Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 9:08pm

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

problems with teh pullup

My lats are never that sore after doing these, in fact, they the DOMS are much worst after a hard day of benching. I do overhand grip, about shoulder width. Im not strong enough to do my own weight for many reps, so I use a chair to support some of my weight. I feel this exercise like crazy in my rhomboids and arms, but I feel that my lats are getting cheated. Should I just focus on negatives to build my strength, so that I can do them without the chair, or what?

Hep mah!

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 9:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you tried a wider grip? I have heard that focuses on the lats more.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 9:19pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you tried doing a Tabatta sequence. For 4 minutes go 20 seconds on, 10 seconds rest, 20 seconds on, 10 seconds rest... In the 20 seconds on do as many as you can while still using good form.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 9:35pm

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ive never heard of this Tabatta sequence. Have you had sucess with this method? Im willing to give it a try if its credible.

As for the grip, I looked on a few sites and they seem to concur with what you sadi punisher. I will take that into consideration.

pwning ninjas since 2004

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 9:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Street Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah. Wider grip will put a lot more of the weight on your lats. Also, don't do any biceps curls before you do your pullups. If you make sure your biceps are fresh, that will give your lats a better workout because you will be able to do more pullups.
    Deluxe247 tells it like it is:

you ninja fags just got owned in a bad way. this thread should go to the classics and mega thread forum due to the sheer size of taebo_master and gajusceaser's penis. (with which they just smacked across these ninja's faces)

This Classic Thread - http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9653&perpage=15&pagenum ber=14

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 9:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Trip to "kip" or "cheat" until you can gain enough strength to do some reps deadhang. Then get back to the deadhang.

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 10:12pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where are you doing chin ups ?
    In the gym or somewhere close to you (ie at home ?)

If you have regular access to a bar you can use the 'Grease the Groove' method.
    Do chin ups multiple times a day.
    Never work to failure.
    Do 1 set, forget about it for the next few hours.
    Next time you walk past the room do another set, using an exact rep scheme of 'how many you can be bothered doing'.

Your strength and ability to do the exercise will go through the roof.
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 10:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do pre-exhaust your biceps with curls.

Proceding to negatives or a static would not be bad idea.

A better idea, at this point, would be the lat pull down machine. If you prefer your palms facing away from you take a relatively wide grip. On a standard lat pull down bar, that means you should be just inside the downward curve of the ends. Otherwise, take a narrow grip wherein your palms face you, or the paralell grip.

If the latter (the narrow grips), do your best to imagine that your biceps are paralyzed which leaves naught but the lats and rear delt (a negligible contributor) to draw your elbows straight down in front of you. Your torso remains perfectly straight and rigid. If done right:

-The cable coming from the pully will be tracking at an angle away from you. In a regular old pull down one generally shifts the body around somewhat to accomodate a very straight line down the collar bones.

-You'll also be feeling it (annoyingly I might add) in your abdominal muscle, as you struggle to keep your back from arching.

pwning ninjas since 2004

Posted On:
    2/26/2004 3:34am

supporting member
     Style: Street Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keinhaar, if you pre-exhaust your biceps you won't be able to do hardly any pulldowns at all. Doing very few pulldowns will greatly limit the exercise your lats get. For most people, their biceps are what limit the number of pulldowns/pull ups they can do. The lat is a much larger, stronger muscle with better leverage on the humerus. The best way to emphasize it during pulldowns/pull ups, is to use a a wide grip.

If you are able to find such a thing, a machine that allows you to adduct your arms applying force at the elbows would be ideal to work specifically your lats.
    Deluxe247 tells it like it is:

you ninja fags just got owned in a bad way. this thread should go to the classics and mega thread forum due to the sheer size of taebo_master and gajusceaser's penis. (with which they just smacked across these ninja's faces)

This Classic Thread - http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9653&perpage=15&pagenum ber=14

Taking a break

Posted On:
    2/26/2004 3:59am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What difference does it make by reversing the grip on the bar? Is it a different set of muscles?
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast