Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    8/05/2010 9:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The "New" UFC

Has anyone else noticed the subtle changes in direction that the UFC has been engaging in over the past year? I didn't notice it that much at first, but it's becoming more and more apparent in their marketing.

Take their video advertising for UFC117, for example.

YouTube- ‪Chael Sonnen vs Anderson Silva Pt. 3‬‎

It's a rip-off from Dos Equis, of course, but the fact that they used this style of humor (as opposed to the head-to-head quotes/highlights they usually use) is a fresh look for them. You also consider the very understated plug for the event at the end (as opposed to Mr. Voice shouting "UFC 117: SILVA VS SONNEN, THIS SATURDAY AT THE ORACLE ARENA IN OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA! BUY TICKETS NOW!") and seems like they've really decided on taking a different direction for their marketing department, for this event at least.

The new website is also pretty interesting, having just gone live today.

http://ufc.com

Way more streamlined, removal of black as the dominant color, and cheeky sans seriff typefaces for their headlines. From a design standpoint, it seems like they're moving away from the meat-head audience and are trying to appeal more to the broad mainstream public. Even the fight posters seem to making bolder and more hip choices.

What do you guys think? I'm only an amateur designer, but the shift seems pretty clear to me. Does anyone more professional see the same things I do, or am I jumping the gun on this one?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2010 10:00pm

Style: Working out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I noticed in the Sonnen vs Silva commercial they used a dj stop for when Sonnen said he would like beat the **** out of Silva or something, I didn't like it, I felt it took away from the drama.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2010 11:30pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The new website is pretty sweet from what I have experienced so far. I think a fresh approach is always nice. Last UFC PPV I watched had the same stupid intro and music as always though, they really need to update that ****. That stupid chanting "epic" song thing is just gay now. They are rich out the ass, no reason they can't mix up the intros to events like that, or give them different themes or something. Also hate the whole gladiator in the intro. Gladiators are cool, but I'm over it now FFS. /rant.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    8/05/2010 11:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ive always thougt the gladiator intro thing was too fucking homo. even a gay friend i watched it with said it was over the top homo, and he should know, he smokes cock all day
    Last edited by alex; 8/05/2010 11:59pm at .

Posted On:
    8/06/2010 12:16am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought the gladiator intro was bad ass, then again...I'm F**cking homo. =/

Posted On:
    8/06/2010 12:38am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbydeth View Post
    [...] they really need to update that ****. That stupid chanting "epic" song thing is just gay now. They are rich out the ass, no reason they can't mix up the intros to events like that, or give them different themes or something. Also hate the whole gladiator in the intro.
    Agreed, vehemently.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2010 2:11am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They have also tried to play the HBO game with "24/7" esque programming to hype fights. Okay, sure, HBO isn't the first network to do something like that, but they do it the best. When the UFC does a 'Primetime' special it seems to me to come off as a poor man's HBO series.

That said I appreciate them trying to move away from the meathead / nu-metal / WE ARE TEH ULTIMATE!!! / Tapout bullshit (if that's what they are actually doing).

Posted On:
    8/06/2010 5:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    ive always thougt the gladiator intro thing was too fucking homo. even a gay friend i watched it with said it was over the top homo, and he should know, he smokes cock all day
    It's very cringeworthy alright, but gladiators are "in" (spartacus, blood and shite) at the moment so I don't see it going anywhere.

Posted On:
    8/06/2010 5:58am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its all good, its a move in the right direction.

MMA really needs to escape from the whole Douchebag metal, Blood splatter, gladiator, macho bullshit.

Dream has been putting out decent well design posters and nicely crafted promos for a while.

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    8/06/2010 6:04am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's still a long road from the PrideFC entourage. But it's an improvement. Now if they'd just make the commentators shut the **** up. Or better yet, replace them with Bas Rutten and a Japanese guy who makes funny sounds but doesn't really say anything.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast