Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2004 8:03am

Style: Aikido, Boxing, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "My problem, however, is when people train and think they can fight and defend themselves just because they can tear the focus mits up or they have perfect kata. Until you actually go at it, you won't learn how to actually USE what you have learned. If people want to train just for the enjoyment and exercise of it, well, then so be it. Instructors and students should just be honest about their capabilities or lack thereof."

Precisely ;) I agree 100%

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    10/12/2004 4:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how about i work on my ground skills so i dont wanna do any stand up wit you.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    10/12/2004 7:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote:
    And if one of those schools says "fighting is for big egos and we train for health, self-defense etc." what's wrong with that? It's not like they are claiming that they can fight.
    --------------------------------------

In my opinion for a school to claim they teach self defense but in the next sentence they also claim they donít know how to fight is just plain scary. How can you effectively defend yourself in a physical altercation (e.g. no weapons) without knowing how to fight? I will agree that sparring is not an end all to learning how to fight but it does give you the coordination, stamina, timing, angles, pain threshold, practice etc. that youíd require in a real situation. It also helps you to a lesser degree with adrenaline dump, tunnel vision, loss of fine motor skills and hearing distortion that is commonly associated with fighting. Without sparring or real fighting a person will have little concept of what really works, how to do it or when to practice Ti Flee. Itís funny to see peopleís faces the first time they spar and get a nice crisp punch to the face. Kinda throws your whole fancy defenses and footwork out the window. One of my biggest complaints about some of these womenís self defense classes nowadays is the overconfidence it gives them when in reality they should always seek to avoid/leave a situation if possible. Eye gouging or groin strikes are not as easy in reality or effective as they are touted to be.

Quote:
    Remember, Martial Arts were first developed by some monk to keep their followers in shape, not to win fights.
    ---------------------------------------------

It has been my understanding that the first signs of what we now consider to be martial arts where developed way back in Mesopotamia and can be traced back before civilization had even appeared in places such as China etc. The first techniques were developed for defense ironically against both animals and humans. The whole philosophy, health and meditation thing came way later and was spread to China by way of India.

Quote:
    this kind of crap I heard&read many times from TMA practitioners or from people who think they can defend themselves "in t3h str33t" with eye gouges/pinches/genital grinding etc. etc....
    ------------------------------

Genital grindingÖ WTF? Iím not sure what that is but I sure hope nobody ever tries it on me except maybe my old lady.

Quote:
    To continue your music analogy, that would be like learning all of the notes and cords but never actually playing the song. You could say, "Oh, yeah. I know I could play the song if I have to. After all, I play all the notes and cords every day in music class." Sorry. It just isn't the same thing.
    ----------------------------

Nice, that is it in a nutshell. One guy can play notes and cords, the next can play songs decently and another is in a Philharmonic Orchestra. If Iím learning to play the sax I want to learn how to play a song or two. I know Iíll never be in an orchestra but why pay for the lessons if all Iím ever going to learn is the notes and my teacher professes to teach songs?
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678