Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2010 9:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doesn't your organization have standardized test prerequisites? As I recall, I've seen Aikikai, Yoseikan and Yoshinkan requirements on their home pages.

It seems to me that not testing when you meet the requirements is just procrastination. Reasonable people don't take an unnecessary extra 50 credit hours of college courses when pursuing a degree unless they have a good reason.

If your school doesn't test at a rate that's consistent with your rate of progress, you may want to consider alternatives. You're learning a skill set. There is no romance in possessing the requisite skill set but not being recognized for it.

Edit: Actually, it's only romantic to do so; completely impractical.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    7/27/2010 12:46pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I held a shodan for 12 years before I tested again, that wasn't for the lack of opportunity or ability, I just chose to wait because it wasn't important to me.

You are what you are, it matters not what rank is written on a bit of paper when you're on the mat.

There's no procrastination in that at all.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2010 1:00pm

Style: Kyokushin, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Stiglitz View Post
    I held a shodan for 12 years before I tested again, that wasn't for the lack of opportunity or ability, I just chose to wait because it wasn't important to me.

You are what you are, it matters not what rank is written on a bit of paper when you're on the mat.

Jesus will you ever just say something fucking stupid so i'm not just following you around this site agreeing with you?

Shodan for five years now going for Nidan in December on my Sensei's decision. Personally i'm more interested in going for a twenty-man kumite but thems are the breaks. Its also a popular quote in kyokushin in ireland that 'on the mat belts don't mean ****.'

If you're happy in what your are learning and are growing as a martial artist and a person, why bother too much with citations?

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    7/27/2010 1:03pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only troll fuckwits and idiots

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2010 2:14pm

Style: Aikido, Aikiken, Aikijo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the system of promotions as it is, largely because we don't just practice the tecniques for the exams we have to take, we all practice the same Waza in order to "plant the seeds" as our Sensei says, even though sometimes we can barely keep up!
    I know it's stupid, but I would like to hit 4th kyu as fast as possible so I can get my new exam booklet... Stupid, I know!
    Of course, with this I don't mean that i'm willing to rush things, it's just a wish, a silly wish!

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    7/27/2010 3:08pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi mate..

I'm sure I asked you this before but I may have forgotten to make the post.. anyway..

Where in sorrento are you ?

My wife and I have taken holidays there before and plan to again maybe next year. We normally stay near to the harbour area, where is your dojo ?

Dave

~Ella Wheeler

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/27/2010 4:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only troll fuckwits and idiots
    as a fuckwit and idiot that he's trolled, i approve of this statement!

as to the OP and his question, the organization i'm in sees promotion through the kyu ranks, and perhaps early in the dans, a little differently. Rather than a strict time limit, they have a certain amount of hours on the mat that they expect a student to put in to earn promotion.

While a student is putting in these hours, the instructors will have them working on the predefined skills that comprise promotion to the next rank. It is the obligation of the instructor to help see to it that the student is improving accordingly, assuming the student is putting forth the effort.

As you progressively advance in rank, they start looking at refined practice, rather than simply mimicking gross motor skills.

In addition to simply working on what is needed for promotion, we often also look at more advanced stuff and practical application drills, just to give students an idea of where the basics are headed. I personally also find this encouraging in that i see improvement in my approach to basic techniques as i learn how the principles are applied outside of techniques in kata (we're a tomiki school).

And, of course, for folks that have taken huge breaks, as i did, there is some amount of retreading old ground as you get back on the mat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2010 6:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Title of the thread refers to testing for shodan. That's the subject I was referring to. Making the distinction in my post would have been redundant.

However, I've seen many situations where I'd rather be the nidan than the shodan in a discussion of technique on the mat. The room just to do the techniques without drama is the greatest impact, in my estimation.

There are a lot of people more concerned about the next test rather than getting techniques right. In retrospect, I think they're the smart ones because they end up being the ones guiding the art.
    Last edited by Adam Alexander; 7/27/2010 6:52pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 1:08am

Style: Aikido, Aikiken, Aikijo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @ Hugo Stiglitz: Did you and your wife stay at "La vela bianca" hotel? Did you like my town? :XXcat:
    The dojo is a few meters away from Tasso Square, the main square where all the flags are!

@Wonko221: my bad, i didn't write correctly. We too have to train for a certain number of hours, it's just that we convert these hours to months of practice to get an idea of the times!

@Adam Alexander: as i said earlier we all practice the same Waza to get the hang of even advanced tecniques, sometimes the Sensei will have ALL of us deshi practice someone's exam tecniques and sometimes we group and practice the programs. As for Dan exams they mostly involve Jiyuu Waza so once you reach those heights programs don't matter anymore, and in my humble opinion this is good!

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 6:29am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Alexander View Post
    ..//.. I've seen many situations where I'd rather be the nidan than the shodan in a discussion of technique on the mat.
    You discuss technique whilst on the mat ?

Let me put that into perspective, again refering to my 12 year period as a shodan...

No one ever asked me what my actual grade was and despite only having a shodan menjo hanging on a wall in my home, I was sitting and training amongst yondan aikidoka none of whom ever questioned who I was or my technical ability, this was because, although only holding a shodan, my technical abilities were far beyond that of the grade I held, as such, to use your comments, I could (and did) discuss the technicalities of aikido within 'senior' groups without any issues what so ever.

It's not specifically the grade you hold, but the knowledge you carry and how you apply that which gains the respect of both your peers and seniors, this is what I meant when I said ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humm
    you are what you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Alexander View Post
    ..//..There are a lot of people more concerned about the next test rather than getting techniques right. In retrospect, I think they're the smart ones because they end up being the ones guiding the art.
    BULL-FUCKING-****.

If that's how you REALLY think, why don't you go buy yourself a 10th dan and call yourself Soke. Then you can really start guiding the art.

The issue of quality is one of many reasons why I don't bother with Gendai Budo any more.

~Ella Wheeler
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast