Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. #21
    PDA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    987
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They have been doing Capoeira for years and it seams to be working out ok for them so why change?
    King without a crown

  2. #22
    Conde Koma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Oakland, CA (East Bay Area)
    Posts
    2,247
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    Here's an interesting thought: this is basically a case where the combatants have one limb for utility, while four for stability. Generally, humans have two and two, although sometimes you'll give up one for the other (lifting your leg to kick, for example). With only one limb for attacking, you end up in the tug-of-war displayed by the video.

    Apes, on the other hand, regularly change between all their limbs for utility and stability, especially if you're talking about monkeys with prehensile tails. The possibilities for a variety of strikes and grappling techniques seem endless! And to find the most effective ones, all we have to do is study what they're already doing! Surely someone has done some research on monkey fighting techniques, right? Right?

  3. #23
    You have to work the look. supporting member
    CrackFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bat Country
    Posts
    3,077
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Monkeys are not apes. Humans are apes. You are all retards.

  4. #24
    In the blackest moment of a dying world, what have you become? supporting member
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,503
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Monkeys are not apes. Humans are apes. You are all retards.
    Yes, please...this discussion wasn't serious or semantic enough for Crackfox.

    Please use the term "Simian" in all future posts....thank you, have a nice day.


  5. #25
    You have to work the look. supporting member
    CrackFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bat Country
    Posts
    3,077
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Please use the term "Simian" in all future posts....thank you, have a nice day.
    Simian still includes humans.

  6. #26
    In the blackest moment of a dying world, what have you become? supporting member
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,503
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Simian still includes humans.
    Thank you for the information. All the other threads are for humans though, this is clearly for non-human simians.

    With that said:

    YouTube- ‪Gorilla Fight‬‎

    Dude...look at how they attempt to leg sweep each other...fascinating.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 8/05/2010 1:26pm at .

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    447
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why is Bob Sapp fighting a gorilla?




    look how much one can teach apes.
    YouTube- ‪Tae Kwon Do Monkey!‬‎

    Someone should train a monkey in bjj, honestly. I think he could understand that it's a sport and he doesn't have to bite his opponent. Any ape expert here?
    Last edited by Monkfg; 8/05/2010 1:51pm at .

  8. #28
    Larus marinus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    3,061
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkfg View Post
    Why is Bob Sapp fighting a gorilla?




    look how much one can teach apes.
    YouTube- ‪Tae Kwon Do Monkey!‬‎

    Someone should train a monkey in bjj, honestly. I think he could understand that it's a sport and he doesn't have to bite his opponent. Any ape expert here?
    Large non-human primates (any objections???) are incredibly strong - much moreso than you'd think. Could one be trained to do BJJ whilst not, say, bending elbow joints fully backwards, or choking until the neck bones dislocate?

  9. #29
    Larus marinus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    3,061
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    Here's an interesting thought: this is basically a case where the combatants have one limb for utility, while four for stability. Generally, humans have two and two, although sometimes you'll give up one for the other (lifting your leg to kick, for example). With only one limb for attacking, you end up in the tug-of-war displayed by the video.
    Yep - and this is the case for most birds. Parrots can, however potentially use three limbs for utility whilst on the ground - which opens up the potential for true groundfighting.

    YouTube- ‪Jojo and Abu Caiques wrestle: Abu does somersault & Jojo headbutts‬‎
    YouTube- ‪Caiques wrestling‬‎

    AFAIK, the two Caique species are the only birds that do this regularly. Note the attempts to keep the opponent at a distance by turning to face him on the ground and kicking at the air.

Page 3 of 3 First 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO