Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2010 4:01pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

East German Hand-to-Hand Combat Manual

http://www.scribd.com/doc/35329962/E...to-Hand-Combat

The manual was published in 1973 by the East German Ministry of the Interior. The Ministry of the Interior in their system was responsible for the internal security operations. There were uniformed troops, and other types of units to include secret police.

The manual reflects a lot of regular troop training, and police-style defense and control movements. The first portion of the manual is how to set up a training plan, and the rest of the manual is devoted to technical instruction of the movements. The manual is in German, but the pictures are in English.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/07/2010 2:28pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, my computer is not liking the format of that page. Neat find though. I like that it has the lifting and dropping headlock counter, with or without the back breaker. Also the front facelock as a counter to a standing guillotine choke, and the reversal from the turtle to the scarf. There was also some stuff I thought wasn't so good, like getting an opponent who's sitting in mount off you by pushing on his wrist and elbow.

I used to have a digital copy of Abwehr from the 1940s (you can find them for free around the net) and I was struck by how goofy a lot of the stuff in it was. I was dating a German girl for a while and she went through it with me as a translator. I was hoping to find out what the captions were for a lot of the pictures. There was stuff like the three stooges eye poke defense with a simultaneous toe kick to the shin, and how to do the domestic violence choke.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2010 3:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Codosdepiedra, I also noticed the difficulty in reading the document on Scribd. However, if you download the PDF, it should be a better read.

What is a fascinating side story to this is the jiu-jitsu-based combatives, and the follow-on North Korean karate-style which was adopted in the 1980's, is documented on film and released through the German archives, the Bundesarchive. (Forgive me if my German is off). These are sold in a commercial relationship with a German firm and can be found on Ebay.de.

Two relevant titles are: 1) Nahkampf Fur Spezialisten, and 2) Die lautlosen Kampfer.

The Nahkampf DVD is a series of training films recorded onto the same DVD. One film shows jiu-jitsu training in the 1960's, another shows the airborn troops training in the North Korean school of close-combat, another film shows the two year conscription period broken up into six month increments to highlight skill development across the two years to aid the conscript to grasp the progressively maturing training expected of him.

The Die lautlosen Kampfer DVD is about the Stasi, showing historical footage of training and mission practice with explanatory discussions and current footage by a former Stasi officer who went into private security and executive protection.

The DVDs and the 1973 download make a small, but complete, library for that particular period.

You can send the pdf of the 1973 training document to Kinkos and make a wire spiral binder with vynyl covers, and the print out will lay flat when you are using it as a training manual or practice book.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2010 9:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One last thing about East German hand-to-hand combat.... If you want to see how it maintained a following in the post-1989 unified Germany, go to this link. I have actually contacted the author in the past.
    http://www.saco-defense.de/frame_eng.html

Frank Pelny was an officer and hand-to-hand combat instructor in the East German parachute troops. He teaches the system today, and has a book out which you can buy from Amazon.de. It is Gjogsul (the Germanization of the North Korean method they took on), and the ISBN is 3-8334-2228-9.

Again, this falls under military history and military combatives. Learning the context in which a combatives system developed can give someone a fuller experience as they practice that system.