i give him a couple of weeks, tops.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2010 4:53pm

Style: BJJ / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ESVABURNOUT View Post
    It's hard to explain, I would love to become a professional fighter but on the other hand I know there are millions of people out there with the same goal and I haven't yet devised a way to be better than them except by working my ass off. So the goal is to see how far I can take it before I reach a peak/limit where I just can't beat the competition and then consider it a hobby that I love doing. On the flip side of all that I am a very talented person.

If you're interested in getting answers out of me then I'll just say it: I'm doing nothing currently at the moment. I don't see what my past has to do with this.
    You don't see how your past experience with training or martial arts has anything to do with what you are planning? What type of shape are you in now? When was the last time you trained? You don't currently train correct?

If you start off to hard you will end up injurying yourself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2010 4:54pm

Style: Kyokushin, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    i give him a couple of weeks, tops.
    Doing that schedule from doing relatively nothing? yup i'd agree, about two-three weeks.

ESVA, unless you're fairly fit already, you will 'burnout'

Ha! gettit?

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    8/04/2010 5:06pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's hard to explain, I would love to become a professional fighter but on the other hand I know there are millions of people out there with the same goal and I haven't yet devised a way to be better than them except by working my ass off. So the goal is to see how far I can take it before I reach a peak/limit where I just can't beat the competition and then consider it a hobby that I love doing. On the flip side of all that I am a very talented person.

If you're interested in getting answers out of me then I'll just say it: I'm doing nothing currently at the moment. I don't see what my past has to do with this.
    There is nothing wrong with working hard, in fact if your goal is to get in the ring/cage then you will have to put in hard work. That being said, if you don't properly set goals, plan your training, track and modify your routine, and evaluate your progression then your going to injure yourself quickly and probably quite training altogether. I speak from experience on this.

Your past has a lot to do with it because the workload you are attempting is very stressful on the body. If you were a pro athlete with years of training under his belt then I would say it is feasible, however if your new to training then you have to build up your tolerance to such a workload. Otherwise you will injure yourself, burn out, and also not perform as well as you could due to fatigue and lack of recovery.

Start off taking class 3x a week, if your new you will find that you'll be plenty sore with just doing that. You can also incorporate weight training as well, but don't overdue it. 2-3x a week should be fine to start out with.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/04/2010 5:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Pending

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dargentus View Post
    Doing that schedule from doing relatively nothing? yup i'd agree, about two-three weeks.

ESVA, unless you're fairly fit already, you will 'burnout'

Ha! gettit?
    Haha yeah that one made me lol. Okay and yeah I got a green belt in karate when I a child, with a few weeks training in the YMCA while I was with my mother, with very little training in Judo+Jujitsu. Yes I'm in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
    There is nothing wrong with working hard, in fact if your goal is to get in the ring/cage then you will have to put in hard work. That being said, if you don't properly set goals, plan your training, track and modify your routine, and evaluate your progression then your going to injure yourself quickly and probably quite training altogether. I speak from experience on this.

Your past has a lot to do with it because the workload you are attempting is very stressful on the body. If you were a pro athlete with years of training under his belt then I would say it is feasible, however if your new to training then you have to build up your tolerance to such a workload. Otherwise you will injure yourself, burn out, and also not perform as well as you could due to fatigue and lack of recovery.

Start off taking class 3x a week, if your new you will find that you'll be plenty sore with just doing that. You can also incorporate weight training as well, but don't overdue it. 2-3x a week should be fine to start out with.
    Thanks and yeah I'm just going to have to figure out how much my body can handle at this state. I'm trying to get into BJJ as much as possible because of the amount of time it takes to get good in the art.
    Last edited by ESVABURNOUT; 8/04/2010 5:28pm at .

Posted On:
    8/04/2010 6:46pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you try to do everything at once you will get tired, get injured and then get out. Start with ONE of those arts and get comfortable with it. Then in a month or two maybe ad the next if you feel comfortable doing so. In the meantime invest your spare training time in recovery work and joint health. Once you have that down then start hitting the gym. If your coming in green your going to get pleanty of workouts just taking the classes you want to take. I've never seen someone leave a good MMA, Muay Thai or BJJ class without being sweaty, worked and spent. Your training should supplement your practice not compete with it.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    8/04/2010 9:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why do you say youre in good shape? run a 1/2 marathon recently? and even if you are, what the fuyck makes you think that its gonna translate over to something like muay thai or bjj? guess what, im in good shape for a kickboxer but if i walk into a bjj cass tomorrow im gonna be all kinds of wrecked cos im not grappling fit. cant swim either, but i can run for fucking ever. you get the picture.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/04/2010 10:29pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    why do you say youre in good shape? run a 1/2 marathon recently? and even if you are, what the fuyck makes you think that its gonna translate over to something like muay thai or bjj? guess what, im in good shape for a kickboxer but if i walk into a bjj cass tomorrow im gonna be all kinds of wrecked cos im not grappling fit. cant swim either, but i can run for fucking ever. you get the picture.
    Are you being serious? If you are stop being a critic and just embrace.

Lol you're from New Zealand and can't swim?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2010 10:52pm

Style: BJJ / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you being serious? If you are stop being a critic and just embrace.

Lol you're from New Zealand and can't swim?
    He is being serious. Grappling cardio and kickboxing cardio aren't the same. I know guys that can run 6 miles and not even feel it but come and gas out from rolling with a white belt in bjj.

Why don't you come into my gym and try out a free bjj class and see if you are in shape.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/04/2010 11:01pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by recourse View Post
    He is being serious. Grappling cardio and kickboxing cardio aren't the same. I know guys that can run 6 miles and not even feel it but come and gas out from rolling with a white belt in bjj.

Why don't you come into my gym and try out a free bjj class and see if you are in shape.
    What does it matter? For the record I was thinking something like ole boy that got donkey punched (out of shape) vs. someone with a better physique than golden boy himself, Alex (in shape).
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast