Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 9:37am

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I Still Dislike Receiving Leg Kicks.

I managed to take three good hard round kicks to the left leg last night. I was supposed to go visit a friend of a friend's kickboxing school tomorrow night, so I knew I needed to try to recover quickly from last night's bruising. As soon as I got home I took a long hot bath to soak it and then sat in seiza position for a while watching TV to stretch out the quadricep. Usually this works great and improves my recovery. While sitting seiza I kept noticing that while I had finally (with great pain) settled into proper position, heels to butt, I was leaning noticeably to the right.

This morning I got up, sucked down some water, and went to the gym to try to work out the stiffness on the elliptical. I'm not a morning person, so I guess I wasn't terribly self-aware when I was on the machine. I started out stiff, got a little better. On the walk home my leg decided it wasn't going to bend any more. Upon closer inspection, my left leg was bigger than my right (not much, 60 cm circumference vs. 56). That could have explained the lean.

Now I'm sitting here and after resting it for half a day my left thigh is hard as a rock, a little numb to the touch, and my left foot is really cold. Oh well. I guess I don't get to play kickboxing tomorrow night after all.

Looking back, I'm not sure why I wrote this. Am I gonna die, bullies?

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 9:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It wouldn't be a bad idea to get your affairs in order. Sorry, leg kick = dim mak.

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 9:57am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should have iced it.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 10:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ICE > HOT BATH when bruises and swelling are concerned.

icing it now may still help a little, even if its only with the pain.. give it a try.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 12:01pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The numbness is a concern imo. It usually means you have swelling around the femoral nerve channel. I would skip your next practice and start ICING it. If there is still swelling it isn't too late to ice.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 12:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin\Judo\BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might want to go to the doctor. That does not sound like a regular bruise (I've been in Kyokushin since about 94, so I am familiar with bruising from leg kicks).

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 12:26pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always have trouble remembering when to heat and when to ice. It helps me to think about what each therapy actually does. Ice causes your blood vessels to contract. Heat causes your blood vessels to expand. This means that Ice reduces swelling by reducing the fluid that can get to an injury and that heat speeds healing by increasing the blood that flows to an injury area. Depending on the location of your injury and the time from the initial impact you can figure out which therapy to use.

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 1:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I want to recover quickly I use the whole rest, Ice, compression and elevation module. Hard with a leg I know but it seems to make me heal quicker.

BTW I was hit by a car once and was still Icing my leg about 3 days later.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 2:23pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IF you feel any sort of tingling sensation it is time for you to go to the doctor or ER. It means your nerve is starting to get pinched. As you may already know the reason leg kicks hurt so much is because of that huge nerve that runs down your leg.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 7:12pm

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys. I might have to try to scrounge some ice after work. Unfortunately that's eight hours in the future. I have noticed that doctors here tend to be heat fans. The last time I talked to an orthopod about one of my massively swollen legs he microwaved my leg and told me to stand on the leg as much as I could so gravity could promote circulation, and walk around a lot too for the same reason. That was a few days after the initial injury though.

While I slept last night (it's 0900 here) the swelling moved distally, which seems kind of weird since I sleep on my back. I can bend my knee about 90 degrees now though and it's not quite as hard as it was. It still feels different from the other leg, but not numb exactly.

The leg kicks in question, for anyone who wants to do this to someone else went pretty much like this: in the space of about a minute each time I threw a middle round kick with my right leg from a little too far out, my opponent turned into it and kicked me high in the supporting leg. The impact was about two hand-widths below the iliac crest and angled down about 20 degrees or so. Three of exactly the same kick seems to have had a cumulative effect.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast