Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/06/2010 3:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Low weight high rep?

Ok. so I don't have a lot of weights to play with right now.

I've got 50lbs to work with, so I'm just doing reps until i get tired. Then doing as many sets as I can stand. (which isn't much since I'm just starting to get into some kind of shape.)

Curls I can only do 10-15, for two maybe three sets. No biggie there, I can still work that and develop.

But for bench presses, I'm up to 4 sets of 25.

I'm wondering though, if I'll suffer any setbacks or losses from doing the opposite of what most weight trainers suggest.

Or is doing the low weight high rep thing better than nothing for keeping me active until I get some more weights?

The most important thing to me right now is fat loss BTW. I'm already a big guy, so size gains aren't that important to me right now. I need to get lean and strong more than I need to get bulky. (Once I lose this spare tire, I'll start worrying about size.)

Any advice?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/06/2010 3:58pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are doing 4 sets of 25 reps with 50 lbs? Yeah, just give that up and do pushups. When you can do a bunch of pushups, put the weight on your back and continue.

All your doing is pushups and curls? What about pull ups. Do them, and then take that 50lbs and hold it between your legs when you are board of pull ups. Same thing with dips, squats, lunges...
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    8/06/2010 4:13pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke View Post
    You are doing 4 sets of 25 reps with 50 lbs? Yeah, just give that up and do pushups. When you can do a bunch of pushups, put the weight on your back and continue.

All your doing is pushups and curls? What about pull ups. Do them, and then take that 50lbs and hold it between your legs when you are board of pull ups. Same thing with dips, squats, lunges...
    Also doing squats and military presses. I'll also do bicycle crunches inbetween sets, but that has nothing to do with weights...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/07/2010 7:45am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So your only compound lifts are bench with 50lbs, military press with 50 lbs, and squats with 50lbs? Curls are for the girls.

I would loose the 50lbs all together and start doing functional exercises. If your goal is to loose weight, you are probably not going to get much out of what you are doing.

Do you live in a suburb or place with side walks? If so do this: Go runing for about 20 minutes. Every 5 minutes stop and do 25 pushups and 25 squats. Then continue the jog.

Do that every other day and on the off days, do your curls and find somewhere to do some pull ups.

Guarantee you will lose some weight and get some functional strength.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2010 11:38am

Style: Judo, MT, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it looks like you have pushing exercises and no pulling exercises at all. that just leads to muscle in-balance and overall shoulder weakness (plus you'll be hunched over and **** from a weak back). like he said, do functional exercises, and toss in some pullups, and rows.

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 11:53am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke View Post
    Do you live in a suburb or place with side walks? If so do this: Go runing for about 20 minutes. Every 5 minutes stop and do 25 pushups and 25 squats. Then continue the jog.
    Sounds good! I try the out latter today when I do the jogging thang.

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 11:55am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wizwar31 View Post
    it looks like you have pushing exercises and no pulling exercises at all. that just leads to muscle in-balance and overall shoulder weakness (plus you'll be hunched over and **** from a weak back). like he said, do functional exercises, and toss in some pullups, and rows.
    Thanks for the heads up! I'll start working some pulling stuff into my routine.

Also picked up two 15lbs plates from the flea market this weekend, so that's another 30 pounds for the bar!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 11:59am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what about renegade rows? you could do DB swings, too. turkish getups. sots press. overhead squats. overhead lunges.

good luck!

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 3:41pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by toad44 View Post
    what about renegade rows? you could do DB swings, too. turkish getups. sots press. overhead squats. overhead lunges.

good luck!
    O.k., now your speaking Latin to this newbie.

I have no idea what half of these are, but I'll be sure look them up and work them in to the routine. Thanks man!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 6:33pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    O.k., now your speaking Latin to this newbie.

I have no idea what half of these are, but I'll be sure look them up and work them in to the routine. Thanks man!
    heh :)

ExRx has some good info (http://www.exrx.net/)

hier is a link to vids for Renegade Row (http://www.google.com/search?q=reneg...ed=0CB8QqwQwAA)
    and another:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/irontamer4.htm

Sots press:
    http://www.powerathletesmag.com/arch.../sotspress.htm

Turkish GU:
    http://www.performbetter.com/catalog...ttlebellvideo5

overhead lunges
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/s...t/OH-Lunge.htm

KB/DB swings:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kett...cle=Hamstrings

Ross at Rosstraining.com has great workouts/ideas/inspiration.

good luck with everything and good training!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast