Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2002 4:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Effective blade fighting techniques were extensively field tested in Europe during the 15th-18th centuries :-) , its one of the reasons I appreciate fencing as a ma since a)there's no bull with hokey forms and b) techniques are taught in fencing only because they are effective. The central skills of measure, timing and technique in fencing would greatly aid any blade training programme.
    Um... you realize that SPORT fencing is a SPORT. The techniques are effective in the salle because you are playing with sport versions of the French smallsword, which was used only in noble duels near the end of the European duelling era. Modern SPORT fencing includes techniques that would get you killed by anyone taught a real bladed style and who understands how a lunge works.

Yes, SPORT fencing does teach timing, balance, and distancing. But what about corps-a-corp (grappling). Why about hilt and pommel strikes? What about fighting in the freaking round?

Go read George Silver or Ewart Oakeshott on insights on this sort of stuff.

Taking a break

Posted On:
    11/13/2002 5:19pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nihilanthic said
    No "blade" can't be SHOT FROM A GUN anyway
    err.. they're called arrows.
    Friend of mine tried an arrow against a bullet proof vest (french police issue, mid 90's) after persuading the officer to take it off first. It went straight through both sides. I think the bow had about 80lbs pull. Crossbows of course can easily be cranked up to 200+ lbs. Theres not much in the world would stop a bolt fired from one of those.

"Not in the face!"
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Posted On:
    11/13/2002 7:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ouch! Sam Harbour. That would hurt. Lucky the guy wasnt stupid enough to keep the vest on.
    I have heard of many cases of vest being pierce by cross bows.
    Currently there is no bullet proof material that is abosolutly imprenetrable. Its unlikely there will be any in the future either.

PEACE!
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    11/13/2002 7:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Merc,

I see where you are getting at in your question. It believe that it is very practical to learn blade fighting. However, again, not many schools teach blade fighting just defense. The majority that do teach defense don't teach it properly. Espada y daga (FMA) is another good example of good knife fighting techniques, if taught properly.

Jeremy M. Talbott
    http://www.homestead.com/koreanma/index.html
    http://www.geocities.com/jns1994/MSA.html
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    11/13/2002 10:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I said no blade CAN'T be shot from a gun, not that they can't be shot from a gun...

What I mean is they CAN be shot...

Anyway, an e-bomb wouldn't make a gun not work, period. It might make the flashlight not work if it was turned on, but thats about it. Its mechanically driven, sometimes gas assited.

And regarding the centerpoint"icepick" armor piercing debate, there are some out there. they are not kevlar weave (well not completely) however. There are ceramic plates that can stop .50 cal point blank, and eventually it will come to a point where breaking the plate won't do injury, however smacking it back into the person's body is what does the damage.

Oh, and you can shield against EMP devices. NORAD is shielded, and making an already metal vehicle shielded would not be hard. Metal has a tendency to reflect things like EMPs.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2002 12:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ironically enough (since we're talking about EMP), the military is now experimenting with using EMP to shoot projectiles. They can shoot a metal rod at something like 10,000FPS straight out of the muzzle. A projectile weighing just a few pounds (e.g., 20-30) can completey anhialate a tank because of the kinetic energy imparted on the target.

If we get bullets fired at that kind of velocity, there will be little to stop it. It's a little sickening.....

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    11/14/2002 4:43am

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nihilanthic, I know an e-bomb won't stop a gun.

But in the future, we're going to have increasingly computerized weaponry. What happens when a platoon of guys with a BFG 9000s gets E-bombed and attacked by terrorists with bayonets on AK-47s?

In addition to computerized weaponry being vulnerable to e-bombs, in the future we're also likely going to have improved bulletproof technology, to the point that most of our clothes and vehicles are going to be bulletproof at little extra cost, especially those in the military.

What I'm trying to get everyone to speculate on, is, in the future, will e-bombs force militaries to revert/not advance to more computerized weaponry, and beyond that, will improved bulletproofing technology force them to go back further to edged and piercing weapons?

"God is dead." -Nietzsche
    "Nietzsche is dead." -God
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Taking a break

Posted On:
    11/14/2002 10:43am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I mean is they CAN be shot...
    Sorry, thought you'd made a typo with all the double negatives.
    Anyway, I've been told that the reason arrows go through is because of the lower speed and higher mass. I've no idea if this is true or not though.

"Not in the face!"
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2002 7:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The answer is emphatically no. Our technology will outpace their technology due to our huge coffers of money and it won't really matter what they come up with. E-Bombs can be shielded against, and they aren't very effective when you're being shot by a "laser" from outer space.

These "lasers" will cut you in half. :) Besides, just exactly how will these terrorists and or war mongers be getting close enough to use to use their e-bombs in the first place?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2002 8:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ironically enough (since we're talking about EMP), the military is now experimenting with using EMP to shoot projectiles. They can shoot a metal rod at something like 10,000FPS straight out of the muzzle. A projectile weighing just a few pounds (e.g., 20-30) can completey anhialate a tank because of the kinetic energy imparted on the target.
    Actually, it isn't EMP that is doing the shooting. What they are using is a magnetic mass driver. They take a series of magnets and use them to propel a mass at extremely high velocities.

The problem is power issues and the need for room temperature superconductors. Once they get both of those issues solved, they'll start using it on the battlefield.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast