Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hello newbie need advice on what to learn

Hey guys sup. I'm looking to learn martial arts to defend myself in a street-setting because in the town where I live mugging/violence/crime is rampant. I already got a pepper spray but I just wanna be ready in case things go wrong.

I'm 5'6, 150lbs, is this a factor to consider when choosing a martial art? There's a Muai Thai school near my house but I don't know anything about Muai Thai. What do you guys think?

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If crime is as bad as you say look into some situational awareness classes first. As was evidenced by a new thread recently, great arts aren't going to necessarily protect you from street violence. You need to learn what to avoid, where not to go, and how to have the proper mindset.

At that point you go see what you like. Visit various schools like Judoi, Muay Thai, Boxing, and see whay fits for you. Also, make sure any school you visit spars on a regular basis with out a huge focus on ready made compliant defenses.

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep it simple walk into the Muai Thai gym and give it a go. Muai thai is fine.
    BTW it is a striking art uses boxing kickboxing knees and elbows. With a bit of stand up grappling.
    good for self defence but Its is Fake is correct on the dont look for a reason to test your skills point.
    do a class post back and tell us how you go.
    Hight weight isnt that much of a factor.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are concerned with street violence and moving isn't an option, second to what It Is Fake stated.

Learn what areas and neighborhoods to avoid, train up your observational skills and constantly formulate and reformulate responses and escape routes.

If you do decide to train, don't strictly do it because you think you need protection, as this will minimize and limit what you take out of your training. Do it because you enjoy it, you have fun, you are improving yourself and your overall health and mindset.

Style
    Lifting heavy stuff
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi welcome to Bullshido. Im glad youre looking at starting martial arts and there are many reasons for doing so but in reality theres no martial art or combat sport that can guarantee your saftey in a "street setting" Also it will take a great deal of time to learn how to effectlivly use any martial art in a real fight situation.

Being able to aviod violent situations with verbal reasoning and being a fast runner would always be a safer option that staying to fight especially when you dont know if your opponent is armed or has friends with them.

When looking for martial arts for self defense purposes id personally say that your better off going with combat sports ( boxing, muay thai, kickboing, wrestling, judo, BJJ etc) as opposed to the more traditional martial arts ( karate, TKD, kung fu) because the aim of combat sports is to create good fighters although in a sporting context youll learn (in time) to fight against a fully resisting, non compliant opponent, which is similar to what you would face in a real fight.

Although even Mike Tyson isnt hard enough to stop a bullet from a gun and muggers tend to be armed. if you find your self being mugged just hand over your wallet, phone, watch etc as they arent as nearly as expensive as your life.

When choosing a martial art or combat sport try many different ones and choose the one that you enjoy the most as you will need to spend a great deal of time doing it before you can actually start to rely on it in a real fight and you wont stick to somthing that you dont enjoy. Muay thai is considered to be one of if not the best of all striking arts. Its a ring sport where you can strike you're opponent using your fists, elbows, knees and shins/feet with the aim of knocking out youre opponent. Clinch fighting plays a big role in muay thai aswell and powerfully knees and elbows can be thrown from this position. many fights start or end up with some sort of clinch so this range of fighting is key to learn. Thai fighters also have awesome conditioning.

YouTube- Ramon Dekkers Muay Thai

However i dont do Muay thai and theres alot more experienced Thai boxers on this forum that will be able to tell you about the pro's and cons of muay thai in greater detail.

hope this helps

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When looking for martial arts for self defense purposes id personally say that your better off going with combat sports ( boxing, muay thai, kickboing, wrestling, judo, BJJ etc) as opposed to the more traditional martial arts ( karate, TKD, kung fu) because the aim of combat sports is to create good fighters although in a sporting context youll learn (in time) to fight against a fully resisting, non compliant opponent, which is similar to what you would face in a real fight.
    Okay let's keep the bias out.

Style
    Lifting heavy stuff
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Okay let's keep the bias out.
    Ok sorry. what i said wasnt totally accurate i suppose there's a big difference to learning to fight and actuall self defence. Self defense isnt all about physical confrontation. Verbally diffusing the situation, body posturing and being aware of you're surrounding also have a big part to play.

Im not sure where the OP is from but here in the UK we have a good guy called Geoff thompson who deals with self defense. Although he comes from a very traditional back ground in shotokan karate he has cross trained in various other arts and combat sports but i think where he excells is in the mental aspects, fear managment, pressure testing techniques under stress etc.

YouTube- The Fence - Geoff Thompson - Clip 1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow thanks for all the replies guys. You're right, I want to avoid any violence if necessary. I'm still deciding whether to give Muai Thai a go or not, but If I ever do I'll do it for the exercise/conditioning rather than preparing to fight someone in the streets.

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwinglair View Post
    Wow thanks for all the replies guys. You're right, I want to avoid any violence if necessary. I'm still deciding whether to give Muai Thai a go or not, but If I ever do I'll do it for the exercise/conditioning rather than preparing to fight someone in the streets.
    Just do it.
    do 1 lesson make that your challenge for the week.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwinglair View Post
    I'm still deciding whether to give Muai Thai a go or not
    Luckily many, if not most, schools offer a free introductory lesson and some even give a free week trial offer.

Why don't you search around for all the schools in your area and post up what is available to you. If you have questions about particular styles or even individual schools, we can try and answer them for you.

Then, make a list of what sounds interesting and begin scheduling some free lessons, go in, work out and see what you like best.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last