Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2010 4:44pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Atlanta Muay Thai fighter Adrienne Simmons in coma

Taken from http://www.georgiafighters.com/adrie...mmons-in-coma/

Basically, while competing in a Florida Muay Thai competition Adrienne Simmons was KOed and was unresponsive. She was rushed to the hospital for brain surgery and, as of the article's writing, was still in a coma. One of the commenters on the story claims to have heard she passed away, but I am not putting any weight to that until I hear it from a reliable source.

I trained with her for a while at Bangkok Boxing and she is incredibly nice and talented. I hope this all turns out for the best.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2010 9:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And it looks like the rumors of her passing away were true. If I could figure out how (if possible) to edit the thread title I would.

Posted On:
    7/26/2010 9:28pm

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is pretty awful. I cant even imagine what thats like for her family, team mates and friends...Have they released any information if this was just a result of trauma, or if there were other factors?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2010 9:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    only info I have seen regarding the incident is at the link above. It's not uncommon for fighting deaths to get into the news so I will be checking the local news pages tomorrow to see if anything is up with more substantial details

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    7/27/2010 2:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Adrienne is a friend and someone I've always considered a wonderful, genuine person who overcame a lot to do something that made her feel good about herself. We trained together and I became friends with her very quickly because of what a cool person she is. To have something like this happen to someone like her is the worst kind of tragedy. I only hope her boyfriend comes through this ok.

The girl who she fought during this match is also another very good friend of mine. Too many good people have been hurt by this.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    7/27/2010 2:47pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Atlanta Woman Dies In Kickboxing Match

ORLANDO, Fla. -- An Atlanta woman has died after she was knocked unconscious during an amateur kickboxing tournament in Orlando last weekend.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office said Tuesday that Adrienne Simon,34, was participating in the International Kickboxing Match held at an Orlando hotel on Sunday. The tournament is sponsored by the International Kickboxing Federation.

During the third round of a three-round fight, she received a left hook which knocked her unconscious.

The fight was stopped and a doctor at the scene treated the woman. She was then taken to a hospital where she was treated for two days before dying.

A sheriff's office spokeswoman says the death was considered an accident.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/24408030/detail.html

RIP...
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/27/2010 3:46pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, so sorry to hear that condolences to her family and team.

A death in an amateur fight in a very reputable organization is incredibly rare. Does anyone know how the fight was going? Were there a lot of knockdowns or anything weird?

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    7/27/2010 4:00pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Adrienne fought on Saturday, apparently it was a hard fight. But she won and that took her to the finals. In the final fight of the tournament she was 8 counted twice in the first round and then KOed completely in the third. Apparently she came out of it for a bit and then collapsed shortly after.

It's to raw and close to home for me to be posting about it but that's the basic facts of the deal.
    Last edited by Anna Kovacs; 7/27/2010 4:25pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2010 5:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw an interview with Chike and he basically confirmed everything above, that she got hit with a hook and was KOed hard, her head bouncing off the ring. According to him there were no EMTs and no ambulance on site, only the ring doctor, so it was like an hour until she got into surgery.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 10:02am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimaira View Post
    ...According to him there were no EMTs and no ambulance on site, only the ring doctor...
    I read the same thing in another article. Isn't having an ambulance present required by the Florida boxing/athletic commission?

I've heard about shows (not in FL) being delayed because a fighter had to be taken to the hospital, and they couldn't resume until the ambulance returned.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast