Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 9:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Police grappling (aikido based?)

Ive done about 1.5 years of BJJ (under a blackbelt, not online)

I'm about to go through a pretty long police academy, and was looking at their defensive/arrest tactics. From what little bit I have seen, alot of the arrest tactics seem to be Aikido based, with the comealong/gooseneck being the center of it, and everything else kinda branching off. I was wondering if anyone who had been through similar training had any comments on its usefulness/realism in their experience. I'm trying to get an idea if this is going to be a wonderful epiphany or an eyerolling exercise in fantasy.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 9:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I worked at one of the Idaho Post academy's for one year. The arrest methods/tactics appeared to me to be aikido/ju jutsu based, along with various pressure point/nerve strikes. There was also some ground fighting stuff, which was based on BJJ. Various methods to control people onto the ground and get cuffs on them are used/taught.

I now work in law enforcement, and have seen several arrests. What the LEO's do is not fantasy based-if it works, they use it, otherwise, they don't. Keep an open mind about it, and try not to roll your eyes. The cops I know can and do take people down physically all the time, and are good at it. I would not want to get into a fight with ANY of them, even if they not armed with TASER, pepper spray, ASP, knives, and usually two sidearms.

Ben

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 10:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the tactics you are taught are usually defined by that particular PD's rules and procedure. So for instance NYPD's defensive tactics are different than Nassau County's tactics, despite being both NY state.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 6:40am

supporting member
     Style: Kempo-Goju Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok, most DAAT programs have a very sound theory, the main problem is that in training they are not practiced with "timing, energy, and motion" commonly refered to as "aliveness".

Administrators dont want to risk injuries to the officers, and dont really feel training time in DAAT is a priority.

My expierence, most resistive arrest require you to take someone down, so takedowns and tackles would be better taught then wristlocks,IMO.

also, once you get them down you have to keep them down, so some type of ground control is important. then comes the cuffing techniques. my two cents
    16 years till retirement.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 7:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma/thai/pai lum/etc.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    did corrections and the base for a lot of it was from aikido. Different locks from wrist to should, etc. Taught a lot of pair training and getting used to co-op tactics. Not a bad program but as someone stated above I think they were worried about people getting hurt more than actual application.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 7:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I recall correct Mtripp trained in Aikido-based police techniques and tactics at the Tokyo Police Headquarters. Do a search on this site for "Mtripp" and "taiho jutsu" and you will find the threads.

PS: The "taiho jutsu" of the Tokyo Police Department has got nothing to do with the "taiho jutsu" taught in the US or on youtube.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 8:34am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whatever they teach at a police academy will be introductory at best. Any police officer that wants to be competent at fighting/grappling needs to seek out instruction and training on their own time. It still amazes me that most police gyms are set up to prepare people for a posedown rather than a throwdown.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 10:39am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to be an intermediate instructor in a police defense tactics organization based off what is taught at the Tokyo Police Academy (Yoshinkan aikido base, with a lot of tanbo and other stuff), and combines that with a lot of stuff from PPCT, the NLETC, and some others.

Police stations have some say over their own training. My father was a Police Chief for many years and he basically just sent guys to be instructor trainers then come back and teach other people. In my experience working with policemen (and other security elements) we would let them go as "alive" as they and their partner wanted..something they may not have been able to do at their respective departments depending on whoever was in charge and/or teaching their class.

Its very true each police dept. can vary as to their use of force policy. For example, my dad wouldn't allow his cops to be certified and taught the lateral vascular neck restraint (LVNR) because he felt the risk-reward wasn't worth it for the crime level of his city (its basically a blood choke, and there have been something like two deaths with security people using LVNR, but they were due to those security guys doing it wrong...I believe dropping coked out guys hard to the deck when the "choke" out b/c they get so heavy when unconscious)...but I digress.

Best at your academy,

A

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 11:47am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    Whatever they teach at a police academy will be introductory at best. Any police officer that wants to be competent at fighting/grappling needs to seek out instruction and training on their own time. It still amazes me that most police gyms are set up to prepare people for a posedown rather than a throwdown.

This. We also did some kickboxing and knife fightin. That was fun.

Live training = injuries = workers comp = shift is short = over worked officers = bad morale = disservice to the public.

That is how training goes in my experience. Keep up with your BJJ training on the side, and you will be good to go.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 11:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    I believe dropping coked out guys hard to the deck when the "choke" out b/c they get so heavy when unconscious)...but I digress.
    Yeah, because having someone smash their head on the pavement and spill their fucking brains all over the floor is A-OK.

He was resisting your honour!
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast