Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Muay Thai for an old dog

Next month I turn 50 and I'm looking forward to it. I still have hair on my head and I am in great shape, more or less. I've been involved in martial arts since the 80s; however, I took the last 10 years off for some reason or another. This last year I took it up again and started up with Muay Thai. The workout is amazing and the stress release is out of this world. The thing is my ankles are a constant source of pain. I work out at a very good gym with some very, very good instructors and they take it easy on me when they see me start to limp so no problem there. The thing is, I can't seem to find a way to get the soreness out of my ankles. In the mornings it takes me about 15 minutes or so to get from a hobble to a walk. I am wondering if Muay Thai is just too much of a workout for me. I earned a 1st degree black belt in TKD back in the late 80s so kicking and striking works for me...at least it did. The gym I attend also has boxing but honestly I have this need to kick.

Oh, we jump rope and I will be honest to say that the rope is not my best friends. After I am done, my ankles are not happy.

I've had sore ankles since I started with Muay Thai last October so it doesn't seem to be going away. I take a week off and rest my ankles but as soon as I start up, the pain comes back.

Could it be the floor? Back in my TKD days I learned the art on a hard floor and now I practice on a rubber/matt type floor. They also practice BJJ in there so the floor is great if you fall down. It is nasty on the ankles, I think.

Just to be clear, the pain is not intolerable, it is just uncomfortable and inconvenient. Sometimes I can't give it 100 percent because I am afraid I may rip a tendon or something. So far, no tears, no injuries, except for the extreme, pain in the rear soreness.

My family tells me to just give it up, but I would prefer not to do that.

Any advice for an old warrior.

Style
    Bartitsu&German Longsword
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the forum. You might do a search and find a thread titled "Older Bastardos" appropriate. That thread has a bunch of old dawgs like myself discussing our owies and how we compensate to find a way to keep training.

My advice is to stick with your training, hopefully you will find a way to train without aggravating your ankles.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you dont have doctors in your neck of the woods? or a physio?

Style
    Boxing.MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ankle supports. loads of muay thai guys use them.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    you dont have doctors in your neck of the woods? or a physio?
    I went to a doctor. He said I was fine and that I should just "take it easy" on myself. Actually, I went to two doctors and both said the same thing more or less. The second one said that I should do calf strengthening exercises because they would really help out with the ankles and I did and I do. I have really thick legs.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    ankle supports. loads of muay thai guys use them.
    I have them. I have a pair by Fairtex that mostly kept my ankles warm which wasn't bad but didn't really do much beyond that. I tried a very snug pair and all they did was cut off the circulation. Then I tried some ankle supports by McDavid and they got in the way and last I tried an Achilles supporter that I bought off Amazon that probably does the best job.

A friend last night told me I should switch over to BJJ. He said I would get as good a workout if not better and I wouldn't be on my ankles as much, so I am considering that.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MGM View Post
    Welcome to the forum. You might do a search and find a thread titled "Older Bastardos" appropriate. That thread has a bunch of old dawgs like myself discussing our owies and how we compensate to find a way to keep training.

My advice is to stick with your training, hopefully you will find a way to train without aggravating your ankles.
    When I get a chance I will search for that thread. Thanks.

The sad thing is I am pretty good at. I am a better kicker and striker that lots of guys half my age. All those years I spent in TKD came in handy with Muay Thai. The kicks are different but I had the mechanics to control my legs.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Respect for training bud, sounds like your pretty fit. don't skip rope if it hurts lol
    Find a good physio to deep massage your ankles, a doctor can only tell you so much if it's not a medical condition.

Do you train up on toes most of the class, or do mix between being flat footed?

If your not in pain normally then there's no reason why you should stop muay thai, you just need to adapt your training to your needs, have you tried using thai oil on your ankles before training?

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get busted up from skipping rope but for me it is an achillies tendon thing. I throw kettlebells around instead.
    And from there I can do everything else.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shaolin pimp View Post
    Respect for training bud, sounds like your pretty fit. don't skip rope if it hurts lol
    Find a good physio to deep massage your ankles, a doctor can only tell you so much if it's not a medical condition.

Do you train up on toes most of the class, or do mix between being flat footed?

If your not in pain normally then there's no reason why you should stop muay thai, you just need to adapt your training to your needs, have you tried using thai oil on your ankles before training?
    I will look into the deep massage.

Because of the Muay Thai kicks I tend to be on my toes as much as possible. This may not be natural for me.

A muay thai workout does wonders for a good night sleep and damn it, I feel tough when I leave the gym!!

Page 1 of 3 123 Last