Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 11:51am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Repub period advertisements?

OK, I'm finishing up my Sandow & Lewis' "Wrestling" and am starting a Shaw's "Teacher of Sparring." It has ~63 pages of actual content and then an additional 18 pages of period advertising. Now, in many of the books I've republished, I've included the period advertising but this represents over 20% of the manual in period advertising.

I have left them in in the past for historical accuracy and interest but now I'm beginning to question if it is desired. And the Police Gazette boxing manuals I have are even worse in that the advertising is in the front of the book.

So, just sort of an informal poll here, what's your preference, include the period advertisements (everything from firearms through "dog jewelry") or leave them out?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 8:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the ads are interesting in themselves as a sort of cultural record of the period, especially those for physical culture gadgets, etc. If you're looking at ads comprising 20% of the total content though, I'd cherry pick them for quirkiness/general interest and/or include a note in the reprint description so newbies who buy the print version don't feel like they're paying for irrelevant material.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 7:56am

Style: Uechi Ryu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or perhaps leave them off, and do a set of just ads? If people are interested they can get just that, and it will allow you to prioritize them as you see fit relative to other work. Just a thought. Thanks again for all your work on this - enjoyable reading and a valuable archive.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 8:15am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Jenkins View Post
    Or perhaps leave them off, and do a set of just ads? If people are interested they can get just that, and it will allow you to prioritize them as you see fit relative to other work. Just a thought. Thanks again for all your work on this - enjoyable reading and a valuable archive.
    I've thought about that. The "problem" (if you can call it that) is my choice to repub through Lulu. If I added a separate "this is the adverts" entry, then that would add another entry in the Lulu "storefront." It's already got >30 as it is and I'm reluctant to make it more confusing.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 9:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I'd leave them in. It's a more authentic reproduction of the original work that way and they're interesting in themselves.

Love your work, by the way!