Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    9/08/2004 4:20pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Women in training

I've been wondering lately, and this question particularily applies to those of you who train outside of North America, if there is a cultural/country link between the number of women who train in martial arts and what arts they do.

I mean, here in NA, there are actually quite a few women in the TMA's like TKD, Karate, 'Kung Fu' and such. A fair number, I'd guess, in Judo. Very, very few in the combat arts or MMA. And very few of those who do train to the same intensity and committment that many of the guys train at.

So this is an informal "survey" to see if the ground level impression is the same as mine, from my little corner of Canada/JKDC/BJJ.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    9/08/2004 4:25pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We usually have about 20% women in my Shooto and BJJ classes. They usually spend most of the time training together because of the strength deferential, but our instructor mixes the guys in to help keep perspective.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    9/08/2004 4:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At my old TKD school it was about 15% women. At straight blast, we have 4 girls. They're all disturbingly thick and manly. :(
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Registered Member

When i say "Up your @ss", you say "Oh yes" AHAHAHA

Posted On:
    9/08/2004 5:03pm

Style: THE PEAK OF BAD TASTE

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    everywhere i trained (be tma or mma oriented) the number of females tranining varied between
    lets say... 1 and zero

Posted On:
    9/08/2004 5:04pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yesterday we had well over 100 sign-ups for our campus "MMA" club and more than 60% were women. Actual attendance and retention will likely be another story.

Posted On:
    9/08/2004 5:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my gym there are some girls trainign in MA, but men are the vast majority. We had a few girls coming to kickboxing months ago and we were all like "whoa, GIRLS!".
    Here women train mainly in aerobic, spinning and the like, and when they do MA they use to go for karate, jiu-jitsu or TKD, along with judo.
    The girls who stick to kickboxing were... a little manly, except for one or two of them.
    One day, three girls came for the free first class. One of them was really HOT, and I mean really, really hot.
    While we were doing warm up (no pun) one of the exercises was to line up and jumping over the partner while he was lying in some kind of verticla fetal postion. I don´t know if I´m making myself clear... Anyway, when this gorl was in that position, you could see her thong and the upper part of his :drooling: marvelous :drooling: booty. We all fell while jumping over her.
    Good thing the cup prevented us to showing a huge hard on.
    Too bad she didn´t came back.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    9/08/2004 5:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Lights Out
    and the upper part of his :drooling: marvelous :drooling: booty.
    :cool:
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Posted On:
    9/08/2004 5:50pm

Style: wingy chingy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My kungfu school has about 15-20% women students.
    "It does not matter who the master is. It does not matter what the face looks like. The masters are of the Qimen school of qigong/meditation which is related to Zen. The master wears white robes, and the predecessor master wears bright gold robes. The qimen school travels the univers and is not restricted to what paradise they live in. It has many masters" -Serious Harm

***ned

Posted On:
    9/08/2004 5:57pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Women should be at home learning how to cook.

So when I see one at my BJJ class, I immediately try to completely break their spirit. Stupid women. :''(

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    9/08/2004 5:58pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in the US, but I've had some interesting experiences with this.

Some places I've trained include the Seido Karate school in New York City, the Cornell University Judo club, a bunch of kung fu clubs at Cornell, and recently I went to 1 session at the Tulane Univ. Judo club.

At Seido, and in the kungfu clubs, there was actually a lot of women. Sometimes more women than men in one kungfu place. However, the one thing that all these aforementioned places had in common was that they were for all intents and purposes no-contact. All kata, basically.

Now, the Cornell Judo Club is pretty much all full-contact judo grappling. There are a fair amount of women there, and the women are all great grapplers. What they might lack in strength compared to their male counterparts they really make up for with good technique. They're quite impressive and aren't afraid to go all out.

I've only been once to the Tulane Judo club...I'm struggling with scheduling difficulties. There also seemed to be a lot of women there. I don't know how good they are, though, having only seen them once.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast