Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 5:45pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look out on that diet and make sure your eating like healthy, protiens, e.t.c
    What do you eat through out the day?

I used to be highly bad at running to just one year ago I would run one lap and gas out. I was pretty unhealthy though now I look hard at my diet and just kept running! it's pretty easy now! :) don't worry you will get better :D!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 6:57am

Style: The grapply boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get some combat boots and run long. The ankle support really helps the calves, and if you can't run in boots before you join, it's gonna suck when you start.

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 7:38am

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kcvmac View Post
    Get some combat boots and run long. The ankle support really helps the calves, and if you can't run in boots before you join, it's gonna suck when you start.
    This is the worst advice ever. It will ruin your natural running rythm and create bad habits. Dont run in boots unless you are planning to be super hi speed and do airborne, ranger, sf etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 3:21pm

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kcvmac View Post
    I don't know how the Canadian military does it, but for the US Army that's the wrong answer. We did all of one boots run in basic and NONE after.

Right now we're running three days a week with crossfit-style workouts on alternate days. Personally, I like to keep my running shoes as light and minimal as possible, despite being a heavier runner.

"Ankle support really helping your calves" makes no sense at all. You want to find your calves? Go run barefoot. Just don't overdo it at first.

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 10:24pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not planning on joining the military or anything, but I have been working on my cardio for a few months now (overall fitness is in the shitter, and my navel thinks it's about an inch lower than it should be) and there's a lot of good advice here.

I had a lot of pain in my legs when I started running, especially if I took breaks longer than 4-5 days in between and it kept up for a while. I eventually got a new pair of shoes with more support in the heel (foot-store guy recommendation) and increased my stretching regimen and that meant that while my legs still get a pounding (5'7'' and 215 lbs will do that), they recover by morning and I can keep up a 2-4 day a week schedule while maintaining other leg exercises like squats and milk. That and while it's embarrassing I toned my time down from an "ambitious" 8.5min mile to a 10 I can run farther every week or other week.

I don't know anything about running in boots, but it seems like a warped mentality to me. I knew a few guys back in my McDojo Karate days who would run with ankle weights of up to 5 lbs per leg (a la "3 Ninjas" training scene) and more than one "didn't complain" about the pain in their knees and ankles. ;)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 10:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cheese,

I'm a little bigger than you, and found that paring down my footwear was the answer as it necessitated a change in running form. I no longer heel strike, and consequently have no more hip/knee pain. Hell, I ran 6.5 miles in a pair of homemade huarache sandals once; no twists, sprains or strains. Look into it at least before armoring your feet up some more. ;)

Posted On:
    8/11/2010 1:00pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, Carpe, I'll take that into consideration, especially as I try and go for more and more distance where I feel any issues would be compounded by the sustained pounding they take. I try to take a lot of care of my feet as they're mildly flat and prone to pain on long runs or even just standing around without proper support. Back in my teens (regular sports, MA training and a slimmer waist) I would take every opportunity I could to run barefoot, but I'm not sure if this was any good for me (my feet were tougher, but it is also after this that I noticed pain in my feet after running a lot while shod).

Would a change in "running style" help a lot? Just today I tried running while minimizing the feel of impact or smoother steps and while I didn't notice much different, nothing was worse.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2010 5:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right, you got used to barefoot running. Shod running in most shoes almost necessitates a heel strike, and I'll bet you weren't when you were barefooting. Sounds like you might just need to let your arches strengthen on their own (but I'm also not a doctor, so take any advice on my part as anecdotal).

Just take it easy at first whatever you do, or your legs will let you know to back off, and very quickly. :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2010 8:02pm

Style: ATA TKD, Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Noctem View Post
    Shod running in most shoes almost necessitates a heel strike, and I'll bet you weren't when you were barefooting.
    Bullshit. Just because your heel may touch first does not mean you are heel striking, you want to pay attention to where your center of gravity is when you are first flat footed. If your foot is still out ahead of you when you first go flat footed, then yeah, that's bad. If your CG is underneath you, then you are probably more towards a midfoot pattern, and if you are slightly ahead of your foot at that point, you're toe running. Only really in sprinting (Up to 200m, some 400m runners) will you see the heel never really touch at all.

Mid 80's-90's yeah, there were a ton of shoes that were overbuilt, way too padded, etc. This produced a ton of injuries, especially when you had untrained shoe store schmoes saying "Yeah, you overpronate so you need this chunk of rubber." The trend anymore is towards more minimal shoes, but it still doesn't change the definition of heel striking.

A ton of running technique books and systems have been created in the last few years (Chi running,POSE to name a couple) to get "rid" of heel striking because it's "bad". Snake oil marketing, although like anything, it will work for a small yet rabidly vocal segment of the population.

They've done video analysis and studies, and the vast majority of competitive distance runners touch with their heel first, but again, that is not the same as heel striking.

I would bet that 75% (or more) of running injuries are caused either by increasing distance way too quickly, old/inappropriate shoes or adding speedwork before you are ready.

John

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2010 8:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    John,

I'm not in any disagreement. What I'm talking about is overstriding and letting the heel slam into the ground ahead of your COG. I don't think I was specific enough in making my point. And yes, doing too much too soon of anything is going to result in injuries.

My first reference for changing my running form (because I was one of those overstriders) was Gordon Pirie's book on running. Now my foot touches down under my COG, lands forefoot first and settles on the heel before picking my foot back up.

It's true that more minimal shoes are getting to be the trend, and I fuckin' love that, but I still see a LOT of people (in the Army) who won't give up their heavily padded, motion control shoes and bitch about how much they hate running/are hurt/are injured.

I think we're really on the same page, I just wasn't clear enough.

Ryan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast