Thai.

Posted On:
    8/06/2010 11:13pm

Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think maybe some and it could be my own fault misconstrued my earlier post.
    I was trying to make these points.
    1. go check out the school yourself
    2.there is alot of anti karate styles in this web site except for seemingly a few such as kyokushin so therefore you probably find alot of neg comments off the bat
    3. I do know one Isshinryu high ranking 7th dan who became disillusioned with the art znd switched to Oyata's Ryu Te I believe they are both Okinawan styles are they not.
    4.Im a shotokan guy alot of people on here knock shotokan but it works for me so the point is only you can decide if a school or style is for you.

again I wrote it quick and probably poorly but this is what I was trying to convey and it wasnt at all intended to be a shitpost in a serious discussion
    Move along citizen ,nothing to see here !!!!!

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/06/2010 11:28pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks fox for the admission I'll get it taken care of for you.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/07/2010 12:07am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by callum828 View Post
    If it's MMA/BJJ/Kickboxing vs TKD/Karate/Chun/Aikido, I'm afraid you're likely gonna have to go off campus to get any decent training.

Karate guys generally think what they do is fine, until they train something real. i did shotokan for seven years, didn't know what I was missing until I took up Muay Thai.
    callum....
    DARKSON, ""Let me know when a kyokushin fighter gets ranked at Lumpinee Stadium". - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

The link the OP posted has the intructor as a 4th dan Kyokushin and 9th dan Ishin ryu! And mentions full contact fighting. I'd wager a lot that he can fight. The school still could suck, but sparing him would be interesting.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2010 12:45am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The school could suck, but I gotta say, the website is pretty badass too compared to the other Ishin Ryu schools in town. It's kind of weird how all the karate in town seems to be Ishin Ryu, although according to wikipedia Isshin Ryu is the "possibly most popular 'Okinawan' karate in the United States." [edit]^and Windsor is right on the border across from Detroit.

I have a feeling it might be a tough toss up between that and a couple of the kickboxing/MMA or Judo schools out there. This guy on paper appears to be a really good fighter and trainer. Plus the school offers "full contact fighter and trainer". I'll have to voice my concern about the thumb thing when I visit.

@ 2groggy, The martial arts I listed are actually under the "Sport" sub-section of campus recreation's instructional courses. Karate is listed there too, but I'm really skeptical of karate offered through YMCAs, colleges, and such. It's also odd that Aikido is listed in the Sport subsection, and not the dance subsection. Actually, if it doesn't cost much, I might forgo martial arts for a little while to take the aquatics/safety courses because nothing is more bad-ass than saving a life.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2010 8:55am

Style: Judo, Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fug View Post
    callum....
    DARKSON, ""Let me know when a kyokushin fighter gets ranked at Lumpinee Stadium". - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

The link the OP posted has the intructor as a 4th dan Kyokushin and 9th dan Ishin ryu! And mentions full contact fighting. I'd wager a lot that he can fight. The school still could suck, but sparing him would be interesting.
    Most likely. However I would rather train straight Kyokushin or some form of kickboxing, which apparently is available near the OP. Though I still should have read the link on the original page.

Though by the looks of it he trains more than Isshin Ryu. Looks like they train knockdown in the karate classes and also train kickboxing, MMA and judo. Plus the guys son is an actual MMA fighter with a wrestling background.

Well, in answer to the OP, give this place a go, but go for the kickboxing/judo/MMA as well as the karate.
    Last edited by callum828; 8/07/2010 9:05am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2010 9:22am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The school seems OK in terms of karate itself, but I did notice that:

1. The description of kickboxing training is literally the same as the description of karate (since when is kickboxing "formal"?)

2. Judo is supposed to be "ancient", when it was founded in the late 19th/early 20th century.

3. The guy is a 9th Dan, which would make him as senior as all of the Japanese yudansha alive at this moment (no one has 10th dan right now)

4. His acievements were handed out by Malaysia and India (is he really THAT good?). The awards from various martial arts unions are probably legit, but check out the unions themselves as well. Make sure that they're not ATA offshoots.

5. Make sure you check out who he got his Kyokushin 4th Dan from. He could have just heard about the style's reputation among the MMA/K-1 crowd, and decided that a 4th dan would be a nice addition to his C.V.

Posted On:
    8/07/2010 9:34am

Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont know this particular sensei , but unless a person is their 70s and practiced their whole life a 9th Dan doesnt seem legit.

Most 9th Dans are self annointed . How many true 9th Dans are there.
    alot of people who form their own styles are 9th or 10th dan Such as Mas Oyama , Oyata , Kanazawa and a few others but most "9th Dans' are self promoted and Im skeptical of most of their claims .
    And a 4th In Kyokushin , I would check that out too , but thats not impossible. But I cant see and this is my own uneducated opinion if a person archieves a yodan in Kyokushin why he wouldnt be a Kyokushin dojo when Isshinryu is nothing like it at all.
    Like I said I dont know this instructor Im not bemirching him , Id just really look into these claims
    Move along citizen ,nothing to see here !!!!!

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/07/2010 9:43am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoist View Post
    The school seems OK in terms of karate itself, but I did notice that:

1. The description of kickboxing training is literally the same as the description of karate (since when is kickboxing "formal"?)

2. Judo is supposed to be "ancient", when it was founded in the late 19th/early 20th century.

3. The guy is a 9th Dan, which would make him as senior as all of the Japanese yudansha alive at this moment (no one has 10th dan right now)

4. His acievements were handed out by Malaysia and India (is he really THAT good?). The awards from various martial arts unions are probably legit, but check out the unions themselves as well. Make sure that they're not ATA offshoots.

5. Make sure you check out who he got his Kyokushin 4th Dan from. He could have just heard about the style's reputation among the MMA/K-1 crowd, and decided that a 4th dan would be a nice addition to his C.V.
    Can you stop shitting up threads with google posts please.

American Ranking has little to do with Japanese Ranking good or bad. ATA offshot? Dude stick to the Judo threads. OP listen to Fug and Foxguitar who have the longer and a better understanding of the Karate circles.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2010 11:36am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks IIF. I'll look up his teacher in his bio. Something doesn't look right about the tree of teachers on his bio, but I suspect that's a mistake. I'll have to ask him about the kyokushin too, but I imagine if your proficient in one kind of karate in may not take long to move up the ranks in another.

I was more intending to get opinions on Ishin Ryu when I started this post, but I think I have absorbed that 90% of it is crap, but this school appears to be an exception.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast