Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 3:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: DZR JJJ / MMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Army PFT: 2mi Run

I'm looking to get into the US Army, the details of which are documented in another thread. Should everything go as hoped for I will ship off to basic training in November.

In the meantime, I've made it my goal to be able to pass the PFT prior to entering basic training. The push-ups and sit-ups are not a problem. Obviously I'm going to continue to train those exercises to try and improve my numbers, but the running is giving me some concern.

I've never been a big fan of cardio. I only started running a few months back.

At present I can run one mile in 7:05, but I can't maintain that pace and usually run two miles around 19:00.

Continuing to run will undoubtedly drop that time, but how should I go about it? Just continue to run two miles 2-3 times a week? Do higher intensity/shorter distance?

Also, after every session my legs are sore as all hell. I assumed this was like beginning weight training and my body would adapt after a couple of weeks, but it isn't. The pain isn't debilitating. Nothing some ibuprofen can't fix, but is this something that just doesn't go away? It usually lasts several days afterward and into my next training session.

I usually run on the dirt trails in the local park or on a treadmill.

Recommendations?

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 4:05pm

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It can be a lot of things. What is your weight and body type? If you are a little bit overweight it can be devastating to the parts of your body that are taking a pounding. Also you have to look at if your shoes compliment your foot type. I did track and field in high school, and did the 2 mile and 1 mile, and I was in constant pain. It wasn't till I got into the Army that I discovered that I basically had the flattest feet in the world. It did a lot to alleviate the pain.

Even though the APFT requires a 2 mile run to "pass" bct, to get from Reception Battalion to the real basic, you just have to run 1 mile in under 8.5 minutes. So you've already met that goal.

As far as cardio training, dont be afraid to mix it up, try doing sprint intervals to see if your legs feel any better. If so try mixing it up swimming or cycling, and only do the 2 mile run to assess where you are at.

What MOS did you end up taking?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 4:20pm

Style: ATA TKD, Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by apollyondestrud View Post
    I've never been a big fan of cardio. I only started running a few months back.

At present I can run one mile in 7:05, but I can't maintain that pace and usually run two miles around 19:00.

Continuing to run will undoubtedly drop that time, but how should I go about it? Just continue to run two miles 2-3 times a week? Do higher intensity/shorter distance?

Also, after every session my legs are sore as all hell. I assumed this was like beginning weight training and my body would adapt after a couple of weeks, but it isn't. The pain isn't debilitating. Nothing some ibuprofen can't fix, but is this something that just doesn't go away? It usually lasts several days afterward and into my next training session.

I usually run on the dirt trails in the local park or on a treadmill.

Recommendations?
    You should be running 2-4 miles, at a moderate pace (Say 9ish minute miles), 3-6 times per week. Once you are consistently running 12+ miles per week, then you can add one day a week of higher intensity work.

Your legs are sore because you're tearing them up by running faster than your fitness will support. Also, what kind of shoes are you running in and when did you buy them? Do you use them for other things than running?

Run smarter, not harder. ;) You've got the speed, but as you can see from a 5min/mile pace drop between mile 1 and 2, your endurance sucks rocks. (For example, currently I can run a 6:35 mile if I had to, my training pace is in the 7:30/mile range for most of my running.)

John

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 6:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: DZR JJJ / MMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    6'0" 175lbs. The shoes are: http://www.shop.puma.com/Cell-Amar-R...efault,pd.html . I'm broke, so they're all I have for running, day-to-day, work, et cetera. Bought them about four months ago.

And I'm not worried about the entrance physical or even passing the APFT by the end of BCT, so much as making life easier while I'm there and just improving my fitness for its own sake.

I haven't signed the paperwork yet 'cause they're still saying 68W is unavailable, so hopefully it opens up in October. I'm stubborn as hell and have my heart set on it.

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 7:03pm

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would probably say is a combination of the shoes, which are probably pretty worn out and not offering any support or cushioning, Since you dont seem to be morbidly obese, I think your body is just trying to adjust to doing something its not used to. Running should be a smooth, fluid motion, and a lot of people who are just starting make it a more jarring motion than it has to be.

Basically, if you show up in halfway decent shape, bct will be a breeze if you have your mind in the right place.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 9:55pm

Style: ATA TKD, Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by soldiermedic25 View Post
    I would probably say is a combination of the shoes, which are probably pretty worn out and not offering any support or cushioning, Since you dont seem to be morbidly obese, I think your body is just trying to adjust to doing something its not used to. Running should be a smooth, fluid motion, and a lot of people who are just starting make it a more jarring motion than it has to be.

Basically, if you show up in halfway decent shape, bct will be a breeze if you have your mind in the right place.
    x2 on all of that. And if they ask you if you like bowling, don't say a word. (That's how our DI trapped people for the latrine crew).

Do what they say, keep your mouth shut and work your ass off. You'll be fine.

John

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 10:23pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Run 2-4 mile 2x a week and run sprints 2x a week (30-60 second sprint followed by 60 seconds jog/walk).

Warm-up before you run, stretch afterward, get enough sleep, and eat right.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 5:53am

supporting member
     Style: Tae-Ninjitsu Mu Sool

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when i first switched over to army from navy, i couldnt pass the run for ****. but thats because i didnt do any kind of workout prior service besides training MA.

along with whats been posted, eventually your body is gonna adjust over time.

cause you gonna be doing it most times a week. basic will set you straight, at a regular unit, your definetly gonna be straight cause mandatory PT on

early saturday morning cause you failed a run is good motivation to keep your running game on point.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 8:54am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All you need to pass a PRT is a pulse....you'll be fine. Running distance throughout the week is great to build up those muscles...including the heart, and strengthen the lungs and address the mental aspect of running. To increase your no-**** speed try doing 400 and 800 meter repeats. Do these repeats as splits of your total run distance...meaning run them as fast as you want the culminating run to be (or a little faster) and gradually reduce the recovery time in between sets.

And don't stop doing pushups...doing pushups is the best way to get good at doing pushups, and work core.

best,
    A

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 9:07am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From experience I can tell you that you will build better cardio for the 2 mile run by making sure you run regularly. When you are in the Army generally most Army units run 3 days a week and do muscular endurance ( arm and ab exercises) 2 days a week. Before I joined the Army I was running 18 minute 2 miles and then continuously running before I shipped to training I was able to get my time down to 15 minutes and 30 seconds while in training I was able to get my 2 mile time down to around 14 minutes and 40 seconds.

so the best way to build your running cardio is by making sure you run on a regular basis.

I'm out of the army now but wish I was still in shape like I was before lol. My wife is still in the Army though.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast