Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2010 4:15pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For ****'s sake.

Why do these threads go to **** within the second page?

Posted On:
    8/01/2010 4:15pm

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @diesel tke. Why did you swap the kickboxing for the tma out of interest?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/01/2010 4:23pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I've been doing kickboxing for about 10 years and I was looking for something to change things up a little bit. I had been interested in Xingyi for a while because I kept reading threads about how it was similar to boxing, but had a lot of sword and knife applications.

So I made the switch and figured that I would stay with it for a while and keep an open mind. I've been having issues lately on whether I'm going to stick with it, or go back to kickboxing.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    8/01/2010 4:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    diesel_tke, in your opening post you typed that the club had Tai Chi, Xing-Yi and SanDa.

- Are there seperate SanDa classes?
    - Can you see Xing-Yi and Tai Chi style elements in the SanDa?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Posted On:
    8/01/2010 4:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by helmutlvx View Post
    For ****'s sake.

Why do these threads go to **** within the second page?
    Because it's easier to argue against what you want to argue against rather than read & respond to what's actually being said.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/01/2010 4:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Zendokan-
    No not really. The SanDa as I was told is included in the system. We do Tai Chi and Xingyi forms, compliance drills, push hands, counter drills, and some Sholin forms. I asked about SanDa a few time and a lot of the guys compete in SanDa competitions. But they say that the SanDa is included in the system and is not trained differently.

The Tai Chi push hands get to be a lot like wrestling. I like the Tai Chi. The Xingyi is mostly just the forms and compliant drills. Sparring is done rarely. I spar more outside of class then I do in class.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2010 5:05pm

Style: Muay Thai, Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The reason why I did kata: I liked (or even like) doing kata. Even now I'll often do a kata when I'm studying for exams and I'm feeling nervous since it relaxes me and I only need a few meters of open space to do them. Or just when I feel like practicing one.

Did I train it because I thought it would make me a better fighter? No, even at the karate club that was not the reason. Kata was most often done either as warm-up or cool-down.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    8/01/2010 5:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you seen some of the SanDa competitions? If so, what was the overall level of the tournement? And what were the levels of the SanDa fighters of your club?

I ask this because my BJJ and my Judo club share the training space with the Long Hu Men Kung-Fu school who organises also the 'Golden Dragon Cup' every year, which is the Belgian open-SanDa Championships.

While the SanDa fighters from Long Hu Men were the better ones under the 'Chinese style' clubs, they were in the best case averige compared to the 'non-Chinese style' clubs (MT, Full-Contact and Kick Boxing).

Maybe this can also be the case for your club, a good SanDa club in a certain competition circuit, but averige compared to other Kick Boxing styles.

Edit:
    1) the above is not to diss your club, but maybe they can use the Tai Chi and Xing-Yi in their SanDa because the level in their competition circuit isn't as high as you were used to in your Kick Boxing days and therefor you don't see how to apply the TC and XY style elements at the level that you want (just mindstorming)

2) I'm hitting the sack right now (it's past midnight here, gotta get up at 5 and have a 10 hours workday tomorrow + training).
    Last edited by Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs; 8/01/2010 5:30pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2010 7:54pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
    I can define TMA in two words: CULT-MENTALITY.

The glorification of kata is the heart of Bullshido; i.e. they take something crude and primitive, that was simply used as the cheapest method by which a third-world military dictatorship taught H2H combat to legions of illiterate superstitious soldiers, hundreds or thousands of years ago-- and so it became essentially caveman "warrior-rituals--" and these TMA cultists think they've freaking discovered The Ark of the Covenant, i.e. some type of magical Indiana-Jones "lost magical religious-secret'" that exceeds all modern weapons including the H-bomb, just like in the movies.

Hell, you should see the crap that these clueless internet Seagal-fanwankers spew about aikido, because they say "it was designed for war" Yeah, so were the lance, pike and plate armor, but gimme a little bitty .22 pistol anyday against that.

But still, the anti-scientific TMA-cultists go on swilling the kool-aid and chanting the mantra's about how TMA is better than all modern MMA because it's based on "ancient Chinese secret!" but that these Calgon-techniques are "too dangerous to test" (again like the Ark of the Covenant in Indiana Jones is too dangerous to open--when in REALITY, it was just a sort of portable Vatican-in-a-box used by Jews who were lost in the desert for 40 years because Moses wouldn't ask for directions).

In short, TMA's like any cult: i.e. it's a conceit by losers in denial-- including pretend-guru "masters" who pretend to have some great secret, and peer-approval by fellow losers and cultists... both of which are more addictive to losers than crack-cocaine.

And so they sail off into cult fantasy-land, where a "chi-strike" can destroy an M-1 tank.

(CLOSE YOUR EYES! DON'T LOOK, IT'LL DESTROY YOU! :-D

Whatever you think about Penn & Teller, you have to admit they nailed it with regard to TMA-losers, except for expressly naming it as a cult.
    Okay, I'll bite. Most fencing drills resemble kata in functionality. Ditto for shadow boxing. Does that mean fencing and Western boxing are a cult?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/01/2010 7:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, that is a good point. They compete at the SanDa competitions around here that are not that big. At the last tournament, there were not very many competitors and our people did well, but it was small. They did very well in push hands, and have a couple of internationally know guys. But that competition circuit is not very well managed.

They have a highlight video on youtube but it is kind of old. Thanks for the brain storming, it helps me put some perspective on things.
    Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast