--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hello everyone, I wish I would've found you sooner

Howdy all, I started martial arts at the beginning of the year at the age of 39 for the first time. I had a weightlifting background so I wasn't completely out of shape. I looked around at a few schools and I decided on one. The schools price was very good and the instruction seemed very good as well so I signed up and just paid for 9 months upfront.

I soon realized why their price were so good. They trained me then they wanted me to test for a belt. It didn't really matter to me since getting a belt wasn't my focus. They finally pestered me into testing so I paid the 60 bucks and received my first colored belt. Right after the testing ended they announced that they'd be handing out applications to everyone who felt was worthy of the their "Master's Program" which was everyone who got a new belt in testing. They tried to make everything feel like everything they did was a favor to you.

They then had me meet with them and they told me the cost would be a three year contract at 200 bucks a month. They said I'd be locking in prices as prices would soon go up. Not sure if I was that committed so I just said I'll think about it. Well they kept bugging me and when that didn't work they tried to humiliate into doing it. Finally, they tried the force approach where they said I must sign-up for the Master's program as it wasn't an option and that all the paperwork was ready for me to sign. I strung them on as long as I could before I figured it was time to stop going even though I still had a few months left.

I never really understood what you get in the Master's program besides a Red Uniform whereas the non Master's people wore a white uni. I should've seen the warning signs when hardly anyone besides the very new people wore a white uni. One of the guys who signed up said how much it was for him and when I told him how much more they wanted from me he back peddled saying he may've been mistaken. Something was telling me that they'd figure out what you did for work and what kind of car you had then they'd determine how much your program would cost.

The place had a occult like feel to it as well. The people there hung on to every word Sensei said or did. Sensei said this, Sensei said that, Sensei did this, Sensei said we can't do this blah blah. I was ready for them to roll out the Kool-Aide. Sensei would never say anything directly to you though as he'd have other people do it.

Oh well, lesson learned. Time to start looking again. I hope this helps someone else looking.

Style
    In transition
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You sound like you need some judo in your life, sir.

Style
    Trad. JuJitsu, SanShou
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, at least you got out and didn't fall for that bullshit.
    Welcome to Bullshido.

a) What style was this?
    b) What styles have you tried out?
    c) What style are you interested in doing the most?
    b) All of the above.
    e) Judo

Style
    bjj/judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By all means give out the school's website so as to warn off other potential victims.

Finally, a noob with some sense. It brings a tear to my eye

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was karate. Also did some jj. I took a judo class at another school before I signed up. I really liked it but his hours didn't work for me or I would've signed up. I signed up with the other place since they did offer some jj. I think I would like the bjj the best but not seeing it close by so I'm leaning towards judo. I know what to look out for and what kind of questions to ask this time.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well first off, ya gotta tell us where ya are so someone in your area can suggest a better place to train... It would also help if you gave us the Sensei's name and/or the name of his organization/school, and it's location. A link to the organization's website, if applicable, would also be helpful.

This sounds like your typical McDojo setting, but there are some alarms that went off when you mentioned a 'cult-like' atmosphere. Provide us with more info about him or his organization, or we can at least help you find another way.

Quote Originally Posted by mckinney View Post
    It was karate. Also did some jj. I took a judo class at another school before I signed up. I really liked it but his hours didn't work for me or I would've signed up. I signed up with the other place since they did offer some jj. I think I would like the bjj the best but not seeing it close by so I'm leaning towards judo. I know what to look out for and what kind of questions to ask this time.
    Thanks for posting again. It'd still be nice if you posted more information about your location, or at least about the organization that you had a bad experience with.
    Last edited by Tex; 7/29/2010 5:48pm at . Reason: removed quote from OP.