Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 7:09am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    'I mean yeah, when I posted it I wasn't out to hurt anyone. But I honestly do think that both sides of are equally as good, in different ways. Just depends on what the individual wants.'

if the individual wants to learn to fight, or defend themselves, one side of the fence you described is a fantasy land wasting their time. As long as they are clear on that and still choose to do it then I guess no harm done. It's when they are led to believe that those training methods will allow them to become a better fighter is when I think most people on this site have a problem.

Just curious - how much experience do you have on the first side you described. You say that they are equally as good in your opinion so I want to know just what real experience you have to base that opinion on?

I'm guessing you have little or no experience with Muay Thai, Boxing, Kick Boxing and other full contact arts and are giving us an opinion with only experience from one side of the fence.

My opinion on driving a Lamborghini is it handles just as good as a Ferrari. Now since I have driven neither, my opinion is utterly worthless and anyone basing an informed decision on purchasing one car over the other based on my opinion would be an idiot.

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 7:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ttt

Professor of Chaos

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 8:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's see . . .

I train in aikido and fully subscribe to some of its philosophies regarding conflict resolution.

I train in Shinto Muso-ryu jojutsu, a koryu that's been around since the 1600s.

I very recently started training in submission fighting from Steve Blackman.

So where do I fall in your simplistic little flow chart?

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 8:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    veridian is idiotic

Professor of Chaos

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 9:04am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Osiris
    Learning history and culture from martial arts is idiotic.
    I disagree. When you are studying koryu from a legitimate source, it is unavoidable. Trying to needlessly infuse culture and history into a martial practice that inherently has none - THAT, in my opinion, is idiotic.

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 10:20am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a Karateka and I fit your classification of "fighter", and so should any other serious Martial Artist. Theory defeated. Please do not post on behalf of Karate in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wastrel
    I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 11:38am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Veridian,

I have a few thoughts here. First off, your view is overly simplistic. There is no “fence”, no hard line that separates a “fighter” from a “martial artist”. It’s more like a dial with infinite degrees in between.

Secondly your extremes are wrong. You say “fighters” want to cause damage, “martial artists” want to avoid damage. There are many aspects to martial arts and each of them has their own “dial”. In the terms of focusing on fighting ability, Muay Thai, boxing, a MMA, gyms are on one extreme and XMA clubs and “tai chi in the park people” are on the other. They are all martial arts. If you talking about spirituality, harmony, and finding inner peace and such, MMA and XMA are on the same end of the dial, with “tai chi” aikido are on the other. If performing in front of an audience is a priority XMA and MMA might be lumped together again if the focus is sports competition. Just like you can have infinite degrees on each dial, you can have an infinite amount of dials to separate and classify every art, school, and artist.

The best thing anyone can do is really examine themselves, find out what they really want, and try to objectively decide if what they do matches it. I know my focus isn’t on fighting ability, I don’t plan to get in any fights anytime soon, but I feel reasonably prepared for finding myself in one. I like the feeling of accomplishment and stress relief I get from my training, but I don’t want a lot of spiritual mumbo-gumbo. I like competing in kata competitions and moving in a athletic and aesthetically pleasing manner, but it is important to me to have some reason behind my movements other than they are eye pleasing.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 11:42am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More direct to the point.

Fighting is a part of martial arts, but is not the only part. Not every martial artist is a fighter and not every fighter is a martial artist.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 11:44am

supporting member
     Style: 7 Star

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not as easy as this side of the fence and that side of the fence. I think all fighers are martial artists but all martial artists aren't necessarily fighters. There are different degrees with extremes at either end. There may be a poll in here somewhere.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 11:45am

supporting member
     Style: 7 Star

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Punisher
    More direct to the point.

Fighting is a part of martial arts, but is not the only part. Not every martial artist is a fighter and not every fighter is a martial artist.
    DAMMIT! You stole my line of thinking!
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast