Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2010 9:19pm

Style: Judo super noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How to shift from Defensive to Offensive?

After getting myself whacked out of my mind in sparring. I have come to the realization that my weakness is that I'm to afraid to go from defensive to offensive. I can block and it works well for me, But It seems I freeze and end up taking punches like a little chicken.

Since I am quite noobish the only boxing defenses that I'm good enough to use are the blocks where you use your hands as cover (I don't know the names) However, I seem to have trouble switching to offense.

I think the problem is when I try to go from defensive to offensive, I don't move and so I end up getting whacked in the face. So any advice is good.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/01/2010 10:14pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How long have you been sparring?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2010 11:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not very long

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    8/02/2010 5:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoGroinNoKrav View Post
    not very long
    1) you need to STFU and train. The problem is psychological and will go with experience

2) Something that works for me is when I set myself a rule that I wont leave any punches unanswered. That way at least some of the time you will reply with something when you get hit

3)move your head or move your feet instead of taking a beating (if you're not good at slipping yet then you'll want to focus on moving your feet to get you out of trouble. That doesn't mean going backwards, it means lateral movement and control of distance
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    8/02/2010 7:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The most simple defence to getting hit is moving forward while covering up.
    Try that as a start.
    the rest of the advice given is better but requires you not to be spazzing out while getting hit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2010 7:43am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Practice, practice, practice. When you get to the mat, have a goal set for that day. Something along the lines of: "No matter what happens to me today, I'm gonna follow through with a conterattack." The difference between those who actually make progress and those who just do what the rest of the class is doing like zombies is goal setting. Get in there and train!

Posted On:
    8/02/2010 9:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoGroinNoKrav View Post
    not very long
    If you really want help please answer direct questions.
    How long have you been sparring?
    How long have you been training, in what?
    Who are you sparring with?

Yes all these questions have a direct bearing on how we answer and what you should do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2010 11:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2-3 Months
    Krav Maga but its sparring with boxing rules
    about a year
    Quite a few people but everyone is taller then me.

I'll shut up and train and take your advice

Posted On:
    8/02/2010 11:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you are sparring in Krav with just boxing? No clinch no elbows no knees or kicks?

If so the key to boxing and really all striking at a certain level is footwork. At 2-3 months unless you have some other experience your footwork is going to suck. You probably retreat straight back and for defense are only covering not moving. This will put you out of range to counter against taller opponents. Basically as long as your footwork involves moving backwards or staying still while covering you won't ever be able to switch to offense.

You need to learn how to make your opponent miss or jam their offense so that you are in a position to counter. Things like parrying strikes instead of covering and moving laterally or into the pocket are how you do this. After 2-3 months i would only expect you to start seeing these problems. Give it another 2-3 month to start seeing the opportunities then 2-3 more to start taking advantage of the opportunities you see.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/03/2010 2:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WS: the usual good posts.

You might try a specific counter and drill it a lot. I like moving back and throwing a side kick as the guy comes in. And I like leg kicks and if some one is going high, adjust distance and front snap to the body. But if you are only under boxing rules I guess my advice is worthless. In Kaju we practice getting the blocking hand by the ear with the elbow covering the center of the face and stepping into the attacker. Takes some practice (and endless drilling) to do this sparring, and nerve to try.

How hard is your sparring? Are you allowed to slow down and/or go soft enough to try stuff without getting nailed hard? It's a lot easier to learn moves with less "liveness" - after you start getting them down, then go harder.

Do you have the little swinging bag? We use ones that are tiny and swing several feet, good for ducking/blocking and countering drills.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast