Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 4:30pm

Style: Judo, BJJ, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Westside for Skinny Over-training Grapplers

So, my goal is just to increase strength / athletic performance in grappling with a lifting program. Specifically, I need to round off weak points and get better at picking people up in judo and keeping my legs stable while performing uchimata, but what I really need to do before getting into explosive techniques etc. is shore up my weaknesses, which is why I'm trying to modify WSFSB a bit with a touch of stronglifts philosophy. I also need to keep things light (I overtrained in the spring and set myself back a couple of times minorly with injuries - torn calf twice (both at different times), tightened IT band, etc.). So, that aside, here is what I'm trying:

Upper Body Max Effort

M Squats (warm ups) 2x5 (at 1/4 and 1/2 est. max)
    Dips (will be progressively weighting after I can consistently do over 7 or so unweighted) 5 x 5
    Chin-ups (3 x 6)
    Alternating Hand-Position Pushups (3 x 12)
    Vertical Grip Lat Pull-Downs (3 x 12)

Upper Body Reps

W DL (warm ups, 2x5 at 1/4 and 1/2 est. max)
    Overhead Press (empty 45 bar) 3 x ~12 atm
    Inverted Rows 3 x ~8 atm
    Feet Elevated Push-ups 2 x 25
    Alt. Bicep Curls 2 x 12

Lower Body

F Squats (Work up to 3-5 rep max, 5-6 sets)
    DL (1 x 5)
    Barbell Reverse Lunges (3 x 12) 12 = 24/2 legs
    Swiss Ball Leg curl (2 x 12)

Any thoughts on this? I really like the Stronglifts approach to having something like squats start out every workout, but I just can't do a 5x5 squat three times a week with 4-5 grappling sessions split between judo and BJJ. Thus the warm-up squat and deadlift on Mon. and Wed. respectively. I kill the lower body on F since I do judo and BJJ MTWR and occsaionally Saturday - I just don't stay after and roll on Sats anymore if my legs are too sore.

I don't do any of the ab workouts from WSFSB right now for two reasons - one, my core is disproportionately strong in comparison with my arms and quads and two, I do ab circuit **** all the time in judo and BJJ and can't plan for when it's going to come up.

One thing I am looking to tweak is knocking out those push-up variations I have in the workout. I'm trying to avoid a lot of the bench press / push-up type exercises and replace with dip stuff in the long run because my shoulders already slope forward and I do varying amounts of push-ups in grappling classes already, but am not sure what to replace it with until I get my dips up. I'm a bit wary of triceps isolation, but maybe it's worth doing?

Anyways, thoughts on tweaking this (or throwing it out and sticking to something else)? 4-5 lifts is very do-able for me over lunch at work 3/week and I'm trying to avoid getting into overtraining territory again.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 7:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You said you can't do Stronglifts 3x a week. What about if you were to just do it twice a week?

Is this version 1 you're running here?
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    8/02/2010 7:46am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say less workouts with 3-5x5 would be better than more workouts with less sets/reps
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    8/21/2010 12:16am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    8/21/2010 6:50pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not surprising that you would be worried about overtraining. Judo and BJJ are intense activities. 4-5 sessions a week (is each session an hour?) is a great deal of volume in and of itself. You would do better focusing on recovery and compensatory work than trying to throw in additional training. Without a qualified coach monitoring your training it will be very difficult to avoid overtraining and injury with 4-5 sessions of Judo and BJJ plus weight training every week as you have described it here. If you want to lift right now than I would suggest two sessions a week with extremely low volume but high weight and no more than 2 or 3 movements focusing on limit strength. Later on perhaps when you are not doing this many sessions a week you could shift the focus of your training.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    8/22/2010 7:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On reccomendation from Emevas I've been doing a couple of 3x5 workouts per week for a while now and I'm making faster progress than before.

Day1:
    Squat
    Press
    Weighted chins

Day 2:
    Deadlift
    Weighted Dips
    Weighted Pullups

all exercises 3x5
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    8/22/2010 8:41am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    On reccomendation from Emevas I've been doing a couple of 3x5 workouts per week for a while now and I'm making faster progress than before.

Day1:
    Squat
    Press
    Weighted chins

Day 2:
    Deadlift
    Weighted Dips
    Weighted Pullups

all exercises 3x5
    I'd personally replace one of those vertical pulls with a horizontal one (some sort of row), but that will still work.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/22/2010 2:37pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shito-Ryu Karate, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My original post got deleted because it was a link but I'll post this normally.

The routine I've been doing comes from Randy Couture's training regime. The big difference is he alters the weight more and does 3x8 for 3-5 sets instead of 3x10 for 3 sets. Its designed specifically for grappling. It uses almost every muscle in your body (save calves and neck really) and trains you for explosive power and endurance. It works the pulling muscles and the pushing muscles and the OHP's and Squats will help you do some excellent throws. Im a karate guy but I still do the weights this way and my kicks/punches and balance is alot stronger because of it.

T/TH = 10 bent rows, 10 standing rows, 10 overhead presses, 10 squats, 10 stiff legged dead lifts. Start with a 45 pound bar and add 5-10 pounds per week. Run through the routine with no break in between movements. Wait a minute when done and repeat 2 more times. When I started It was easy until I got up to 100 pounds, then moving all that weight, that fast with no break really started to make me sweat. After a few weeks my body adapted to it and I can blow through the whole routine in about 8 minutes. By the end though i'm completely covered in sweat, breathing like I ran 5 miles and part of me wants to die a little bit.

M/W/F = Go for a run look up the couch to 3k thing on google and try that out. I also do the 100 push ups challenge, sit ups and pull ups because I want to be ready for the police academy but you may or may not want to do that.