Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2010 4:31pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How is Ishin Ryu?

So I'm going to be going to University in Windsor, ON, for 12 months, and I'll have to quit my muay thai / mma training that I currently do in Toronto. Since the martial sports available on campus are listed as "Kayaking, Aikido, Tae kwon Do, Karate, Wing Chun Kung Fu" I figured I might get a little more out of looking for martial arts off campus. So I did some google searching and found 1 judo, a few BJJ places, some mma/boxing/kickboxing places, and some Ishin Ryu places.

I won't write off Ishin ryu right away. Since bullshido.org is currently down and the search function doesn't really return anything meaningful I thought I'd ask your opinions of Ishin Ryu. I'll go down there and check it out but I thought I'd try and get some useful background info, preferably peoples personal experiences.

Here are my impressions so far: I like that when they demonstrate kata they show applications of the kata. Some of the teachers seem pretty badass, particularely the one from this school. There are some videos of him kicking ass in competition on the website. However this guy was trained in kyokushin too.

Other than that I'm a bit concerned about what I've read about thumb placement in punches as I have a rather large thumb in proportion to the rest of my hand and wrapping it around my fingers seems to be the only way for it to avoid getting caught when punching bare handed. I have also read that the Okinawans dislike Ishin-ryu and see it as American karate, but I don't really care about that.

Posted On:
    8/06/2010 4:50pm

Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go check it out for yourself, because the response is here more then likely Oh krotty sucks and if it aint BJJ or Kyokushin it sucks, yada yada .
    See for yourself.
    I know one High ranking BB in Isshinryu who is dillusioned with the art and is now a Ryu-Te follower formely Ryukyu Kempo under Oyata . But this person was a very high ranked Isshinryu BB.

You may like it. alot of people on here put down Shotokan , I enjoy Shotokan , so to each their own

OSU
    Move along citizen ,nothing to see here !!!!!

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    8/06/2010 4:58pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Is your goal just to have fun/get some exercise, or also to get practical fighting skills?
    2. Do they do alive sparring? No alive sparring = no practical fighting skills.
    3. Do you enjoy doing kata? Personally, I would avoid any school that does kata because I feel it’s a waste of time; I’m not aware of any evidence or rationale that they are as useful for developing actual fighting skills, though of course if you enjoy doing them, go knock yourself out.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    8/06/2010 5:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh—see also posts written by 1point2, who did Isshin-ryu for quite some time; you can start here.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    This is something akin to an Isshinryu rant that I've been stewing over for a few months. There's a couple other threads where I tried to get my thoughts out and failed.

Let's start out with what Isshinryu is today, because that's the easy one. Most Isshinryu sucks. The sparring rules suck, the kata/bunkai/philosophy of waza sucks, and the virtually-useless 15 basics suck.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/06/2010 5:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshin-ryu, Kyokushinkan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1point2 nails it in his analysis of what's wrong with Isshinryu these days. I would say to still go check out the school, because the quality varies widely. If they spar with hard contact, it might be a winner. There is no standard for Isshinryu as it stands. The different schools come from wildly different backgrounds, because of who brought back the style from Okinawa and when they learned it from Shimabuku. Some people are parts of larger associations, others aren't. Even for the ones within the association, they might do some things a lot differently.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2010 6:40pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd imagine that seeing as the instructor is a 4th dahn in Kyokushin, that the school may well have alive training. As previously stated, the best way to know would be to try a few classes.
    Alternatively seeing as you currently study MT and MMA, you could expand your throwing skills by doing Judo for the time you're there, although I'm a bit biased.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2010 8:15pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks to everyone who replied. I'll comment on what each of you said. In order to not double the length of this post I'll remove the quotes:

@ foxguitar:

Thank you. If I got krotty sux without addressing ishin ryu, I'd probably assume that person didn't have experience with Ishin Ryu. A lot of the posters seem to have krotty of some sort in their style field.

@ Petter

1. My goals include maintaining good fitness, learning to fight, and to never realize that I wasted years training a system that doesn't work.
    2. I'll have to see when I go down to check it out myself. I just haven't had the opportunity to drive to Windsor and check it out yet. I'll probably do that in my first week of classes.
    3. I actually don't like kata too much, but I might like it better than shadow boxing.

Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    Oh—see also posts written by 1point2, who did Isshin-ryu for quite some time; you can start here.
    Thank you. That was the kind of post I was searching for I think. Sorry my search-foo failed.

@ rpeterson

Good to know. Guess I'll have to check it out. Most of the Ishin Ryu places look like Kiddie Krotty and McDojos based on their websites, but the one I linked seems pretty good.

@ herbo1

I was quite annoyed that the University has Aikido and Wing Chun, but no Judo. Maybe its for liability reasons, or maybe the student body is generally more interested in teh deadly. Anyway, my mma skills are pretty rudimentary. There is one Judo school I googled, but it didn't have website. I'll definitely check it out. I was considering making a "what school should I choose" thread in YMAS, but I think I can make that decision when the time comes without too much help.
    Last edited by pokeroo; 8/06/2010 8:16pm at . Reason: Removed a quote to shorten my post

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2010 8:16pm

Style: Judo & BJJ hacker

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Pokeroo,

Once you are actually on campus, check to see if the list of MAs is actually complete. And don't forget to look into judo, boxing and wrestling.

If you're like most other starving students, cash is king. Save a few bucks and stick to the subsidized on campus clubs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2010 8:21pm

Style: Judo & BJJ hacker

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and I just re-read the OP. Do you know if their "kayaking" martial art allows sparring, weapons or underwater grappling? I'd love to see their "kayak paddle bo kata".

To quote Napolean Dynamite... "I'm pretty good with a bo staff".

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    8/06/2010 8:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Academie Duello, where I practice swordfighting, has an annual camp/tournament/training weekend. One of the activities, I gather, is canoe jousting.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast