--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Took a while, but found what I was looking for

Hey you guys I'm new to martial arts and kinda upset I never started it sooner. I come from an exercise science background and consider myself in good physical condition. One of my biggest complaints visiting a few schools (aikido, juijitsu, jkd, kung fu) was the lack of conditioning. That and some schools of the lack of practicality. I did end up settlinging on a Krav Maga school that I wasn't even remotely interested in at first. I know there's a few mixed emotions on Krav Maga, but of the schools the class seemed most practical and actually had individuals in shape. It was more aggressive and I felt best utalized my natural ability. I really wanted to get into kung fu and even aikido, but was a little dissapointed.

Style
    Rehab(Back Surgery)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before you settle check out Judo and maybe some kickboxing/boxing. It is hard to get more practical and no nonsense.

Good luck and welcome to Bullshido.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really wanted to do Judo, but the closest place was like 35min from me.

Style
    Rehab(Back Surgery)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where are you located ? We might be able to track something down for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in southern nh/ma border

Style
    JJJ/JKD/Kali/Combatives
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyRyback View Post
    I really wanted to do Judo, but the closest place was like 35min from me.
    Well, I don't know what your life is like, but a 35 minute drive for a quality martial arts school isn't all that bad. As others have said, the time you spend in the commute will more than make up for the time wasted at a sucky school closer to home. Just something to consider.

Also, I don't know what the krav school is like. There are mixed feelings about KM on Bullshido, but IMO, it depends more on the school than anything. If it's meeting your expectations and goals and you're happy, and the school spars or has other alive training frequently, it's probably okay.

That said, keep your ears and eyes open for other opportunities. It never hurts to crosstrain.

Welcome to Bullshido.