Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Fencing Instructor

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 5:48pm

Style: Sabre/Rapier/Katana

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Weapons Training / Armed Martial Arts

We've had the "who carries a weapon" thread going a while, so I thought I'd toss up a change in the conversation.

Who all here actually does weapons training? Either as your primary art or on the side?

I know of a few. CMorra from her victory and Shug for chewing me out for not getting a personal invite to a throwdown next year. ::ducks:: But who else do we have out here?

What would you say you're best gain from choosing this art over an unarmed art would be?

All that and basically seeing how alone I really am here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 5:50pm

Style: bjj and hitting stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I could do two hours of weapons training a week in addition to my normal routine. I was really excited at first to get into it, but lately I've just been happy to use that extra few hours a week to review new material or work out.

When I have more time I'd like to give it a try though.

(tangent)

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 5:52pm

supporting member
     Style: 7 Star

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We train in traditional weapons. Staff, Broadsword and spear. We've also had a couple classes on using a stick or baton against a knife attack.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 6:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. Short, medium and long range. No soft weapons yet. The benefits are exponential and a gestalt is required. I'll do whatever I'm in the mood to do.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 6:13pm

Style: Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We train semi-regularily with bo, jo, hanbo, yari, and training daisho. The full cirriculum includes other weaponry, some of which we have only occasionally trained with (due both to the level of students at our dojo and the expense of training implements): various shuriken, kusari-fundo, kusari-gama, kyoketsu-shoge, shuko, naginata, jutte, 'o-tachi, warfan, and probably some more obscure devices I'm forgetting.

There is obviously a lot more material than most people would ever become totally proficient in. Most of our weapons work builds on taijutsu principles that we practice unarmed. It has in fact been expressed to me that although most of our training is empty-handed, it is primarily a weapon based art. Or strongest point for weaponry is probably stick and polearm fighting from Kukishinden-ryu, which as far as I know is the only of the schools to contain comprehensive kata for specific weapons (which is a useful teaching tool). The others use many tools but technique is based almost purely on stratagies practiced unarmed, and aural instruction.

I think a couple major benefits of this are

a) the way weapons are classified and used with taijutsu helps the student pick up almost anything and use it as an improvised weapon, or be able to use most weapons with some degree of proficiency. My cutting improves even when I haven't practiced kenjutsu, because the underlying principles cross over.

b) this integration develops an awareness and even assumption about potential weapons coming into play even in a seemingly unarmed confrontation (especially when the teacher and some students carry concealed training weapons and use them spontaneously).

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 6:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Kempo-Goju Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i go to the range ,once a week for one hour, if i spend 3 hrs in a week going over weapon retention im happy. havent been spending enuff time on baton, i really should.
    16 years till retirement.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 6:37pm

Style: FMA/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    likewise, but work get really really narked off if you start doing escrima strikes on 'clients' rather than their approved techniques.
    spend 2+ hours on empty hand against knife generally, as it seems to be the thing that crops up fairly often (never get time to draw anyhting)

Lord Of the Rhymes

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 6:55pm

Style: Pimpin/Tango-thanks Xango

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My main style is Kali, so I spend most of the time with weapons...
    Funny thing is, it does get under your skin and change your unarmed outlook.
    Canuckyokushin:

These women can do back flips right over my head and still land on there feet .GRrrrrrrr!

THAT'S NOTHING, I USED TO KNOW SOME 12 YEAR-OLDS WHO COULD FIT INSIDE A SUITCASE AND STAY ALIVE FOR 7 OR WAS IT 6 HOURS

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 6:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Punch & Kick

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lance, sabre, bow, knife.

Everything a good soldier back in the day would know.....although my archery is pretty tragic.
    Punches in bunches and kicks kicks kicks!

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 6:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do Escrima.
    Ghost of Charles Dickens
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast