Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 5:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gutterfighting/Shorin-Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by helmutlvx View Post
    There's other styles of traditional karate that do those things as well, if you haven't looked into them.

Isshin-ryu, Shito-ryu, Shorin-ryu, Wado-ryu (I think), and a couple others I'm not thinking of at this moment. I kinda doubt you would have kobudo around there, but check around for that too
    If you didn't read my opening post I stated that I have studied Shorin-Ryu since I was 13. I will not study Isshin Ryu. We have plenty of Kobudo in my area, just depends on whether I am interested in the school offering it or not. Any of the "traditional" schools offer it pretty much.

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 5:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TBH if your main criterion is a "traditional" atmosphere rather than, does it work on a resisting opponent; you've come to the wrong place.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 5:52pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun Assassin View Post
    If you didn't read my opening post I stated that I have studied Shorin-Ryu since I was 13. I will not study Isshin Ryu. We have plenty of Kobudo in my area, just depends on whether I am interested in the school offering it or not. Any of the "traditional" schools offer it pretty much.
    Oh, I didn't see that. Good luck on your search.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 6:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gutterfighting/Shorin-Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    TBH if your main criterion is a "traditional" atmosphere rather than, does it work on a resisting opponent; you've come to the wrong place.
    Well Lindz TBH, I have had plenty of experience working against resisting opponents. In the past I practiced Muay Thai and BJJ for MMA and I currently train in a very live Combatives program. I am not looking for this from Ju Jitsu. With the Ju Jitsu I am looking to study an art that interests me, on a level deeper than "I can F someone up". I am confident in the fact that I can protect myself and those around me if need be.

-------
    EDIT - I am looking for a school that teaches Atemi along with Nage Waza, Osae Waza etc. Not just some stripmall JJ school.
    Last edited by Shogun Assassin; 7/29/2010 6:08pm at .

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 1:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want traditional JJJ on LI, why not try Daito Ryu with Howard Popkin?
    http://www.popkinbrognaselfdefense.c...6/Default.aspx

In regards to there begin no Judo near you, well, there's plenty of Judo on Long Island though not knowing your address or conception of near (I travel 40 mins to get to my Judo club) I can't say you're wrong. I recently found 7 legit dojos for my friend's son, all less than 20 mins from their house in Valley Stream.

Try looking here: http://judoinfo.com/new/articles-index/find-a-judo-club
    Last edited by maofas; 7/30/2010 1:22am at .

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 5:20am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    Actually he's in EXACTLY the right place.. this being the Traditional Martial Arts and Styles Forum.

Now shut up unless you want to be helpful.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 5:23am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    If you want traditional JJJ on LI, why not try Daito Ryu with Howard Popkin?
    http://www.popkinbrognaselfdefense.c...6/Default.aspx
    ^

This.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 10:05am

Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While im not a Jiu Jitsu guy you have Theodoru in Centereach
    And Joe Pulieo in Smithtown that are Japanese JJ . I cant tell you much about them but if you are in suffolk they might be worth a look
    Move along citizen ,nothing to see here !!!!!

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 10:57am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun Assassin View Post
    Well Lindz TBH, I have had plenty of experience working against resisting opponents. In the past I practiced Muay Thai and BJJ for MMA and I currently train in a very live Combatives program. I am not looking for this from Ju Jitsu. With the Ju Jitsu I am looking to study an art that interests me, on a level deeper than "I can F someone up". I am confident in the fact that I can protect myself and those around me if need be.

-------
    EDIT - I am looking for a school that teaches Atemi along with Nage Waza, Osae Waza etc. Not just some stripmall JJ school.
    i believe that my sensei has a student who runs a dojo on long island, i will ask about it and post what i find out.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 11:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I figured bullshido was a poor choice when your main criterion was cultural trappings rather than something related to technique or training methods. And kendo was a serious suggestion.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast