Administrator

Posted On:
    1/12/2011 5:34pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post

From what I know, Lee's stance was a "mirror" boxing stance. His "lead" was his power hand -- which allowed him greater speed. I know of boxers who have switched to this stance midway through a bout -- mostly as a tactic to provoke confusion.

(I've tried this while sparring. It left me feeling naked and unprotected -- as though the left side of my body was useless.)
    Thanks, this explains the miscommunication.

As for Wing Chun, I was taught to never step with your foot when you punch since this telegraphs. Hence, why it doesn't look "chunny" to me.
    Interesting "never step?"

I've spent hours looking at Xingyi videos, and the footwork looks confusing as hell.
    What videos because, half the people complain the foot work is to basic?

I must admit, I have no bloody clue how you guys generate power.
    I have no clue what videos you are viewing unless, you are watching pretty wushu videos.

Posted On:
    1/12/2011 5:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    I have no bloody clue how you guys generate power.

It is...internal!

*sounds gong*

Posted On:
    4/23/2012 12:53pm

Style: kravmaga wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Lee punch works. I personally had James Demile, and a few of his students years ago hit me in the chest while performing the punch. It works, it hurts. Is it the end all magical punch , no, but it hurts. To demonstrate the power, it turns into more of a "push", so the person watchiung can "see" whats going on. When you get hit, it just hurts, it will drop you. And to people watching, they cannot relate to it. Jesse Glover, James Demile, even the people trained under Demile can deliver this punch. I was ok with it. Its more of an application to develope short range power. Go try it if you dont beleive it. I had to. Its good stuff. Look at some knockout punches you see, they look like the person barely gets hit, but its just enough to drop a guy. Same thing, but this is short range power, aligning your hand, wrist, arm, body, legs to deliver one nice punch.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    4/23/2012 1:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by clawhammer View Post
    The Lee punch works. I personally had James Demile, and a few of his students years ago hit me in the chest while performing the punch. It works, it hurts. Is it the end all magical punch , no, but it hurts. To demonstrate the power, it turns into more of a "push", so the person watchiung can "see" whats going on. When you get hit, it just hurts, it will drop you. And to people watching, they cannot relate to it. Jesse Glover, James Demile, even the people trained under Demile can deliver this punch. I was ok with it. Its more of an application to develope short range power. Go try it if you dont beleive it. I had to. Its good stuff. Look at some knockout punches you see, they look like the person barely gets hit, but its just enough to drop a guy. Same thing, but this is short range power, aligning your hand, wrist, arm, body, legs to deliver one nice punch.
    JD can deliver legit power with this technique. There's nothing special about it, it's just a kinetic chain like a cross or an uppercut. Hurting someone with the 1IP is like throwing someone with just kuzushi; it shows a very high level of skill, but it's properly (an more effectively) done as part of a larger sequence. In that sense it's really just for demos.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2012 1:42pm

Style: Xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An interesting anecdote on cun jin/1 inch power from a Baguazhang master who worked in the Public Security Bureau of Beijing:

MR.MA: "Shrink, Be Soft like Cotton and Clever" (Suo Xiao Mian Ruan Qiao) so that you can shrink your body, without using any strength, relaxed, like a spring, that can be released at any time, but only upon contact with the opponent, never before. Trying to use power on distance is not effective.

JS: Is this so-called "One-Inch-Power" (Cun Jin) that you are talking about?

MR.MA: Yes, in Neijia we strike using One-Inch-Power. Hitting from a distance is not effective as it does not really hurt the opponent. The worst what can happen are some bruises that can heal in few days. When I strike my opponent I want him to spit with blood...This is the reason we emphasize Neigong so much. When you have Neigong, if you want to hurt the opponent, you can hurt him; if you want to push him into the air like a leather ball, you can do it as well at will.
    Sounds a little magic-fu to me but just thought I'd provide something from a non- wing chun stand point. I would provide the reference link but apparently my account isnt old enough. Its available on chinafrominside though.
  6. appliednorva

Posted On:
    7/15/2012 11:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The power of the one inch punch comes from the pull of the back shoulder along with the turning of the hips and a forward push of the legs. Its a idea from the third form of Wing Chun and basic long bridge. That is where Bruce Lee got it from, this is not to say others styles can't do the same thing.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/15/2012 11:56am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously, don't make me create a thread with your musings.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 7:48am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here we go again...
  9. monk64

Posted On:
    7/18/2012 7:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I picked up James DeMile's book on the power punch at a garage sale for a dollar a few years ago. The pictures show the punch starting with the index finger pointing down and then snapping up, but it's obvious there is a lot of shoulder, torso, and hip motion as well.

I read it and thought "why would I want to approach an opponent with my wrist cocked down?" Looks like an easy way to break a wrist to me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2012 7:57pm

Style: JP Jeet June Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously, don't make me create a thread with your musings.
    Read more at http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...3sKUF2gGHqC.99
    Here we go again...
    Chun time?

I read it and thought "why would I want to approach an opponent with my wrist cocked down?" Looks like an easy way to break a wrist to me.
    Read more at http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...3sKUF2gGHqC.99
    Read Matt Phillips' post again.
    you wouldn't approach someone, wrist all floppy, and place you extended index knuckle on their chest to give them a 1 inch punch. Its mostly a demonstration technique. The application is, that in a middle of a flurry, wherever your hands are, you can hit with power, even if your jammed. Snapping the wrist straight makes this a concussive hit, rather than a push. Its like training only the last 10% of a jab, to perfect the snap, and knuckle placement.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast