Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2011 10:29am

Style: Japanese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    PS: There's a Green Hornet marathon on SyFy right now!

PPS: This show is friggin' awful.
    Blasphemy! You shall beg for forgiveness before the ABC Television Gawds of my Yute!

Your unworthy eyes were privileged to witness that show – because unlike the campy Batman series – since TGH was a one and done series (26 episodes) it was never really later syndicated on to UHF channels.

BUT… the real question from my youth - more than four decades since Green Hornet's filming in 1966 - was if Van Williams' character, The Daily Sentinel Publisher Britt Reid doing the workplace nasty with actress Wende Wagner's secretary character... Lenore 'Casey' Case ???

Wende was sort of a Christina Hendricks of the day - a curvy, redheaded, fantasy woman - years before "hostile working environment" was in the lexicon.

BTW if you watched any Green Hornet episodes that had "a car chase scene" in them did you happen to notice that the street corner that the Black Beauty just squealed around looked just like the corner they had past just fifteen seconds before?!?

Those Hollywood back lot car chase scenes were keepers.

“And now, to protect the rights and lives of decent citizens rides the Green Hornet!”

Posted On:
    1/12/2011 10:46am

Style: 5x5, 5.56mm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The way I was taught it in the chun it was to collapse your hand into a fist on the persons solar plexus/chest or whatever and then shove but with the mechanics of a cross.

You could indeed knock people over with it but A) it's not a punch. B) you may as well shove them and C) it's a bastard to apply and therefore ****.

Bruces version looked similar and equally ridiculous. I'm aware you could use a similar concept in boxing with more effect but not in Xingyi, I'll have to check that out.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/12/2011 10:56am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovacs View Post
    The way I was taught it in the chun it was to collapse your hand into a fist on the persons solar plexus/chest or whatever and then shove but with the mechanics of a cross.
    Yeah, terrible.

You could indeed knock people over with it but A) it's not a punch. B) you may as well shove them and C) it's a bastard to apply and therefore ****.
    Yeah terrible.

Bruces version looked similar and equally ridiculous.
    Demo. You guys do know that was before he changed and started Jun Fan and developed JKD.

I'm aware you could use a similar concept in boxing with more effect but not in Xingyi, I'll have to check that out.
    It is the Drop Step that Jack Dempsey talks about. That is the mechanics behind the 1-inch punch in xingyi. Thanks again for making me hate the chun even more. This stationary palm folding fist dead arm punch is inexplicable to me.

Posted On:
    1/12/2011 12:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Demo. You guys do know that was before he changed and started Jun Fan and developed JKD.
    I didn't know, the demo I saw was along the lines of the shoving one inch 'punch'. I haven't seen any of the later stuff.

It is the Drop Step that Jack Dempsey talks about. That is the mechanics behind the 1-inch punch in xingyi. Thanks again for making me hate the chun even more. This stationary palm folding fist dead arm punch is inexplicable to me.
    Now I can see that, if you apply anything to the Drop Step it's going to do something. So it's more like a very short ranged strike than a shove?

If the folding palm thing annoys you about the Chun check this out, the 1" pucn we were taught was sold like this, after a demo:

"If this is that a punch can do at one inch, imagine what a full chain punch can do."

I'm not sure if the concept was pushed like this in any other organisations but myself and the rest of the class ate it up as did anyone I showed it to. I can't believe I fell for that ****.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/12/2011 1:11pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He did two an I have no clue what order. Yes. they are both terrible. I still believe he changed them, as many people do for the demos, to make it look more impressive.

Notice his feet and hips in this one. Don't worry about where his arm is or the fist. Okay now watch his shoulders and the short extension of his arm.

YouTube - 1 inch punch
    He is using the mechanics of the theory to execute the punch. Let's be real, it should be called a push.

This is the one everyone remembers:
    YouTube - 1 inch punch

Not only is the stance and mechanics different he leans forward and the demo guy has a broken stance.

No, the chun I learned was flawed, but it seems it was a little more based in common sense.

No offense of course.

Posted On:
    1/12/2011 1:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Non taken. It was the first MA I had ever done and the Kool Aide was flowing fast. I wised up quite quickly afterward.

The demo we were shown was a simlar set up to the videos above and the mechanics a mishmash leaning towards the second one. It looked great as it was designed to and naturally no one could apply it as it needs an unrealistic scenario to work.

I can get on well with short range striking and even plain old shoving, there's a time and a place for both but in general I don't like the concept of the "one inch punch".

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/12/2011 2:11pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovacs View Post
    I don't like the concept of the "one inch punch".
    See I take it further. I don't mind the concept "IF" it is taught as a bridge/trick to get you to understand the technique. Short power development is fine it is the deadly one punch KO crap that I don't like.

I put in the realm of a teaching aid like this:
    YouTube - Boxing Training Defense Workout Tennis Ball Chin Tuck Drill.

It is an outdated training technique kept mystical by idiots.

Posted On:
    1/12/2011 2:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I agree, the concept of bridging/striking from an inch is sound, I just can't stand the showmanship often used to explain it. It's the fact that when it's displayed as a party trick, which it is 99.9% of the time and instructors treat it as a genuine display of power it annoys me.

I've been out of the Chun for over a decade now, I wonder if it's still taught or taken seriously any more.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/12/2011 2:39pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is in some places because, we used to get a about 20-30posters a year talking about their quest for the deadly Dim Mak and one inch punch. I will say, with the push of competition, the incidents are much lower than when I first joined..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2011 3:04pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know Lee's most famous 1 inch punch demo happened in 1964. Lee formulated Jeet Kune Do in 1967. From what I hear, he still did the 1 inch punch demo after 1967.

Not only is the stance and mechanics different he leans forward and the demo guy has a broken stance.
    This is the video that goes through my head when I think of the 1 inch punch. The stance seems more "JKD-ish" to me than otherwise.

From what I know, Lee's stance was a "mirror" boxing stance. His "lead" was his power hand -- which allowed him greater speed. I know of boxers who have switched to this stance midway through a bout -- mostly as a tactic to provoke confusion.

(I've tried this while sparring. It left me feeling naked and unprotected -- as though the left side of my body was useless.)

The 1 inch punch demo in the second video seems more consistent to me with JKD.

As for Wing Chun, I was taught to never step with your foot when you punch since this telegraphs. Hence, why it doesn't look "chunny" to me.

It is the Drop Step that Jack Dempsey talks about. That is the mechanics behind the 1-inch punch in xingyi
    I've spent hours looking at Xingyi videos, and the footwork looks confusing as hell. I must admit, I have no bloody clue how you guys generate power.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast