Posted On:
    9/01/2010 4:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Don't worry.

Once upon a time there was a German book....
    Do continue, I'm all eyes.

Ben

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 6:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The book I'm refering to has been discussed here.

Even if is not exactly a Kodokan Judo book it points to the use of coloured belts for kyu ranks in late XIX-early XX century Japan in another jacketed wrestling art.

Now, wild speculation follows:

The guys in the 1922 video are "varsity players" (Kosen). Maybe they used a system of coloured belts that became discontinued (Kodokan pressures?) and forgotten.

Later, a coloured belts system for kyu grades was developed in Europe for the bakka gaijin and travelled back to Japan.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 9:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    The book I'm refering to has been discussed here.

Even if is not exactly a Kodokan Judo book it points to the use of coloured belts for kyu ranks in late XIX-early XX century Japan in another jacketed wrestling art.

Now, wild speculation follows:

The guys in the 1922 video are "varsity players" (Kosen). Maybe they used a system of coloured belts that became discontinued (Kodokan pressures?) and forgotten.

Later, a coloured belts system for kyu grades was developed in Europe for the bakka gaijin and travelled back to Japan.
    Interesting idea. I know that they use colored belts for kids in Japan now, for sure.

Varsity could be KOSEN, or just any university where they had Judo-they did not all compete under KOSEN rules.

I'll check the book thread, thanks.

Ben

Posted On:
    9/14/2010 5:14am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Red Belts - a reply from BJA ....sort of

If any of you are BJA registered have a nose on their boards for this same topic. You'll find the question asked and the reply given, wait for it wait for it .... "move in circles grasshopper"

Make of that what you will. :new_black

Oh yeh - the guy replying is Roy Inman OBE 8th Dan, a few of you may have heard of him .... and his sense of "humour"

@fatprince101: Good on you for taking up the sport, seriously - nice one. The min' period between gradings ought to be 3 months as already mentioned, with active competition now recommended not before Blue belt. Having said that, if you become part of a University team in UK and have gained your Green belt, then inter-uni' comp's are generally open to your entering. Personally I feel the advice on concentrating on the [quality] of your Judo is far more pertinent. I know a lot of mid ranking Kyu grades who struggle with what ought to be novice tasks.
    Practice. Practice. Practice.

Good luck on your journey.

Posted On:
    9/14/2010 6:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jordijitsu View Post
    If any of you are BJA registered have a nose on their boards for this same topic. You'll find the question asked and the reply given, wait for it wait for it .... "move in circles grasshopper"

Make of that what you will. :new_black

Oh yeh - the guy replying is Roy Inman OBE 8th Dan, a few of you may have heard of him .... and his sense of "humour"
    So as I suspected the answer is they don't know and don't care lol.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234