Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 7:58am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Billy Sandow & Ed "Strangler" Lewis - Wrestling, Part Two

I am pleased to announce the republication of Wrestling, Part Two by Billy Sandow and Ed "Strangler" Lewis. This is Vol. 7 of an 8 volume set covering Physical Culture and Catch as Catch Can Wrestling.

As always, the PDF download is free:
    Wrestling, Part two by Billy Sandow and Ed "Strangler" Lewis

Blurb:
    An early superstar of Catch-as-Catch-Can wrestling, at the time called "Hooking," instructor and mentor to the equally famous Lou Thesz, and holding at least 8 "World Champion" titles, Ed "Strangler" Lewis laid out his system of wrestling and physical culture in 8 volumes.

Partnering with his long time manager Billy Sandow, "Strangler" poses for 61 instructional photos in this volume alone. Describing each technique with multiple sequence photos and exposition on each photo, Lewis shows many basic and advanced skills. Most interestingly, several of Lewis' "signature" techniques are showcased, including his "famous" get-behind.

Truly a unique and important piece of Catch-as-Catch-Can Wrestling history.
    On a special note, I am actively looking for the rest of this set to republish. If you have the set, or at least Volumes 6 and 8 (the wrestling instruction) and would be interested in allowing me to republish using your originals, please contact me here or at my personal email: lklawson@gmail.com Original prints only, please, not the Paladin reprint.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 8:12am

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not sure why, but the download doesn't work? It says something of "[title].pdf.part", which makes me think that the file itself might be broken? Or is it just me?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 8:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
    I am not sure why, but the download doesn't work? It says something of "[title].pdf.part", which makes me think that the file itself might be broken? Or is it just me?
    I'm looking into it now.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 8:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, I just successfully downloaded the PDF in its entirety so there may be an issue with your download software.

What are you using?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 6:30pm

Style: Generic MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It worked for me. I right-click the download deal & select "save as". Another excellent catch there. This stuff has been airbrushed from martial arts history & might have been completely forgotten if not for the MMA/grappling craze. Reading about those matches between the catch guys & the old Judo guys makes me wonder what all else has been lost.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 7:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffphansen77 View Post
    It worked for me. I right-click the download deal & select "save as". Another excellent catch there.
    Excellent. Glad you like.

This stuff has been airbrushed from martial arts history & might have been completely forgotten if not for the MMA/grappling craze. Reading about those matches between the catch guys & the old Judo guys makes me wonder what all else has been lost.
    Well, most of it is documented, you just have to find it. For instance, the early JJ vs CaCC matches were all written up in Newspaper articles &tc. There were a lot of Boxing vs. JJ debates too. Got a lot of air-play in period Gentlemen's sports magazines. I even ran across a period published compilation of essays on the subject on ebay recently.

It's all there in the records, magazines, books, etc. You just have to either hunt it up or run across it accidentally.

An example of what I mean is the Slungshot. AFAICT, every State has a law making Slungshot illegal. But what is it? Most folks confuse it with a Slingshot; a rubber-band small-arm/sometimes-toy shooter. But it's not. It's actually a kind of flail developed by sailors. It became popular as a simple to make, easy to conceal weapon, often used by criminals. Sort of their version of soap-in-a-sock. If you spend some quality time with newspaper archives you will find all manner of accounts of so-n-so being murdered with a slung shot, such-n-such being arrested for using one and sometimes the details of it's construction, weight, or where the victim was struck. I came across one tantalizing article in which a female would lure victims with her feminine wiles and then bludgeon them with a Slungshot and rob them.

But if you didn't get a bur under your saddle to research the Slungshot, you'd never know, today, why the heck all those states outlawed toys that 8yo boys use to kill crows. ;)

On a republishing note, I've started work on Edwin Shaw's "Teacher of Sparring," an 1886 Boxing manual. The copy I had access to was very, very clean and the scans are so clear that I was able to finish & retouch all the instructional pics in just a few days over my lunch hour. I expect to have it complete and ready for distribution next week (which is really blowing out the speed records!).

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk