Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 5:00am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fighters vs Martial Artists

This is my philosophy on MA. Just bear with me here for a minute.

Imagine a large field with a fence running right down the center.

On one side, there are the "Fighters". All the Kickboxers, Muay Thai, regular Boxers, and full contact arts, etc..... They are all standing around doing heavy bagwork, shadowboxing, and conditioning. In the center of them all is a large ring, which all these fighters often get into and have bouts and tournaments. They get in and pound the tar out of each other often, because that is what they love to do. From doing this, all of these people are exceptional fighters. Their primary goal is to become the best fighter. The standard by which they are judged is being able to have very powerful and effective fighting techniques.

On the other side, there are the "Martial Artists". All the Karate, Kungfu, Aikido etc....They are all standing around, some doing forms, some are meditating, others studing history and culture, and some working on techniques to escape street fights. For these guys, the primary goal is to be able to avoid injury and to stop/avoid any fights they might get into. The standard by which they are judged is being non aggressive and learning how to only use the amount of force necessary to stop their attacker.

Also, there are the sport TKD, and a few sport Karate/Kungfu people. These ones are on neither side, but instead sitting right on the fence running down the middle. From time to time they will hop down and go over and practice the forms with the Martial Artists. The can see alot of value in the way the MA do things, but at the same time long for the bright lights and glory of the ring. So they jump the fence to the other side and go hop in the ring. When they do this they have matches with each other, but the MA side of them still wants to avoid injury, so they have point matches. Then when they see something they like on the Martial Artist side it's right back to the other side of the fence, and so on....

Whenever a fighter runs into a martial artist, they often times have misunderstandings. People often group them all together, when they in fact have very different motives and objectives. Fighters want to be able to cause damage. Martial Artists want to be able to avoid damage. So when a MA is judged on the Fighters scale he scores very low, and vice versa.

The fence sitters tend to generally not be liked be either side. Because they try to fit in with both, they are accepted by neither. The martial artists don't like how they chase trophies. The fighters can't accept their low level of contact.

Well that's how I see it anyway.

Do you agree or disagree?

What side are you on?

This I think explains a lot of the misunderstandings people have on these boards. And why sport TKD aren't too well liked.

Thoughts?

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 5:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thank you for making that 200 times longer than it needed to be

go spar

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 5:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was longer when I first wrote it, I tried to shorten it as much as possible but still be able to get all my points across.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 5:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good analogy, but I think you're worried about hurting people's feelings.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 5:24am

hall of fame
     Style: jits with hits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Veridian -

Where do you live?
    Why did you say you lived in New Zealand?
    Why did you say you lived in Indiana?
    Why did you say you lived in Dallas?
    Why did you say you've been training with your sensei for a year if you just moved to Dallas?
    Why did you say you weigh 250 pounds?
    Why did you say you have a slender build?
    Why did you say you would fight greese?
    Why do you refuse to fight greese?
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
    West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
    (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 5:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bunyip

Read the end of the post entitled "Who carries a weapon"

I explained it there

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 5:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by feedback
    Good analogy, but I think you're worried about hurting people's feelings.
    Interesting

Please elaborate.

I mean yeah, when I posted it I wasn't out to hurt anyone. But I honestly do think that both sides of are equally as good, in different ways. Just depends on what the individual wants.

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 6:37am

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I mean if someone tries to hurt me, sure Im gonna avoid it...but then hurt them the **** back....flawed I say. Your analogy annoyed me. Personal opinion of course.
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 6:50am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    'The can see alot of value in the way the MA do things, but at the same time long for the bright lights and glory of the ring.'

Here is one flaw in your argument - a huge one.

I think you are implying that people who train realistically with contact seem to want to be in the spotlight and want the thrill of competing and winning.

Maybe that is true for some, but there is a whole other group of us who could care less about the competitions and we do the hard contact training against resisting opponents because we know that is what will prepare us for a real encounter.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 7:03am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Veridian - is the explanation you gave on the thread that you are a liar and an asshole? but from this point forward things are going to be different??
Page 1 of 18 1 234511 ... LastLast