Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2010 11:49pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My First Boxing Class

I've kept reading that boxing is the best striking art for a beginner to take up. As the theory goes, you only need to learn four kinds of punches: jab, hook, uppercut, and cross. On top of being easy to learn, boxing is also supposed to be effective.

Being a newcomer to martial arts, I decided to find out if this was the case. And I can wholeheartedly state that not only is this true, but I learnt more in one hour during my boxing lesson than I've learnt with 20 hours of Wing Chun.

The first discovery is that boxing is like dancing. In fact, footwork was the first thing I learnt. Not only did my first lesson teach me about balance, it taught me how to generate power from simple foot alignment.

As far as the actual punching is concerned, I have a hard time believing that Yip Man beat a world boxing champion (as portrayed in the movie). This isn't to say that I don't think Yip Man was a good martial artist, but it is to say that when it comes purely to punching, I don't think Wing Chun has anything on boxing.

Within five minutes, I learnt why: my Wing Chun has actually taught me some bad habits. My old sifu taught me to punch with thumbs up and my back straight. Not only does this decrease mobility, it ensures my punches lack any power.

In that one hour of boxing instruction, my strikes gained power with minimal effort. All I needed to know was how to place my feet, how to twist my hips, and how to keep dancing.

Lastly, I think boxing is an excellent complement to the Taijiquan I've already learned. Boxing teaches me how to generate power, and Taijiquan teaches me how to redirect power. From what I hear, Xingyi is quite similar to boxing, but I've never had a lesson so I can't entirely comment.

I think I'll continue with boxing, and learn it alongside some Taijiquan and (perhaps) Baguazhang. The Wing Chun I previously learned was absolute garbage apart from some interesting theory. In the future, maybe I will gain some ground fighting from wrestling or Sambo or Jiu Jitsu to round myself out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 12:17am

Style: ex-Chunner, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greetings and Salutations, fellow Vancouverite!

Which kwoon did you come from and which gym do you train at now?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 12:58am

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Previously, I trained at Wing Chun Martial Arts Hall in Richmond. My sifu was Leo Lit, and sigong was Chu Shong-tin. Lots of theory, but very little practice.

http://www.tstvingtsun.bc.ca/

For Taijiquan, I'm currently learning from Grandmaster Shou-Yu Liang, and I have utterly no complaints. He's the real deal, and has trained successful MMA fighters.

http://www.shouyuliang.com/

For boxing, I took my lesson today at Reality Martial Arts. I learnt from George Basargin and an 80-year-old man (whose name presently escapes me) who still has a lot of fight in him. I only learnt boxing today today, but I really like George's experience in Sanshou.

http://www.realitymartialarts.ca/

I'm also thinking of getting a membership to Sugarrays because it's the only 24 hour boxing gym in Vancouver, and membership is only $550 a year.

http://www.sugarrays.ca/

Lots of great martial arts here in Vancouver, and I really think we've got a hotbed of talent. Within blocks of each other on Broadway, we got a Gracie Barra gym, a Capoeira gym, a Sanshou/Sambo gym, and a Shotokon dojo.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 2:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    congratulations on joining boxing sooner rather than later. It is a great foundation for any striking you may wish to pursue in the future.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 3:13am

Style: No-Gi BJJ/MMA/MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    Within five minutes, I learnt why: my Wing Chun has actually taught me some bad habits. My old sifu taught me to punch with thumbs up and my back straight. Not only does this decrease mobility, it ensures my punches lack any power.
    I want to note that I’m not a Chunner never had trained it and I’m not a fun of it. That being said – punching with thumbs up was popular in early bare-knuckle western boxing as was “circling with the hands” (sorry I’m not a native English speaker – don’t know how to better describe it) that would look similar to slow air chain punching (the purpose was to confuse the opponent about which hand you will strike with). Its just that Boxing evolved while Chun stagnated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 1:45pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I did one boxing lesson/workout once at Cappy's Gym in Seattle, and it was really awesome. Same general experience which you're describing. I'll be back there on the regular when I've got more extra dough (boxing gyms in my area are fucking expensive), and Cappy's unfortunately isn't that close to me.

There were some people in that gym that could really ruin your day, I'll just say that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 1:54pm

Style: Trad. JuJitsu, SanShou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    In fact, footwork was the first thing I learnt. Not only did my first lesson teach me about balance, it taught me how to generate power from simple foot alignment.
    Was your WC stance feet next to each other (short horse)?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 2:41pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats on the boxing training. Don't fret too much about the WC. Boxing will get you up to top shape really quick. That was one of the things I was always proud of, when I was in highschool, my dad made me take boxing. I hated it at the time, but have loved it more and more everytime I train in something different.

Kickboxing was my fav and Xingyi has a lot of similarities. However, I recomend to my friends that they train boxing or kickboxing before Xingyi. Just because boxing training gets to the point a lot quicker. Xingyi has been great for me when since kickboxing started getting old, and I wanted to change things up a little.

You should get a supporting membership and then do a training log where you can document your progress.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 6:42am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes but how do you find a decent gym where you get the correct training
    and not some ti-bo type of work out

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 7:20am

Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnacle Bill View Post
    yes but how do you find a decent gym where you get the correct training
    and not some ti-bo type of work out
    Easiest way is to train somewhere with a decent competition record.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast